absolutly terrified of c-section :(

edited June 2011 in Giving birth
and NOBODY understands me! they say...oh its not that bad! I am scared to death of having surgery. i want an all natural birth sooo badly..but my health has started getting worse and dr. keeps saying hes not going to let me go past 38wks. and he tells me that my cervix is long and hard and not good for vaginal delivery!

i cry just thinking about having a c-section. i know tons of women do it but ive NEVER had surgery..i dont do needles..and im SO SCARED!!!

Comments

• Maybe you could request that they put you to sleep?
  • do they still do that? i understand if its an emergency im willing to do anything for my son. but if they tell me they have 2 cut me open they r going to have to knock me out immediately b4 i freak out! lol @vtmamajuju
  • Thats my worst fear! Im havin so many difficulties with this pregnancy that im afraid I may have to have one. I have panic attacks jus thinkin about it! Im keepin u n my thoughts. Hopefully things change for u .
  • @vanalkr yes, they can. I started freaking out in the middle of mine so they put me to sleep. I've heard of a lot of other people being put to sleep too. Im sure if you tell them you absolutely can't handle it, they might comply for the safety of everyone.
  • @pregnantlettemama thank goodness i found someone in the same boat as me. ive read everything there is to read about labor and delivery except for c-section..im too scared! i have panic attacks too...and my blood pressure has been terrible and gets worse by the week! i hope and pray we dont have 2 have them!
  • They like you to be awake to meet ur baby but they can very much do it by putting you to sleep instead...if you have bad anxiety about it they should have no problem putting you to sleep....if ur induced hold off on them breaking ur water for as long as possible, make them give you something to thin ur cervix before they give u pictoin...good luck, hopefully you avoid a c section!
  • @vtmamajuju wow i didnt know that they did this...i have an appt on tues and i think im going 2 discuss my concern about all of this with my dr.

i just keep praying that he decides to come on his own and that its b4 the drs and nurses can do too much 2 me and stress me out! :P
  • Having a c Sec was my first servery as well I was terrified I found out about it the day I had him but I was so scared I started shaking it wasn't fun or ideal but if it didn't happen either me or my son would not be here today but u have time to get yourself prepared for it please do research and listen to these women when they say its not that bad because its hard but you are tough and it won't be the hardest thing you've ever done I guarantee it Hun I wish u all the luck in the world and just know u will be ok and I do understand your fear hugs. :)
  • :( I have horrible dreams of c sections! Its terrifying soo scared for one my cervix better work I dont like surgeries:(
  • I hope u get your natural birth I'm going to try for vbac I pray I can get it
  • @Summergirl22 ok i will do that..see thats the stuff i need 2 know bc i dont wnat them to get to doing too much crap 2 me then say "oh well your body is stressed and its stressing baby so we need to do c-sec" they do that! thanks for the info!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @momof22be thanks for the encouragment... and vbac? what is that? im going 2 try 2 do some research but im still too freaked out to do it yet!

when do women usually have 2 start preparing for natural labor to start? like what week can i start 2 expect him 2 maybe decide 2 come on his own?
  • @uncaffinated_katie ya i had been following ur posts about the bradley classes and knew u were really pulling for all natural...i was so dissapointed when i found out u had complications!

