Anyone dealing w/hypothyroidism while prego??

edited March 2011 in Health
This is my 2nd pregnancy, soon after having my 1st child, I developed hypothyroid and have been on medication ever since to keep my levels good. I'm 28wks now and found out that from now until I deliver,i'll be having sono every 4wks and fetal non stress tests every 2wks until delivery. They told me it was to make sure baby is growing ok. Just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat and as freaked out and worried as I am??

Comments

• I'm on the same boat... I developed thyroid disease after giving birth to my son. I'm only about 10 weeks along, so the only thing the doctors have done is increased my synthroid.
  • Me to but when I realized I was pregnant I stopped taking my meds... NOT GOOD... NOW my levels are fine I'm going to speak with the dr cause Tuesday I go for my big sonagram... very exciting
  • I had graves disease in 2006 and chose to have my thyroid removed. We are preg w #4 but first baby since thyroidectomy. I have been nervous wreck...dr tested levels at first appt and my numbers are off...so I have to go see my pcp and see what they wanna do. I am freaked out!!!
  • If u have hypo plz take.ur meds its.completly safe I have 3 drs. One is a high risk. They say levothyroxinr is safe to take u dnt want a baby developing bad or being a still birth
  • So far(fingers crossed) my med hasn't needed to be adjusted. I'm hoping I can keep it that way. I'm also very religious about taking my med at the same time every morning(5am) at least 4hrs before food or coffee. I did some research awhile back and found out they can effect the absorption of my med. Its nice to know i'm not alone but it sucks that we all have to deal w/this. Good luck to you all and I hope you all have safe and healthy pregnancies. :-)
  • I do but my levels actually go to normal while I am pregnant, its weird. I have hoshimotos (sp?) And that gave me vitilago :( unfortunately that never gets better, only worse
  • I have hypothyroidism and take levothyroxine. Now that im pregnant I see my endocrynologist every 6 weeks. Luckily my levels have been good so I havent had to change my dosage. Good luck to everyone.
  • I take levothyroxine as well. I make sure to take it at the same time every morning(5am). I read that you shouldn't eat or drink coffee until 3-4hrs after taking med because it can effect the absorption. So far I haven't needed any adjustment but im guessing I probably will once I start breast feeding. Good luck again to you all!
  • How did you ladies discover that you had hypothyroidism? What clued you in? It's something I've wondered about since my first pregnancy but none of the triggers applied to me...then two days ago that I read that pregnancy can cause it. Surprise! I'm just curious. This is my third pregnancy and many of the symptoms that seem to match the illness tend to disappear for me while I'm pregnant and then return after I deliver. Any info you guys want to share would be appreciated.
  • My symptoms were exhaustion, hair loss, not able to loose weight and just an over all sadness. I thought it was ppd but the doc didn't think so and suggested we check my thyroid levels. Bingo!!! Once I was on the medication my energy went up, my hair stopped falling out and the weight came right off. No more sadness either. If you think you might have a prob w/your thyroid, you should ask to get it checked. The sooner the better. Good luck!
  • I knew because my mom had thyroid cancer and had to get hers removed.
  • I also have hyopthyroidism, had it before I got pregnant. But my doctor checked my levels and said my Levothyroxine didn't need to be adjusted. I just hope it doesn't cause me to gain excessive weight during my pregnancy or cause any problems with my baby.