when did you...

edited May 2011 in Sleep
Start making your baby sleep in their own room/crib? I have a 3 week old n I was just wondering when to plan on it...

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you :) did u ever let him sleep in your bed during that time? @usmcwifemommy101107
  • We co-slept with our daughter for 2 years. I don't regret it in the slightest & we absolutely plan on doing it again with this one. Whatever feels right is what's best for you. :)
  • I just don't want her to get used to being in here and want to sleep with us till she's like 12 lol. I also don't want to lose intimacy with hubs :/
  • @vette_devil how did you then get her into her own room? My son been having problems the last 6 months and ends up sleeping in our bed or will come in during the night. I don't mind occasionally but its every night now and with number 2 on the way I would like to try! He is 2 and half. And @Caiti5 we moved him about 7 months
  • my sons 4 now & he still sleeps in my bed. i dont really mind because my hubbys always gone in the army but once my daughters born im going to wish i made my son sleep in his own bed.. 2 kids in the bed is a big NO NO!!!
  • @Caiti5 I put my son in his crib at 2 months. Before that he was in a bassinet next to the bed, but we never co-bedded (it just wasn't for us.)
  • Once my girls slept for about 4-6 hrs steadily I put them in their own bed. Maybe around 2-3 months. They slept w me or in a bassinet next to my bed. I don't move when I have babies in bed w me, or really sleep much. So, unless they were having a fussy night, I would nurse put them to sleep and put them in the bassinet next to me.
  • Thank you all for the advice!!
  • edited May 2011
    We started right away. I had a c section so, we started putting her in her crib the day we got home. It took het about two days to get used to it, but she has been sleeping in it ever since. DH and I have never brought her in bed with us as it is simply to dangerous. START EARLY! It will save you the pain of adjusting a more aware baby down the road. It will be more work for you, but so worth it :)
    At the advice of my pediatrician friend, I started a sleep routine with her around 2 months. Bath at 6:00 pm, reading books and nursing by 6:30 pm, in bed by 7 pm. Of course she got up at 9pm for another feeding, but it made ne feel like I accomplished something, there was structure and routine (which they thrive off of). Well, by 4 months...she was on board with the routine. She's 15 months now and we have pretty much the same routine and SHE initiates it. 6 pm dinner, 6:30 bath, 6:45 books and milk, 7pm bed.:)
  • I started right away when I got home for the hospital, and it was a godsend lol. He's now three and he is allowed to sleep in our bed on special occassions, or when hubby goes on deployment lol. He is also allowed to sleep in ours during naptime (he gets the option of our bed, his bed, and the couch then...sometimes its easier in our room because its the quietest room in the house).... But he sleeps in his just fine no issues.
  • @littlenat86 ...we made moving to her own room a HUGE positive thing; decorated it in Princess motif to the nines... she was so thrilled she didn't want to come back to our bed! She does occaisionally come snuggle with us when she gets a cold or if she has a bad dream. I don't mind that & never will. Our room will always be open for her & future children. Our children are everything to us!
    ***and co-sleeping is NOT dangerous at all, if done properly. Too many people believe the hype! There are much HIGHER risks of SIDS crib sleeping than well-prepared co-sleeping. If you want more information, look at Dr. Sears' website on the topic, or read the book "Good Night!" By Dr. Jay Gordon...
    And keep in mind; 60% of Americans will let their pets sleep in their bed, but not their own kids. How sad. And most other countries still widely practice co-sleeping & believe Americans use it as a legal means of torture...
    *** and on a side note; co-sleeping hasn't hurt our intimate relationship at all... it does help us to be more creative, and that has helped our sex life become the best it's ever been in 7 1/2years together. ;)
  • @vette_devil thanks for the advice, we are about to decorate his room so will try that. We have no problem with co sleeping occasionally but he is getting bigger now, he is very fidgety and with number 2 on the way I need to get some routine sorted!
  • I am going to start letting my son sleep in the crib when he is 5-6 months or when he is heavier I'm scared of SIDS but I do not want him to co sleep with me so he will not be that used to body heat...my friends daughter cries if she gets up to go to the bathroom and I just don't want him to become so dependant my baby will start in the bassinet
  • My first son slept in a pack and play in the living room for the first 6 weeks--our room was too small to keep it in with us, and our room was on the first floor (his was on the second). At 6 weeks he started sleeping through the night so I moved him upstairs to his crib, and he didn't seem to even notice the change. My second son's room was on the first floor with mine so he started out in his crib immediately. We've moved since then, so this little boy will be on the same floor as me as well; he'll most likely be in his own room right away too. My boys both liked to sleep by themselves, though, so it wasn't even something I needed to concern myself with.
  • Me n husband don't plan to cosleep. It's not a road we want to travel. My stepson sleeps with his mom every nite so when he comes to stay with us he wants to sleep in our bed. So like I said, not traveling down that road.