Benadryl

edited May 2011 in October 2011
I live in the great city of Austin, Texas and if you suffer from allergies, you're screwed. I ended up taking a Benadryl this afternoon because I was in so much headache pain. I had the permission of my doctor, but I ended up super drowsy and out of it. Has anyone else taken Benadryl while pregnant?

Comments

• Oh yes I took one on sunday and I was so sleepy the rest of the day. I hated the way it made me feel.
  • I hav during ths past semester I used it as a sleep aid for wen I had early classes I slept very well...I took one last nite bcuz my nose was so stuffy n I was n so much pain I had to go to sleep
  • I did for a rash. I think the only reason it helped is because it knocked me out so hard the itching didn't bother me.
  • Benadryl is the only thing my dr will let me take I take@ least one a day I have allergies that makes my asthma crazy..I am sad because im 22 weeks now and am waiting for my nesting to kick in im afraid the benadryl is gonna screw me out of nesting :-S
  • Yes my doctor told me to take one every night to help with allergies
  • I have I took them like a week straight bc I was so sick my dr told me I could
  • Wow! I was so nervous after taking it that I didn't know what to do.

@lovemylife11, a whole week? It doesn't make you feel drowsy and drugged up?

@desertrose, what is nesting to be exact?
  • Its when you get a lot of energy and you prepare the nest or home for baby :) lots of cleaning
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yea I took them at bed time I was so sick tho I was thrown up from the drainage
  • @dncrcass, i wish i'd known that earlier. My headache & sinus pressure is finally coming to an end though.
    I don't understand how it doesn't harm the baby. Glad it doesn't though bc I've had a headache for over a week.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There is nothing wrong with benidryl it is a class b pregnancy pill that is safe to use. For allergy relief during the day claratin is over the counter & is also a class b pregnancy pill I suffer from allergies like there is no tomorrow & my ob(usually does no meds) started me on these from day one of pregnancy plus if the headaches get to the point of nausea ginger root works great
  • @dncrcass, the Tylenol wasn't working and that's why I needed Benadryl today.

@dream_well4all thanks for the info.
  • No worries thats why I love this application great info
  • I have... the doctor gave it to me after she accidentally checked me with latex gloves... i was ok afterwards, I hope you feel better
  • Benedryl and tylonel are the only things my dr let's me take that are safe.
  • Idk i don't like benedryl i overdosed on it and literally almost died worst experience of my life the doc let me take Claritin i guess everybody is a little different
  • I take it to go to sleep and zyrtec for allergies with my dr's permission.
  • My doctor said Claritin is fine. He said they always suggest benedryl first because it's been around longer.
  • @grissy_barria that is so scary. I don't blame you, I would never take Benadryl again.
  • @desertrose I can't wait til I get in my nesting spell! I always feel so much better when my house is all clean. But here lately I just feel so lazy all I want to do is lay around or sleep
  • I have to take Benadryl every night. I have exzema really bad when I am pregnant. I have taken it during the day when I am itching really bad.
  • @Momso3 how does it make you feel?
  • I take benedryl every night. It is the only sleep aid I'm able to use. Tylenol pm has the same ingredient. But with benedryl you aren't taking the acetaminophen too.
  • I took it nightly w my first...had puppps...it was supposed to stop the itching but just knocked me out instead
  • Well, I took it for about 3 days, but it didn't do much to help my headaches. Now i'm taking sudafed headache and it's working temporarily.