abortion topics should be banned

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
I really think that sites like this should not allow abortion topics. Everyone has such strong opinions on this extremely touchy subject and a lot of opinions get out of hand even if you have respect for everyone else. Agree with me or not. Pregnancy comes with high emotions and this is a high emotion subject.

Comments

• I agree...plus this is a pregnancy forum or ttc forum i really dont know why abortion is being brought up :/
  • I truly agree. It's so many women out here who can't get pregnant that would do anything to. It hurts me to read or hear other women saying they thinking about abortion.
  • I disagree...if they say they might or are thinking about we can help them. Steer them in the right direction or even be supportive. We are all different so sharing opinions can help. Not just ban them for what they feel or what they beleive.
  • I don't believe in abortion but I don't think the topic should be banned. This is a support forum & some of these women that need advice don't have anyone else to talk to. As sad as it is to see someone considering abortion, it's still their personal choice. No matter what your views are, these women are just looking for help.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I just feel sometimes its for attention as well.
    @Lynn25 you are so right about the girls who wanna be prego and can't.
  • I personally don't agree in abortion but some of the women have no one esle to speak with or turn to. If its their decision to abort, who are we to judge them? We donthave to comment on the discussion, but we should let them have the discussion.
  • I think it shouldn't be banned, bc if i was alone and had no one to talk to you. I would want to look for support and reasons not to do it from ppl in my shoes. Someone might have an opinion that i didn't think about. I honestly thought about abortion and thought i had no other option but it was this site that gave me the courage to either keep it or adoption. So no it shouldn't be banned. Everyone should just proceed with caution on the subject.
  • I understand that we can possibly help some one in a forum like this however there are high emotions and opinions on this subject and many people can be cool in the beginning about it but end up angry or upset with others opinions.
  • If we wanted to get technical this is a pregnancy forum so should women who are not pregnant be banned as well? There have been some girls that have misused the forum for attention but that's not the case for everyone that posts topics about abortion.
  • Really you are going to hear the same thing. Don't kill the child
    Someone out there can't have children
    Adoption is an option
    And its up to the mother
    What else can be said.
    Today alone this would be the third abortion topic.
  • Disagree!!
  • I feel tht ths site is for women & their pregnancy happiness as well as struggles & abortion is a struggle & it may be a touchy topic but u dnt hve to comment if your to sensitive to handle ppl speak about all kinds of thngs on here unrelated to pregnancy & no1 thnks twice about it ths forum is a way to vent wether its seeking others advice on abortion or what to wear home from the hospital its all to keep from going crazy especially when you really need it
  • That's the thing with opinions, everyone has them. We also have the choice to comment on a post or not to. As adults we should all think twice before we post anything to make sure we don't offend or upset anyone. Abortion isn't the only touchy subject that is discussed here. Anything someone says can be taken out of context & start an argument. I think it was insensitive to even make this post because if a women who is struggling with what to do sees this then she may be afraid to ask for the help she needs.
  • If a woman is pregnant or ttc, they all a right to state their concerns and even ask for advice. I am against abortion but if a woman in need of advice is asking whether she should keep her child that is a subject that should be discussed. She can meet someone on this forum that is looking to adopt and may change her mind. I feel as if everyone us judging everyone instead of helping one another.
  • I think that though this is an emotional topic this is also an open forum where pregnant or ttc women and men can come to openly discuss they're thoughts and feelings regarding things that come with pregnancy... and abortion is one of those topics... now I understand if someone made a discussion stating solely I'm having an abortion just wanted to let all you people know who are trying so hard to conceive , then I would understand c
    Blocking it but seeing asmost of these women are looking for advice or help on the subject I see no reason to block them
  • edited March 2011
    There are women on here who support both sides of adoption and abortion so maybe if you are not supportive you just should read or comment on it.
  • It's not about hearing the same reasons over & over again. There are women out there in difficult situations & think they're alone then they get on here & find someone who was in the same position as them & gives them the faith & courage they need to do what's best for their child. What right do you have to say they shouldn't be allowed to ask for that help?

I personally don't wanna read about people's sex lives & so on so I don't read the discussions. It's that simple.
  • @StarKrayzie Thank you for saying this.

Unfortunately, while we may or may not agree with abortion, it is a topic directly related to pregnancy. This is what I had to say about it on the offensive topic discussion: The only problem I see with preventing abortion, drugs, or alcohol from being topics would be the fact this IS very much a place for discussion, support, and information. Abortion is an issue which is associated with pregnancy, and many women have found support from other users who have been in similar situations. It may upset some users to read about, but it also helps others know they are not alone in making the decision and the emotions involved in making such a heartbreaking choice, as well as how others have moved on after going through the experience.

There are numerous topics associated with pregnancy and parenting which everyone has passionate opinions about, not just abortion - alcohol, drugs, "child leashes", spankings, natural birth, epidurals and pain management, miscarriage, sweets, healthcare, etc. The list can go on and on. The moment the forum begins to ban topics based on the fact the discussion can get touchy is the moment several groups begin to feel isolated. Since the object of this forum is for support and outreach, every topic that is not a direct personal attack or intentionally ugly comment is a chance for people to connect together or find the answers/help they are looking for.
  • LOL @starkrayzie Everyone is going to have a topic they find to be not appropriate and offensive weather it be abortion, weed, sex, or whatever. It is up to you as a grown woman to decide if your going to engaged in the discussion if you know your not going to like what the discussion is about don't read it don't comment!
  • @kristaf22 I agree with this statement as well. While we may or may not agree with the topic, we should handle each topic with the respect it deserves. No person deserves to be attacked for discussing their views, asking opinions, or presenting their own moral dilemma. We should be supporting our fellow Pregly users, instead of tearing them down. Even if we disagree with them, we can still offer our opposing opinions and views in a firm, but polite, manner.
  • Please don't get me wrong I respect every and all opinions. To each his own.. I saw this is a touchy subject because of obvious reasons.
  • I feel that if people are going to post a topic like abortion on here they need to be VERY specific and clear in their topic titles. This will help a lot of people looking to steer clear of topics they don't want to read into until @Martin and the pregly team can get certain topics in a separate area.
  • @shmegs Oh, I did not think you disrespected anyone's opinions. I understand where you are coming from, even if I disagree with it. I should have been specific to say I was commenting on @kristaf22's comment about how a few people "call out" the original poster, who ends up feeling worse. Sometimes those few people intentionally, personally attack the original poster, which is disrespectful and dismissing any other opinion than their own as "wrong".

I do agree it can be a touchy subject, particularly on a pregnancy board. I have seen it discussed both in an argumentative manner on here and discussed with tact here. The latter gives me encouragement - it reaffirms many of the users here can express their own opinion within the guidelines of being respectful while remaining steadfast in their beliefs. Sometimes seeing these opposing opinions can help you* learn about the other side. While it may not change your opinion, it can help you grow into an overall more rounded individual by becoming better educated about another's views, as well as offer understanding about why a particular individual holds those views.

* You being generalized here, not specific to you or anyone I have seen post here.
  • I couldnt agree more! I have suggested it to martin before. Its too touchy of a subject and someone always ends up offended or hurt. That and weed should be banned topics!