How to pick a freaking career? What is YOUR career?

UGHH. I want my hubby out of the army! I miss him. He is miserable. The people he works with are slackers and he picks up the mess. He's sore, he's hurt, he's ready to be done.
He is sooo worried about getting out and not being able to support us. he said he would feel comfortable getting out if I made at least 20,000 a year.
Tuesday thru Thursday I will be taking the GED FINALLY!! Then my next step is schooling. But idk what I want to dooo!! :...( I'm torn. neither of us want me to go to school then hate the job I picked and me be just as miserable as him. I took a 'what should your career be' test. 32 questions later I get silly answers. though #1 isn't so bad. Always wanted to. I used to want to be a teacher too. But no. And social worker had crossed my mind. But then I'd want to take all the kids home with me. :(
Actor
Recruitment Consultant
Politician
Marketing
Psychologist
Religious Minister
Teacher
Social Worker
Human Resources Manager
Sales
Lawyer
Advertising

Read more: What career will suit your personality? | iVillage UK http://www.ivillage.co.uk/what-career-will-suit-your-personality/121527#ixzz1uuPBr0H5
Parenting: Information & advice

grrrrrr... I wanted to do ultrasound tech and even started researching more into it! when I did more research, I found many places only have one, maybe two employed. :(

Comments

• Ypi should just start with your GED and everything else you can figure out when your done!!
  • Ahh I constantly did this lol. I am certified in 2 things and now back in school. I am going for holistic nutrition but I think I'm changing to law school.
  • I didn't want something that was going to take me YEARS to complete lol
  • Those tests always gave me some crazy answers, lol. And some really obscure job titles I've never heard of. I ended up getting my degree in Business Administration because it encompasses so much of our lives. But you will definitely figure it out! It just takes time.
  • whatever you do, do NOT pick a subject just because of the pay packet at the end. I did 3 years getting my BA in Criminology and Criminal Justice, and although it was interesting, i have since decided that i dont want to work in that field. I became a Human Resources manager by pure fluke and LOVED it! If you want a well paid job thats forever throwing up new things, then HR would be a good way.
  • @Mybabe step one is complete. I know I passed. I might even got a good score :)

@Bahamamama4828 my family said that I should just start ging. Start with that and then I can switch it up or choose. My mom said she would go with me to a job fair. I wonder if that will be helpful.

@Molly what is that Molly? What do you do on a daily bases?

@JoshnEviesmum but money is so nice! lol. I know I can't just choose it for the money. But we want nice things. I'd like to find a job that is rewarding in happiness and money. I'd prefer our son to go to private school(well depends on if we live back here where our family does). My cousin started going to school for, shoot.. where people go and get information for lawyers. But that sounds boring imo. What is human resources?

• I'm going into nursing as well. I'm so excited!!
  • I've always wanted to be a teacher but didn't want to b in school much l?onger, nd after having my own kids decided nah that's not for me... I work for the juvenile hall, nd I love it... I'm currently an Office Assistant, but work wit the Correction Officers nd I work in payroll.. after seen how thy get paid, well I decided mayb that's somethng I can do, its not all about money either, u can actually make a difference in a childs life if u wnt to, nd possibly lead thm to be a better person... I am not positive if that's were I will end up, but its an option for me... I also see the Probation Officers jobs and maybe wud enjoy doin that, but that's just a lot of paperwork I thnk... whatevr u do follow your heart, you can go to college for general education nd wen u decide what career is for you then change it... but make sure whatevr u decide makes u happy:)
  • Congratulations!!!! Keep moving in a positive direction!!!
  • Maybe talk to a school counselor and gets some advice on fields you are interested in. I am an Aircraft assembler. Love my job. Im hands on out in the factory, work with mostly men. I would be bored and go crazy stuck behind a desk all day, or in an office with a bunch of hormonal women lol. No drama working with the guys lol. As far as your husband, my job employees alot of military people, retired, reserves, etc. we do quite a few militery contracts (build planes and helicopters for them). Its real good pay and benefits too.
  • @momma_erica I'd love to be one of the guys! No offense woman who may read this, but damn you annoy me! lmao.. I've never been the girl to have girl friends. He always talks about how contractors with the army gets paid a lot. He's so funny, one min he'll talk about doing this one job(I forget what its called) where he goes around to different stations and pretends he's nobody but really he's watching the higher ups and such. Making sure no on e is abusing their title. In the next he's bitching about the army, next he says he'll get out, get a degree and rejoin as an officer.

@Mybabe Thank you :)

@Mami_of_3 I always wanted to be a teacher until one day in my teens I was thinking about just how cruel ids can be. And I'd want to ground all the mean kids. I honestly would probably play favors sadly and give the mean kids bad grades. no joke. So I can't be a teacher. I wouldn't be able to do it right.

@LilSugarsMomma @Mom2ING I'm worried I won't be able to remember all the things. But do nurses really need to know a lot? Or do they just sign people in at the docs and write in to the computer what the patient says? I don't think I would be able to take blood or give shots. I hate needles!
  • GED came in the mail today. wooo. Now what? lol. How do I find where career days are?
  • Probably gonna have to go to college fir a career but a job you can go to usajobs.gov or try your city and county websites... those jobs are entry level and pay tons!!! For example if you have a county nursing home in your area apply for dietary aide ...(county,state, city and federal) jobs always start you off higher than minimum wage!!! Good luck hope this helps...
  • what I mean by career day, is where you walk around to different booth that have different types of jobs and you learn about those jobs.
    I planned on doing something for the govt. :)
  • Oops OK sorry lol!!! Misread what you put ... check your local paper!!! Hope it works out for you!!
  • edited June 2012
    Wow @Leggs2011 .. you are all over the place. This us normal tho. Most college students will fund themselves changing their career path/major at least once
  • When you are choosing a carreer, just remember that you're not obligated to stay in that field for 20+ years. Unlike our parents who were expected to be loyal to one company and move up the ladder there for their entire caterer, people entering the workforce today are expected to change careers 5 or more times. Plus, whatever you decide to study may have nothing to do with the work you wind up doing. My friend has the coolest job (not sure of her title...but it's something in international marketing), and her major was Anthropology!!!
  • *career (not caterer)
  • My major is hr. I was a recruiter, but it was very stressful and not good forhaving a family.I know work for a private college finding their grads jobs.I love what I do now.it's related to hr but not exactly hr.there are so many aspects to hr.