down syndrome test

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
Do you recommend testing for baby? What if the results aren't good???? Is there certain weeks to get this done. I had said no but dk if I Mae the right decision

Comments

• The blood screening or an amniocentesis?
  • So it would be seperate blood screenings than the ones they test for your iron HIV etc?
  • edited April 2011
    The blood screening they test different hormones levels and from that gather a risk level. If you don't have family history of downs and you're under 30yrs old then id say don't take it. The screening only tells you your risk, not a yes or no. My screening came back positive and then I spent months stressing and worrying just to get an amnio and find out it was a false positive. 90% of the positive screenings are false. I will never do that test again.
  • I've had the AFP test done with all 33 pregnancys 2 came back positive though I didn't get the amniocentesis I did have a special ultrasound done both babys were completly fine and born normal ....the problem with that test if not done exactely at ur 16th week of pregnancy it will give a false result n scare u to death...this pregnancy came back neg thank god only because I new exactly the day I got pregnant....
  • Lmao oops I meant all 3 pregnancys...wowzers..well I hope my mistake made u laugh....lol
  • @lorinrene 33 pregnancies? :O
  • Haha ok I was shocked for a moment
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @lorinrene I was like, someone get that girls vajay jay a medal. ;)
    @mommy_2011 only if you want to be prepared if you want to keep no matter what. I suggest nuchal, not invasive to baby.:)
  • I did the blood screening and it came out negative. I was 14 weeks or so. And my u/s show baby is normal. I didnt want to do the amnio because I heard you could lose the baby but mymom did it with my two brothers and they were fine.
  • Lol it did I was thinking what 33 pregnancies! That was funny thank u girls lots of help with the answers kind of glad now that I didn't take the test because the same thing happened to my friend she tested positive and did the amniocentesis and came back false so I kind of didn't want to go through the worrying plus I was 17 bout to be 18 weeks at the time
  • Lol....jellybelly1015...ah medal in deed ...shoot I think mine with jus 3 kids deserves to be gold platted ....but 33 oh lawd... :*...ouchhh
  • Wen I re read I was like OMG...wen I thought of all who was reading the postings expression..lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2011
    Personally we're not doing the testing. It doesn't make a difference to us if our child is disabled. We will love him/her the same. So no point to worry ourselves! :X
  • I chose to have the test..not because I would terminate if she had been positive but so if she was I could prepare since it is a baby with special needs and will need special care I just wanted to be as prepared as possible