I Don't Get These People...

124»

Comments

• I pay taxes just like everyone I work go to school and get food stamps and WIC and if I wanted to have another baby I would and no one would have the right to judge
  • edited October 2012
    *-:)
  • edited September 2012
    I'm just going to jump out on a limb and say I'm all for those who really need help, but why the EFF is fertility covered by medicaid?! Seriously!
  • @RTMommy in our case, I was married, about to graduate, and my husband had a damn good job- but no insurance. I have soonercare (Oklahoma version of medicaid) and they covered like 2 visits and two rounds of clomid, and would have paid for the surgery required to fix my ovaries. That's it as far as fertility goes. Lol but there was a deductible I do believe. Only "assistance" so to speak we had.
  • @rtmommy wondering the same thing =/ ?
  • @MrsStanley_x2 interesting. I guess I just don't get how you qualify for anything when you have a good job.

I'm constantly being solicited for things to reduce my payments or get assistance for things (junk mail) and I make more than a family of 8 would need to be under to qualify. I still have a hard time getting ahead as I'm paying off student loans, etc. I just hate to see people abusing the system and procreating when they can't afford themselves.

Your case wasn't typical. The rest was a tangent... Haha.

@SalasMommy glad I wasn't the only one wondering.
  • @RTMommy I understand the frustration (I've since finished a double degree, also have student loans, etc). We now have insurance through my husbsnds work, but it's absolutely the worst ever, so we use Soonercare as a back up to make sure the twins are covered one way or another. My sister in law is one of the system abusers, and I bite my tongue so hard it bleeds. Our husbands have the same job (hers actually makes like 25¢ more) yet she has everything from food stamps to cash assistance. She dropped out of high school, and can't hold a job longer than a month because she doesn't like working. I can assure you, we have no need for food stamps (I manage our money very well), yet they go broke after a week and still blow food stamps on junk and ask to borrow money. It infuriates me! Sorry I sort of rambled there. Lol but I understand where you are coming from!
  • Thankfully in Washington State they have a time limit as to how long you can be on the cash assistance. I believe it's 2 years, but I could be a little off. That's no matter what...even if you have more kids or not...it doesn't start over with every child. They still offer food and medical assistance, but I'm not sure if that has a limit. I understand if you're working and busting your butt for the pay you do get, and getting help because you need it. That's not it at all. It's the people who have never had a job, and don't plan on getting a job or education that keep having child after child after child. I've known women who have complained about their children reaching the age of 18 because they'll stop "getting paid"...and "what am I going to do?" I've overheard a pregnant woman saying (in a full Dr's office mind you) that she couldn't wait to have her baby so she could finally get paid (get cash assistance)...then went on saying the first thing she was going to was get was a pedicure, a manicure and get her hair done. There are people that really need it.
  • @rtmommy (in response to your question "why the eff is fertility covered by Medicaid?")

Taxation and other public policies are designed to either encourage certain behaviors or discourage certain behaviors, or to raise funds for a specific purpose. As a matter of public policy, the U.S. government (and the resulting "common law" that has evolved over the last several hundred years of U.S. democracy) have decided that people having children is a behavior that should be encouraged (hence, there are tax deductions, exemptions, and credits...for everyone...living off government assistance or working). Denying people on Medicaid fertility assistance is plain economic discrimination and could be considered a gateway to even more discriminatory policies...

Also, consider the small majority of people who for years put their career first (paying lots of tax dollars into a system that...idk, lets say: funded a war they didn't believe in...). These same people found themselves in their late 30's, unemployed, unable to get employment because of current economic conditions, and they suddenly realize, the last opportunity they have to have a biological child, happens to be while they're on Medicaid.

People need to start thinking outside themselves!!!
  • Plus, if Medicaid doesn't have to cover fertility assistance, insurance companies aren't far behind. Meaning, the surge in fertility assisted conceptions will be primarily composed of only the wealthy-born, arrogant and entitled individuals who I'm sure none of us want more of consuming space/air...lol! (That was my poor attempt at making a joke...)
  • @Math_Mommy...joke or not, I see your point and Ic completely agree with you!
  • edited September 2012
    @Cristinalynn yeah, I grew up "the poor-kid" in a VERY wealthy school district...as a result, I can't stand 90% of people born into money (an attitude I can't seem to shake...even though it has hindered my business ventures significantly). Realizing that our kids are going to be growing up "better off" than most, bf/bd and I have set regulations about what to buy for our kids and when, what/when/how much they should contribute to our family and their own "wants", and how to talk to our kids about money vs. what is more important. Most importantly, we planned to teach them how to treat/interact with those less fortunate...BEFORE we started having children.
  • edited September 2012
    I wonder how many of the 19-20 year-olds that disparaged my family last year (for my decision to not marry bd before planning kids) have had the same conversation(s) with their husbands...
  • @Math_Mommy I completely understand the discrimination argument. I suppose that I just feel people who ARE abusing the system shouldn't be entitled to reproduction.

As for being the poor kid in a rich school system, I was raised by my dad. A single father with 3 children. He's never made more than $30k in one year, ever. He was on public assistance the first year of raising us alone so he could line up childcare. After that, he worked his ass off providing for us. He never applied for or tried to accept any other form of help. He taught us the value of hard work and how to get out of the poverty we grew up in. I received some grants for college because of his low income and had to take out loans for the rest. Because of where I came from, I completely appreciate the life I have now. I don't feel it's arrogant of me in any way to have pride in the fact that I came from nothing. I also have the attitude that if you're capable of working then you should...and if you still need help, I'm all for helping. I just don't think it's right to support those who WON'T because they don't want to.

That's some background on why I said what I did. And thanks for the attempt at a joke. I've got nothing right now. Hah
  • @rtmommy in a perfect system, adults who abuse that system would receive no benefits, yet their dependants would. How do we ensure that happens? Either by setting standards for people to "qualify"(the current system for public assistance)...or someone (actually MANY someones) determine on a case-by-case basis who is deserving of assistance (which would not only burden the system, but leave room for discrimination and corruption...and leave lots of room for subjective judgements such as "she has an iPhone, she doesn't need fs"). So, we (as taxpayers) are left having to accept the flawed system...because there is no other fiscal/practical/ethical solution...

I hope this makes sense...I'm multitasking while preparing dinner and preventing my toddlers from killing each other...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Math_Mommy you make sense. Multitask on, mama!
  • I agree with this post,also. I do not receive government assistance nor have I ever applied for it but we have 2 babies and we are not trying to have any more.We pay for everything ourselves...Food,clothing,electricity,and anything else you would get on assistance.I see no problem with being on it if you really need the help,but having more babies while on it?No.I'm not even on it and we can't have more babies yet until these one's grow up a little(for my sanity).I am on the Mini Pill as I am EBF and we use condoms every single time.Government assistance is for people who are trying to get back on their feet and only need help for a little while,right?My husband thinks that Government assistance is a shame to us and our family so that's why we can't get on it.Plus we don't need it at all.Even if we did need it,he still would decline it because he said that we can work ourselves and do everything by ourselves...
This discussion has been closed.