even reading the words "while they were sewing me up" stresses me out! gave me chills! im serious when i say i do not do this kind of stuff well!
  • Try really stressing to your doctor how scared you are of a c-section. You can ask if they will attempt an induction with cervidil or something to ripen your cervix first. I wasn't dilated or anything when I was induced with cervidil. I had pitocin as well and then my water broke on it's own.
  • Idk Hun because my son didn't want to come on his own I was dialated to a fingertip and 0% effaced on my due date so I was started with petocin and that failed so they broke my water and I wouldn't dialate I was at a 3 for 5 hours so they decited on a c Sec at the last seccond my pubic nonesuch would not separate and he was stuck during the c Sec as well I left with 8 fist bruses on my stomach when I left I had 4 nurses shove there fists on me to help the doc get him out I passed out for 2 1/2 hours before I got to see my baby but not all c secs r that way I want u to be focused on your doctor knowing what he/she is doing don't be affraid that's why I was shaking so badly it was like I was shaking uncontolably and when I tryed to stop they told me I needed to shake because I was tensing my body and you need to be relaxed as possible oh and a vbac is when u have a natural birth after c Sec
  • Im terrified of a c-section as well. People recommended that I start taking evening primrose oil to help prepare my cervix. Im gonna start it tonight so hopefully it will work [-O<
  • @uncaffeinated_katie how did u do shortly after the procedure? i mean from all of those meds? did it take a long time 4 them 2 wear off? do u feel that u missed anything from being under that stuff?
  • Yw if they tell you its time for a c section tell them no at first, tell them you would like to be given more time (unless of course its an emergency) but some doctors give up on women in labor to early and many c sections end up being giving that wouldn't have necessarily needed them. A c section is major surgery and should be avoided as much as possible. Find out what your doctors c section rate is, and even the hospitals c section rate. Just know that there are options and only accept a c section when all other options have been addressed. Try to take things one day at a time, dont worry your self too much, it will only make things worse for you. I was born by emergency c section, but I was big, over 10lbs and got stuck. I too am scared to have a c section, so I know a little how you feel. Good luck
  • I had a csection with my son 6 yrs ago and was trying so hard to get my dr to let me do vbac. He dont believe in vbacs so my csection is scheduled for June 24. I'm scared to death and still havent read too much or watched video cuz I kno I have to go threw with it. My son was emergency so it happened so fast n I was so weak that I didnt kno what was happening. Best wishes to u
  • I have a long cervix too. Twice as long as the requirement they have. I'm still getting the option to vaginally deliver twins! With health issues, I can understand the doc saying you need a c-section for the safety of you and the baby. I'm afraid of getting a c-section too because of the longer recovery time and the scar. I just want no part of it so I'm trying to talk my girls in staying in the right position all the way up to the birth. I don't want to be put to sleep because I've waited so long for my girls and I want to be able to breastfeed as soon as they're cleaned off.
  • I will most likely have to have a csection as well and this is my first child and I'm a bit spooked too :(
  • I was the same as you, terrified and completely against having a section! But after 36 hours of labour and only diluting half a cm it was time to think about the babys and my health and had one. By then I was so focused on my child and you know to do what is right for them. The operation was pretty quick, quicker than I expected! The drugs wore off really quick so I didnt feel numb for too long and a midwife helped me breast feed within an hour of my son being born. The scar is pretty non existent I still can't believe they got a baby out there and its very low! I was off pain meds within a week and its not super easy but certainly as it was my first I didnt find the recovery too hard.5 and half weeks later we went to eurodisney for 4 days!! I think you should talk to your doctor about your concerns, he is and will be the one looking after you and can give you all the info. And hopefully you will get the vaginal birth you want no problems anyway. Please don't worry though x
  • This is my 3rd baby and I have a choice to do vbac but I want my tubes tied so I'm going to have csection. I had my son natural and my daughter by emergency csection so I was put to sleep and don't remember anything. I'm scared thinking that I'm going to be awake for my csection but I have just pushed it to the back of my mind I don't like to think to much into it. I'm real scared of the thing they put on you so you pee in the bag I can't think of the name but I hate that. They put it on me before my csection with my daughter. Ahhh
  • I had a csection with my son I was so scared I freaked when they said csection I mean I was scared to do it vaginaly but they said csection n I started crying they put me on oxygen I kept telling my husband what if I die blah blah I never had surgery so I didnt think I could handle it they had to strap me down I asked a nurse to hold my hand lol. Well I had my babygirl in february n chose another csection lol with my son I didnt even think of that till they said thats what I was getting
  • @cfa was it a catheter?
  • Omg! Same here. I hope I don't have a c-section.
  • I just had one 6 weeks ago. I was scared too. It wasn't bad as I expected. The spinal block didn't even hurt. Catheter wasn't bad either. Worst part was prior when they stuck fingers in me to check my cervix. You can do anything you have to for your baby. Once in the hospital and told this is best for you and baby its a whole different story.