Got my 17p (Hydroprogesterone) injection!

It was my first one and it freakin burned. Side effect =feel like crap!

Comments

• Hard to sit or lay on my butt too! This sucks!
  • What is that?? ... Sorry I have no idea
  • @nikki2690 Its the hormone progesterone in a thick gel form that get injected into your butt muscle. Its to help create more progesterone than what your body already makes so that you don't go into preterm labor. You have to get one once a week. I don't make enough so that's why i have to get it.
  • Yuck I'm sorry that sucks! What women have to go through to have babies .. how far along are you?
  • uck thats so crappy.. at least you know u will go into labor wen its time though :)
  • edited May 2011
    @Proudmum Use a heating pad on the injection site (keeping the heat away from your belly). I found that using it at 15 min intervals the first day kept the site from swelling and itching the rest of the week. I found that my left side was less painfull than my right.

Whatever the side effects, the shots were totally worth it. Im now holding my 7-week old daughter, who was born full-term (4hours after her due date), after delivering my son @ 29 weeks!

Didyou have a previous pre-term birth?
  • @Proudmum - I, too, am getting that injection once a week. I'm now 31w 3d and been getting it since 26 weeks. Next week is my last one tho, cause my ob said I cant take it after 32 weeks. Just curious, did ur dr say anything to u about stopping @ 32weeks?
  • @nikki2690 I'm 19 weeks.
    @Math_Mommy Thanks for that advice and congrats! I had a previous preterm delivery at 20wks.
    @Babygirl716 They said they will stop mine at 36wks.
  • @Proudmum 20 wks thas crazy!! I couldn't imagine thank gosh for all the medical stuff now
  • I have my shots scheduled til week 39. I wonder why your docs are stopping them so soon
  • @nikki2690 I know! I was so devistated cause that was my 2 loss. Hopefully this baby will b my lil miracle.
  • @Surprise_Due8_28 They said they really worry about it after 36 weeks especially if u have a cerclage cause by that time the baby should b fully developed enough and ready for delivery.
  • @Proudmum 3rd times a charm :) I hope Everything goes well.. I've miss carried 2 times it sucks I wasn't as far along as you though..
  • @huneybee I know right! They say I might go into labor right after or a week after they take my cerclage out which will be at 36wks.
  • @nikki2690 Thanks! how far were u when u miscarried? R u expecting now?
  • @Proudmum 8w4d && 10w2d .. & not yet :( were in the processes of buying a house and its stressful so were not actively tryin til this whole processes is done. I get really upset that every time I turn around someone in my family or a friend is preggo ... But I get on here & reading everything reminds me that sometimes it isn't easy ... I'm still young & still have time. Just sucks :(
  • edited May 2011
    @nikki2690 Awwww! Yeah everything will all fall into place soon enough. Its good that u r making sure everything is situated though before u start trying. It took me 2 years before I got preggo with my first and about 9 months before my second but this one happened in about 4 during make up sex. LoL. Ive learned that sometimes u just have to not think about it an thats when it happens.
  • I am taking the progesterone shot too!! I hate getting them! They make me have heart palpations and mak me feel like crap for a day after I get it!! The injection hurts and feels like peanut butter!! I am 27wks due august 20th and I had my son at 28 wks last time!! Anyone else get heart palpations from this shot?
  • I'll take my third this week. The first was terrible and even bruised me. They changed the size of the needle last time and it wast near as bad. I've noticed that I'm very tired for a few days after the shots. Oh well, i ve got to take 18 more so I might as well get used to it...lol
  • My first (and favorite) obgyn who had done recent research on the 17-p injection, said that there is no evidence that it prevents pre-term labor beyond 34 weeks. I had to switch doctors mid-pregnancy for insurance reasons and the other doctors wanted me to get injections through 36 weeks. I was gaining so much weight as a side effect of the progesterone (so was my baby!) that I stopped voluntarily at 35. Long story short (kind of), I never did go into labor on my own (not for lack of trying...), however, my water broke on my due date.
  • @Ivie @mommaof3inMI was your appetite affected by it?
  • @Math_Mommy wow thats interesting. My doc told me that it doesnt effect the baby. Im confused now!
  • I haven't noticed any changes in my appetite. Have you? I'm confused now too! I tried researching these shots as much as possible, but the more I looked up stuff, the more nervous I got so I quit. I never read about weight gain as a symptom and I hope it doesn't make this baby gain weight. My daughter was 6 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs 3 oz...I'm scared of how big my full term baby will be already. I want a healthy baby, but I don't really want it to gain extra!
  • @Ivie Well I dont really have an appetite today but it could just b one of those day...i worry too much! LoL. Yeah I can do without the weight gain and definately dont need a big baby!
  • @Proudmum , I was gonna tell u that for a few days after I get my shot, I eat like a horse! I normally dont have much of an appetite, but after my shot, boy, I can put the food away! Lol
  • @Babygirl716 LoL yeah I definately have that now! I ate like 80 times yesterday!
  • Hi guys i have been getting my p17 shot since 16weeks and I am 31 weeks and 3days. I will be getting them until 36 weeks. Never heard of them stopping them at 32 weeks. First born at 29 week's.
  • @mommyto2 I go to my ob tomoro, I'm gonna ask him why he wants me to stop so early.
  • Ladies I take the shot too and I go to my OB in two days I will ask her when they stop the shots!! I have been getting the shots since 20weeks and I am 27wks now
  • Ouch! I hate shots in the butt! Can they put numbing cream on it first?