16, pregnant & very scared

edited February 2011 in Teen moms
Hello. I'm Jasmine. I'm 16 & I just found out that I'm pregnant. I'm really nervous to tell my parents. Any advice on how to tell them?

Comments

• Hello im 17 & may b prego. Im super scared but i told my gma. Mybe u shud tel sumon in ur fam that ur clossest too first
  • I was 17 when I found out. I told my dad first. He was the one I was most scared to tell I figured after him it'd be easy to tell anyone but I didn't have to he let the cat of he bag to everyone. They were all super upset. Fast forward three years I almost have my bachelors degree. A good job. And abeautiful healthy three yar old lil girl. Teyll be shocked nd sad bu when the see it the first time that'll fly out the window.
  • I was 17 as well when I got pregnant. I told my mom first. Tell someone ur close too
  • I was 17 when I got pregnant as well I called my mom early in the day so it sunk in by the time I got home and she told my dad for me. It. Was good from there just pray they will be supportive. 6 months later she's healthy long miss attitude and I'm married to a wonderful amazing marine husband
  • In my opinion and experience it is always better to be truthful and not hide things from people...especially those you love. I am almost 36 (next month) and have an almost 8 yr old boy and one on the way. Having been a mommy now for 8 years I can honestly say that no matter what my son has to tell me I much prefer *expect,and respect* him telling me the truth. He gets in less trouble if he tells me the truth about something. That isn't to say that I do not discipline him (if I didn't what would that teach him?) So...what I am saying is that I think you should tell your parents as soon as possible. No it isn't fun and yes it is scary, especially if you expect they will be disappointed. Try to put yourself in their shoes and fast forward your life so that you are the parent. Would you be disappointed in your child? Dig deep and think of the values that you hold and those values which came from your parents. Are you reflecting those values? They might be upset to hear your news not because they don't want you to be happy or they don't want grandbabies...they are more than likely upset because to them it feels like they failed in a certain area of parenting. They want the best for you and know how hard life is when you are fully an adult and responsible for a family. I know I thought I was ready and I moved out at 17 and never went back. While I was mature and held a job and went to school and took care of myself, I acknowledge that it was a much harder path to take than if I had stayed at home with my aren'ts support. Now, having said that, I realize that not all parents think like Mr and certain situations demand other actions. I think you should be honest wig your family the sooner the better. Give them time to hear you and reflect/react. Do not expect immediate acceptance and do expect for one or both to be emotional. Remember that they are going to feel like somewhat of a failure...it is natural. You have to admit that no parent wants their teen to become a parent before they are a legal adult. Know that they do love you even if they react in a way that makes you feel bad. Give them space *and take care of yourself*. Perhaps you could even start writing goals for yourself and how you can accomplish them to show your parents that you are prepared to be an adult with your decision. Above all, if the worst happens and they don't speak to you or you lose your home (that would be extreme), while it does suck, you can thank them for giving you your first life challenge and find the courage to overcome. You will have a greater respect for yourself if you stand in your own truth and move forward with positive confidence...even if you are scared to the bone on he inside. And in the end, others will have no choice but to respect you as well.

Good luck with this. I hope this has helped just a little. Keep me posted and let me know what happens. I will be here to support you!
  • I'm 19, married, and have been living on my own since I was 17. I was still nervous to tell my family :)
  • As a mother of a 17 and 14 year old, I would want to know asap about my child. As much as I would hate the fact that my child was having a child, id still want to know asap. Of course I've always wanted the best for my kids. Id hate to see them struggle in any way and I want them to have had the chance to make the best life for themselves before having to care for someone else!!!! Pregnancy is scary for all ages and I wouldn't want them to have to go through one day of it alone!! It is or job as parents to be there for our children no matter what the circumstances. I hope that you have the respect for your parents to give them the chance to be there for you. It will relieve a load of stress from you once you tell them. I really do wish you the best of luck. There is no easy way to tell someone you love something that you know is going to be upsetting.
  • edited February 2011
    Am 16 nd am10 weeks tomorrow I told my sisters first and they went with me when I told my mom.i was really scared and at first didnt want to go though with it but it be best to tell them sooner then later.
  • Hey I'm 24 but I got pregnant when I was 16 and had my daughter when I was 17. Its a lot of work but its so rewarding and you ca do it!! I graduated high school on time, have two college degrees, am married and had my second child this past august. If you [or any of you] need anything or have any questions please ask!!! I've been there and I made it out alive :) w.mollie@gmail.com
  • Thank-you everyone
  • I told my mom & she wasn't really upset about it or anything because my sister had a baby when she was 17 so she was expecting it would happen to me 2
  • I bet your sister will have good advice for you. Just stay strong and try not to stress and everything will be great :)
  • Im trying not to stress
  • Tell them... they are going to be disapointed but they will get over it. They all do. Because no matter what they will always love yu and yu will always be they're daughter. And they loved you and will love that baby :)
  • Ha I'm 20 & was still scared to tell my family. I started with the easiest, my sister then my mom. Then the three of us tackled my dad. No doubt they were upset. But I'm now 22 weeks, and my parents are getting pretty excited about being grand parents.
    Just expect a bad reaction, but know they'll come around!! Stay strong love! You can do it!! <3
  • I was 17 wen fall pregnant 17 when I had her and now i'm 18 and pregnant again my little is four month old and i'm 5 weeks 2 days pregnant. I just told my mum she didn talk to me for months now shes alright and took the second pregnancy well well better then she did with the first!

You'll do it. Just think about whats best for your baby hun
  • Lol I'm 36 and was still nervous telling my parents. As long as you set yourself goals and make a life for you and baby I'm sure you'll be fine. My oldest is 14 and although she isn't having sex yet I've already put her on the pill, better safe than sorry. I would be devastated if she became pregnant young but I wouldnt love her any less and I would be there for her whatever mistakes she makes in life. X good luck x
  • Im 16 and pregnant im not that scared my bf is so excited!:)
  • Im 17 I had told my sister I was pregnant nd she told my older brother and he told my mom , she was mad at me and she still is . She kicked me out and now im only stayin wit a friend im very sad right now , but its always good to say sorry .
  • Tell someone that you're close to!! Good luck!!!" :*
  • I was 16 when I had my twins, & I didn't tell anyone I was prego until I was 5 months along. My parents were furious but more so because I hid it from them. We all survived & we are still a really close family, they can't wait for me to have this one now that I'm almost 26!

It'll be hard having a baby so young, but keep your head up & looking towards the future! It will all be worth it! I survived high school, college, a marriage, a divorce, & a host of other things, & you can too! Just remember, your baby & you are what matters, everything else will work out as long as you keep your priorities straight! G'luck hun, you'll be fine!
  • Im 21 i have a 2yr old already and have another on the way. Motherhood is very demanding and rewarding. As far as family is concerned its best to let them know whats going on with you but for people that have or may have negative opinions about your situation its best to let it go in one ear and out the other. Keep in mind that no matter what people may say or do, you are your childs first teacher and its better to lead by example because they will be learning everything from you their first years of life.