[edit]3rd Trimester and a Toddler Terrorist

I am a stay at home mom with 2 and a half year old and is about 29 weeks pregnant. My once sweet little angel has morphed into the opposite in what seems like just a day and I don't know what to do. She's become bad to the bone.

It started last week. She was disobedient, hit me every chance she got, tortured our cat and her babies, got out of bed every morning to get into stuff I didn't even know I had, and just being an over all nuisance. I've been so stressed out becauseof this current high risk pregnancy and over the past week including this morning had 3 panic attacks.

I have no family around me, my friends are all young and irresponsible and to ask my mother to watch her for even an hour is taboo. Does any of the more experienced older preglys out there have any advice on how to handle my new found terrorist? I can't physically or emotionally handle her anymore.

Comments

• Aww mayb she's upset about a new baby cumn along and afraid of losing ur attn my bfs 1yr old niece is very attached to me and I think she feels tht thts a new baby cumn along bcuz she always wnts to b around me n she crys wen I dnt wnt her or wenevr I leave she follows me everywhere I cnt evn go to the bathroom n piece hav u tried tlkn to her or mayb evn havn a day out at the movies or sumthn...Idk ths is my first but its jus a suggestion
  • I can sympathize I'm on bedrest and my sweet little boy has morphed into a naughty little hell beast. He doesn't understand that there's going to be another baby as far as I can tell hes just realized that if hes not in arm reach I can't really do anything.
  • They are at the age of boundry testing. They are going to test and test to see how far they can push their normal boundries. I know its hard and you want to pull your hair out scream and cry I did wit my first. Just keep on top of it don't let them push to far I did with my son he's a little brat. Now I'm having a harder time doing damage control thatn I did when he was 2. New baby is a big factor they understand more than we know. Take extra time to make her feel special and invloved do a project for the new baby make a onsie with her had prints for they baby to wear or something to hang on the wall. Buy her a nwe doll and tell her its her baby just like you and show her how to take care of it. Good luck
  • @beauty0710 she sounds attached. Mine usually wants nothing to do with me. She wants to do everything herself. She's very independent and strong willed.

@beaded_bunny I'm not to sure if my little one understands that I'm having a baby. She does talk to my belly and give it kisses but I have seen her trying to do it to my friend who isn't pregnant. I am left to wonder if she really understands.

@camommy I feel like she is going over board with it. She tested her boundaries before but this lately is ridiculous. We get her stuff and do all kinds of stuff to keep her interested and involved but all she seems to want to do is terrorize the kittens and sneak out of bed to get.into everything. Every time I tell her no, she goes behind my back and does it out of anger and worse than if I let her do whatever it was to begin with. :(
  • @threefatsamurai yea she is but she's jus startd actn like ths we usually hang out like movies n stuff she likes to sleep wit me now she follows my every move
  • @beauty0710 she's at a very curious age now. I remember when my daughter loved me that much. Then....hell spawn.
  • It definitely sounds like terrible twos!! My 2 year old has taken to hitting of late, as have many of his friends of a similar age. It's generally an attention seeking thing I have found. When my son lashes out (pinches or hits) he automatically goes in a timeout for two minutes, then we talk about how the hitting hurts me and he says sorry, we have a cuddle. She will have noticed your attention had slightly shifted as you get bigger and more tired, and you will be getting things ready for the new arrival. Talk about the baby to her but don't go overboard, because they then get bored and play up again! I am struggling to do lots of physical play and things now, but make time to read stories, do art projects, jigsaw puzzles etc with my little boy getting lots of my attention. Hope this helps, just a few things I have tried x
  • My 2.5 yr old is pretty good but throws a fit & tells me once in a while she doesnt want a baby. She has a cousin the same age who just had a baby sister who she loves but says our baby is going to live at aunties house. I have explained a lot about where baby grows, how he is born and what we will have to do, esp what I need her help with (she likes to help). We went to library & she picked out books about how babies r born & being a big sister. To me, it sounds like ur prob has very little to do with the baby tho, she is just testing her limits with u. If u have been extra anxious or stressed lately, she might be picking up on that. I'd find a discipline routine that works for u like a time out chair or take away toybox. Then use the same process every time she doesn't listen, no matter how big or small the offense is. I'd make her help clean up any messes she makes. Also, keep ur cool no matter what. Be calm & matteroffact. It will teach her a) u mean business and this is serious b) her negative behavior is not getting any extra attention & c) when she gets mad, shell learn to keep her cool too. Then always talk and hug it out. She has to know she's loved no matter how she behaves from day to day. This fosters good self esteem which will give her a drive to be good & make u happy. It might take weeks but consistency is KEY. Good luck, I know how tough it can be.
  • I'm goin through this right now! Seems like my noodle is fighting for attention, she thinks she will be forgotten. In fact I am so worried she will see it true especially if I can breast feed. Since the baby will need more mommy time. So since It's nice out and when daddy is workin we spend a whole lot of time doin things. She's fine till we are around other ppl or her dad cones home. I still dunno why she picks random people to cling to at bbqs or baby showers lol
  • I'm 29weeks & I have a two year old. She is horrible she trys to hit my belly every chance she gets. She tries to step on it, mash it, slap it & kick it & when I say "baby" she says "Nooooooo" I'm scared she might hurt the babygirl when she comes.
  • edited June 2011
    That sounds awful. Mine doesn't do any of that. When she crawls on me, I tell her she's hurting sister. She gets off and says "I'm so sorry." And kisses my belly. Then when her daddy gets home, he hugs her, she tells him he's "hurting the sister." Lol

However, my fears are getting worse. My kitchen door way is like 4 doorways put together and a baby or dog gate won't fit. We took a nap yesterday. She woke up, got into and wasted 30 dollars in make up and then went to the kitchen and found a large cutting knife. She sliced her little finger open. It's not bad enough to get stitches but it's not shallow either.

She knows she's not allowed in the kitchen and in mommy's make up but when I was asleep she felt like she could. She could have been seriously hurt and this bad behavior is highly unacceptable. I don't know what to do. Despite all the time outs and discipline she is just getting worse... :(((