*very serious* advice please. (low iron*

My doctors have told me that my iron is low & that I may need a transfusion. They have me on iron & vit c pills to help. I'm just worried about get an infection or my body refusing the blood. Has anyone experienced this problem?
*advice please*
I'm now also currently 31 weeks pregnant.

Comments

• Transfusions are safe. I have had 2 transfusions with no problem. good luck
  • A transfusion really? Wow, well I know most transfusions are incredibly safe. My iron levels are really low too...about 6.5 My doctor said they may need to give me iron shots but there was no mention of a blood transfusion. I'm going to need to get some more info asap.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My whole family is anemic, but it wasn't a cause of concern because they would just eat spinach or occasionally if it would get too low, they'd get iron shots. But the doctor finally noticed my body wasn't absorbing it, so when I'd get pregnant the prenatals& Flintstones chewables was given. My last baby I got real sick with swine flu that turned into pneumonia. I was 35wks pregnant, they did my blood levels. I was at 4.2, so they hooked me up to 6 units of blood. It only brought it up to a 6. So they gave me 4 more units making it go to 7.1--a couple hours later I dropped back down to a 5. So they rushed me into an emergency c-section, pumping me full of blood&antibiotics. To date, I've had over 3 dozen units of blood. I am 0+, which was a very difficult type for them to get since its so rare (it can be given to any type, but if you have it, all you can get is 0+) somehow, I developed Lupus (SLE), they said it is extremely rare, but I got it from a transfusion. The blood banks test for a lot of diseases &infections, but unfortunately Lupus is not one of them. For the most part, transfusions are very safe, saves tons of lives, the pros usually outweigh the cons at the point of needing it or not.
  • **due to the Lupus I am on blood thinners for life, have a filter in my main artery to block clots from going into my lungs& heart, so I can't have greens, salads, tomatoes, green tea, cranberry juice anymore. So I can't even eat most foods to help my iron levels go up :( can get very frustrating. I hope you get better soon!
  • Kay. I was anemic off and on through my life due to being a vegetarian and not eating the best. When I miscarried last year I hemorrhaged for about ten hours and nearly needed a transfusion and was ill for months with very low everything. I stayed on the Flintstones and ate high iron foods like roast beef. Eventually everything went back up and my iron was just a little low when I was tested a few weeks ago for this pregnancy. As long as your body absorbs iron properly and you work at it your levels will get back to good. If you have to have the transfusion I think you should seek out people who had them where you will be. I say this because there are risks and the surgeon at the hospital I was in said to my partner "don't let them talk you into a transfusion" And later I heard some scary things about them giving them. At the same time mind you, their staff left me hemorrhaging for over eight hours rather than sending me to another hospital. I wouldn't have needed blood anything had I gone elsewhere.

I hope you get it straightened out soon. My story is extreme but I think in case of transfusion its best to do your homework.
  • There are different types of iron (heme iron and non-heme iron)....iron that comes from animal products is heme iron and iron that comes from dark leafy greens, beans, etc... is non-heme iron. They are both absorbed differently. Heme iron is better absorbed by the body as it stands where as non-heme iron must be taken with Vitamin C in order for it to absorb properly. The best bet is to find out why your iron is so low and fix the problem rather than fix the effects....but in the mean time I suggest eating tons of leafy greens (kale, spinach, broccoli,), lima beans, chick peas, artichokes, and don't forget to add the vitamin C. Make a good spinach salad with mandarin orange slices, sliced almond slivers, dried cranberries, and some manchego cheese with a berry vinaigrette YUM!! Not only will you benefit from the iron, but the fiber will help ease the effects of the iron supplements (I would continue to take your iron supplements). Good luck!
  • I've had low iron since I was a baby, and I've had to take iron every day, like @earth mama said,eat iron rich food :)

Good luck hun %%-
  • No matter what they do my iron won't budge. Shots,transfusion,two supplements blah blah. I jus have low iron, they gave up and so have i. My daughter is fine and they say my second will be too. Sometimes the body is so outta wack from hormones you can't fix it. My levels always are nothin more then a 6 pregnant or not. On something or not. So unless you really are low and pass out alot like I was I wouldn't worry. The docs know what to do and they will moniter you. Keep positive
  • edited April 2011
    @kaylababy007, love my prayers are with you. I get blood transfusions every 3 months cause I have a severe type of anemia so I know how scared you must feel. I'm 13 weeks pregnant and I've already been seen by 5 different doctors. My doctors tell me my baby will most likely inherit what I have so there's no fixing to it. I take iron and vitamin c too but my body just wont absorb it so I get transfused quite often. My main concern is my unborn child. I have a genetics testing this Monday soo wishhh me lucckk. I wish you luck and hope nothing but the best in you & your baby's life / health. <333 & ***
  • Transfusions are completely safe. Whpith my last pregnancy (#2) I had. Because my blood count was 4.7. I almost lost y son and we have done well ever since
  • at this point u should do whatever u can b/c when I was prego w/ my 1st child I opted out for iron shots & supplements.i tried to change my diet.worst mistake ever!after delivery my iron got down to a 2!i passed huge blood clots,passing the blood I had left!it took me weeks to recover &regain my strength.that whole ordeal lead on to preclampsia,which gave me permanent high blood pressure.so please take everything BEFORE delivery.