no more cats?

edited January 2011 in Second Trimester
Why are pregnant people not supposed to be around cats,?

Comments

• You can be around cats just you can't clean out the litter box. If you read the what to expect when you're expecting book it covers why some people think they have to get rid of their cats but really they don't
  • Okay cuz I just got a cat and its really lovable, and my step mom told me I needed to get rid of it cuz I was preg, I didn't understand why tho
  • There is something that cats carry that can be harmful to the fetus but most people are immune to it especially if they have had their cats a long time or if they have had previous cats. I would suggest nor letting your cat go outside though during your pregnancy.and I suggest buying that book its amazing haha I have two kitties and I was afraid of the same thing until I read that book =)
  • I still clean my litter box only bc there isn't anyone else to do it. But I use protective gloves and sanitize everything so my doc says its ok.
  • I've cats all my life,
  • Nope, Im keeping my cat Mr sophie, my fiance told me I had to get rid of him too so I,looked it up and its the toxoplasm in the feces you can't be around. Now my fiance gets cat box duty :) consider it a bonus to pregnancy.
  • But if you have no one else to clean it they just recommend thoroughly wash your hands after. Maybe crack a window too
  • Wats wrong with the litter box
  • YOU CAN KEEP YOUR KITTY :) If you feel uneasy about the whole toxoplasmosis thing your doctor can test you for your immunity to it. Once you get it, you don't get it again like chicken pox. It has no symptoms in people with normal immune systems and that is also why babies get so sick because they have a decreased immune. Protecting with gloves and taking a shower right after is a good way to avoid issues as well.
  • A doctor's mask is also a good option, if you're really concerned.
  • edited January 2011
    I've also heard about cats sitting on babies faces, they smell the milk, so would advise net