I have a choice to make...

I recently found out that I have a tumor in my head (as if my luck wasn't bad enough, I have no job and no money and will be homeless soon and my husband is in a rush to get me to sign the divorce papers like he can't get rid of me fast enough...)

And now my doctor tells me that I should stop breast feeding.

I love my only daughter with all my heart. She's 8 months and I love the closeness we share during feedings. But most importantly, it's what's best for my daughter. I was planning on weaning her shortly after her first birthday.

If I continue breast feeding, There's a chance (not a certainty) that my head aches, dizzyness, all over joint pain, and hormonal issues will get worse.

If stop breastfeeding, there's a chance (not a certainty) that my symptoms will get better.

There's no way of telling how either choice will affect the tumor as well. So I guess what it all comes down to is how much more I can take. Call me crazy, but I'm leaning towards what's best for my daughter. I really can't help but think that this is just a way of the universe saying that I can do anything.

I also have no one to talk to...so here I am venting on the only place I have to go to. Thank you for reading. After typing this I realized that my decision is simple.

:X

Comments

• It sounds as though you already know what you want to do. There arent any certainties but you have to do what feels right for you and your child. All I will add, is that as much as your daughter may benefit from BF, if you are suffering a great deal, I would imagine the benefits of having a healthier mom would be just as important as your little one needs you strong.
  • All the best with which ever way you decide but if it was me in that situation I would be looking at it one way. Yes the closeness you get while bf is great but your lo needs their mommy and if symptoms are that bad and doctor says it could get worse then I would stop. I know this is a hard choice to make as it feels like bf is the best choice for your lo but so is being there for them.

Sorry if it seems I am pushing it but I have very much had to face my own mortality this week in a similar way. Good luck with everything and hope you get better.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I lknow its going to benifit her and I think its great that you are thinking of her but I also agree she needs a healthy mommy and she needs you to feel ok so you can spend time with her and care for her. I'm so sorry that you are going through this I will be keeping you. In my prayers beawesomee
  • Omg how did they find the tumor? are the symptoms manageable?
  • Just do what you feel is right, but another way of looking at it---what if your symptoms do worsen and you are suffering, miserable, and unable to spend good quality time with your baby. She will be just fine if you need to stop breastfeeding. You will bond and find closeness in other ways :X Good luck, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through.
  • I agree baby needs a healthy mom
  • Good luck and prayers!
  • I have a brain tumor also (not the coolest thing to have in common). Mine was discovered after I had my son....Hormones caused it to get bigger. I couldn't breastfeed because of all the crazy dizzy spells and headaches....and I ended up with epilepsy also so I was on a bunch of meds and in and out of the hospital...couldn't take care of Owen or myself (I didn't even know I was married or had a kid at times). Idk what type of tumor you have...mine is in the very middle so they don't want to touch it. Sorry for such a long post just wanted you to know that I understand what you're going through and I'm praying for you! It's no fun and I was sad I couldn't breastfeed so do what you think is best for you and your daughter. Don't feel bad if you do have to quit though your daughter needs a healthy momma!
  • I agree that your daughter needs a healthy mummy but think if you wanna keep bf, keep going while you can manage. I had to stop to go back on meds for my arthritis, I hated it but also glad I did 8 and half weeks each with my two sons so I gave them a great start. You have done 8 months and that's awesome!
  • if you get insurance, see a naturopathic doctor!!
  • First off Im so sorry about your tumor :( & your divorce & being homeless. I cant believe your alone in this! Though its best for your daughter formula is good also. Plus she passed the 6 month mark and has gotten alot of breast milk in her to make her healthy and strong. I know you want to do whats best for her but I think her mommy being there and healthy is what she needs more. Formula can be just as good. (I know im going to get alot of hate talk about formula but its still good, ALOT of babies are given strictly formula and turned out perfectly fine.) In your situation I think she needs her mommy.
  • How is everything??
  • No one can make this choice I probably wouldn't want to stop either but think about what the doc said as well and I probably wouldn't want it to get worst after all you do have a daughter to take care of. Good luck with your choice and keep us updated.