question

edited June 2011 in December 2011
My husband and I have been going back and forth on doing the genetics testing and if we decide it has to start this Friday. I know my Dr. Explained it to us but I kind of forot how it works. Do you get tested between 10 and 14 weeks and if something comes back weird they test you again later? Or do they do an amniocentesis later?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok thank you! I thought it was for more than Downs syndrome. I guess we will see how things go on Friday. Do you remember how long it took to get your results or they just wait til your next appointment to go over it. Thanks for you help :)
  • Huh? My doc did and ultra sound for the NT.and she measured it that way.
  • edited June 2011
    Nuchal is first its a level 2 ultrasound. if the nuchal fold measures large and they do it early enough they may ask if you want to do a chronic villus sampling (cvs) which is where they'll go through your cervix and take cells from your placenta to test for chromosomal abnormalities. The cvs needs to be done before 13weeks. If they don't do the cvs then you'll have to wait till at least 16weeks to get an amnio.
  • Both the cvs and amnio are the only ways to be sure. The blood screening is another option but it has a very high false positive rate.