any ideas on how to word this on invite?

edited July 2011 in Baby showers
I have been hearing a lot of horror stories about moms not getting any of the big items off of registry. I was thinking that maybe putting something like a cute little poem in the invitation about What the baby needs and going in on items with other people or getting gift cards that can be used towards items. I don't want to sound pushy, ungrateful or have bad manners so any suggestions on how to word this would be appreciated!

Comments

• My baby shower is next week. When people ask me what I need, I tell them, look at the registry! I like the poem idea, or maybe you could put a sentence in there like, "everything baby needs can be found on the registry at babiesrus.com" or whatever. I don't think its ungrateful or pushy to just tell people to buy things off the registry or tell them to get gift cards. I know I worked for hours and hours on mine and I would make it known that I was upset if I didn't get anything I needed!
  • I'm not really sure there is a way to word it that doesn't sound a little tacky. Last time, I got little cards from my registry at Target that I could put in the invites. But the economy is really bad right now and people don't have the extra money they once did, so it's better to not expect to get anything and be happy with what you get, then to expect everyone to spend a ton and then get nothing you wanted. : (

When I got married though, people would ask what I needed and I just said Kmart gift cards, and I got a bunch of those, so maybe try that.
  • We just registered and put the cards froom babies r us in with the invite...I wouldn't specifically say what to buy and not buy.....my sister iin law did that and everyone did the opposite to spite her cuz they say how rude they thought it was....she ended up only getting clothes. We got a goood mix of things from registry and not from it but just returned what we g
  • Usually yours and his immediate family get you all the big stuff. Friends and extended family are supposed to get you medium size to smaller stuff.
  • I gently worded mine by saying “Ashley has registered for baby's essentials at Target and Target.com"
  • My family always asks in advance what big things we need then grandparents choose what they want to give and the rest is divided up between great grandparents, godparents, aunts & uncles... and clothes and small stuff comes from other guests. I usually don't register expecting to get that stuff but more to give people an idea of what we like for baby. Maybe you could just ask close family for specific things...
  • The economy is always bad.
  • I wouldn't put something like that in s invite no offense but you shouldn't expect ppl to buy you big items its nice if they do buy don't be pushy about it. Just put at the bottom where you are registered at. That's what I did cause everyone kept asking where I was registered at
  • That's true @shaniam. It seems like people have less disposable income now (or less available credit, at least, lol). I know I gave much larger gifts 5 years ago than I am able to now. I was able to buy both of my besties a stroller when we had our first kids, now I'm shopping more in the $30 range.
  • I agree w @laura 536 don't expect a lot bc of the economy justt let them know u have a regestry for the baby and that will help w do you have this or that
  • Thank you all for ur replies and advice. That's exactly What I was worried about was sounding ungrateful and tackey. And Just be to be clear I wasn't trying to ask people to spend a lot of money I was trying to get people to spend what they would have any way and go in on the larger items with people. Anyway I guess Its not really possible without being rude. I will totally be happy and grateful for any and every gift we receive. I am just nervous what we will do if a lot of essentials are left to be purchased.
  • I'm having my shower next month n I know how hard it can be to exchange items, maybe wrong size or doubles, so I put on the invite that if you bring in a gift receipt u get a raffle ticket for a Starbucks gift card. Hopefully people don't think its rude since I'm giving them a reason to bring it in!!
  • I was gonna have a gender reveal and was making my own invites. I was gonna ask for gift cards or monetary donations. Here's how I was gonna word that part of the invite ...
    "In anticipation of this reveal a gift card would be ideal, or maybe you'll choose a monetary donation with that we'll also have great appreciation."
    Idk kinda long but I was gonna word my invite for my reveal / shower invite something like this. I also look up online for wording suggestions.
  • Easy if you want people to put in together and go big ask someone to be in charge or group gift. And on invite it is fine to say where you are registered and just put contact ____ for info on group gift. that way people can send 5 to 500 dollars depending on what they can afford.
  • I just finished registering at Target & babys r us. More things at target though. Its cheaper.. I hope I registered for everything I needed. I've never did this before. I'm also thinking of adding to the invite something like... gift cards are also welcome. That way I can put the cards together & buy wat wasn't bought.