Coloboma

edited June 2011 in Parenting
So my daughter, who is 3 weeks old, has what's called Coloboma. Basically what happened is her iris didn't completely form while she was in my womb, causing her pupil to be abnormal and oblong. She looks like she has cat eyes, it's nuts!! It affects both eyes, and I wonder how it is going to affect her vision. Has anybody else heard of this or have any experience with it? If so, how is the affected person's vision? I don't think she is blind because she seems to focus quite well, however, we'll see what the eye doctors have to say. We have an appointment on Monday to get them checked out.

Comments

• It depends on how much of her iris is missing. If it's just a little it will probably be normal; if there's a lot missing, then she may have issues and blind spots. I don't know anyone with it so I can't speak from experience, though.
  • @prayingforour3rd Yes, it's considered a rare congenital birth defect. I'm worried, but I feel at ease and am not stressing, I feel like everything will turn out well and worse case scenario will be that she'll have to wear glasses at an early age. Little kids in glasses are so damn adorable!!! :D
  • The effects a coloboma has on the vision can be mild or more severe depending on the size and location of the gap
  • @magcaw It's kind of a lot. It's the bottom of her iris' that are missing, her iris' form an upside down "U" or a horseshoe.
  • @kalikojenie That's what I was reading. It sucks because I feel like I'm partially to blame, like it was something I did while pregnant, you know? :(
  • @bke913 don't blame yourself! There's nothing you could have done to prevent it, it's just a random thing! Does she have any other complications?
  • @magcaw I'm not beating myself up over it, I just wonder and have that "what if" feeling. She hasn't had any other complications that I know of. However, she did have a seizure when she was 2 days old. She was in the hospital after that for 4 days, receiving treatments for my GBS and for severe dehydration. They believe the seizure was due to the dehydration and her electrolytes being thrown off. She was given a CT scan and MRI and they both came back impressive and completely normal. So, I'm not sure at this point what to expect. It may just be a waiting game, waiting to see how she develops mentally and physically.
  • I think everyone who has some form of something wrong with their child thinks it was something that they did while they were pregnant. Want to know my belief? If you know you did the best you could while you were pregnant and there was nothing that you could have done wrong, then it was just meant to be and maybe even if you had done things differently it could have still happened you know? I feel the same way about cancer, i think we are predisposed to either getting it or not. I think this way for several reasons. For one, I have know quiet a few people who have never smoked, worked in coal plants or done anything and ended up with severe lung cancer. I have known people who would drink to excess every night and die of something completely unrelated. We are who we are and while we can try to change the things around us to be able to protect ourselves ( just because someone may or maynot die of lung cancer from not smoking doesnt mean we should all light up mind you) from what we can, I think alot of the way things are happen for a reason. Perhaps when you go to the doctor they will say it wont cause any problems. That is what I am praying for you for :)
  • That must have been terrifying! :(
  • @kalikojenie That is an interesting view on things, never thought of that!! Unfortunately, I feel this way because I didn't take my prenatals my first trimester. My doctor (I switched at 22 weeks cuz he was a complete tool!) advised me that since I was so sick and losing weight, that the pills were causing me more harm than good and that they weren't really necessary during the first trimester, so I took his advice and didn't take them. If I had a day that I felt okay, I would take them, but for the most part, I would either throw them up or they would make me sick to the point to where I couldn't function. That's the main reason why I am kicking myself in the ass. I feel like maybe, had I just taken them, I wouldn't be in this situation. :(

@magcaw It was the most horrific thing I have ever experienced in my life. She stopped breathing and turned purple...my heart stopped and I didn't know what to do. I wouldn't wish that feeling or experience on my worst enemy, it makes me sick just remembering that day.
  • I didnt know I was pregnant with my daughter til I was 3 months preggers so I didnt take any vitamins until after that so I know how you feel. If you werent keeping food down then you prolly wouldnt have kept the vitamins down either, and throwing up a vitamin would be about the same as taking it and at least you tried!
  • @bke913 don't kick yourself about the prenatals....my first u didn't even take prenatals...bc I was young and dumb and hated taking medicine! And my daughter was perfectly healthy. So please don't blame yourself I am sure your beautiful baby will be fine. Just have to keep praying that whatever happens you and your family will be able to overcome it.
  • I found this for you, its a first hand account of a woman with it, and other people and more information..
    http://www.science20.com/science_motherhood/coloboma_humans_cat_eyes
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.