diaper bag supplies..?

edited July 2011 in Third Trimester
So..I'm a ftm and I'm due 9-6 :) I'm nesting like crazy and I want to get her diaper bag ready so when I go into labor I can take that and our overnight bag. What needs to be in the diaper bag..?
I have..
Newborn diapers
Wipes
The changing pad thing
Her first outfit
A backup outfit in case she needs it
A jacket in case its cold or we are released at night
Socks
Lotion
I don't know what else she could need lol. I know at the hospital they will give us some diapers and sample things so I have plenty of room for additional stuff but I don't want to forget anything. My over night bag will have the phone chargers and my hygein items so this is just for Lilly. Thanks ladies! :)

Comments

• receiving blankets, desitin, bibs, washcloths :)
  • Bump. I'm due 9-8 and hoping you get lots and lots of input on this as I'm slightly lost lol.
  • Bump i need this info also lol
  • maybe hats or paci if your going to use them. i think the hospital gives you just about everything you need while your there except the clothes.
  • receiving blankets, burping clothes, those newborn caps, mitts to keep baby from scratching(or just use a pair of socks). maybe a pacifier, and not sure if ur bf but a bottle or 2 maybe.
  • With my first daughter the hospital gave me everything as well as a first few days supply of things. Here's a hint while you are there hide things and they bring you more if you ask....That was given to me by a nurse when I delivered my first. lol I only brought clothes and hair things and a special toy or blanket for pictures to be taken on if wanted. Most hospitals make it rather easy to transition home. Some moms may hate what I have to say next but I was told by my nurse to utilize the nursery to catch up on rest while your in the hospital, cause when you go home you are on your own! Take the advice Please! It will save you some mental anguish later.
  • @grissy_barria thank you! I just added that stuff too (I didn't even think about desitin, if she gets a rash do you think the hospital will have something to treat it or if we forget desitin will she be suffering :( )
    @rckprincess2 and @emy thanks for the bump lol! Seemed like a thread we could all benefit from ;)
    @snowflake I am proud to say I remembered a couple hats all on my own lol..the paci however I forgot. Adding it now, thank you so much for the input!!
  • Check with your hospital first but all I need to bring is clothes for the baby. They gave me blankets to use while I was there and one for the ride home. They gave me plenty of diapers and wipes. Cream for diaper rash and for my nipples (I breastfed) and ointment I needed for my sons circumcision. They gave me an infant hair brush and the travel size head to toe wash and a hat. Also a pacifier.... I think that's all they gave me. I didn't expect anything so I brought all that and was cluttered and over whelmed. So ask what they provide so you will have less to worry about :)
  • @btrflyqt85 mitts!! I knew we got those for a reason lol..adding a pair now :) I am planning to bf, do you think I should bring the pump? I wanted to bf exclusively for the first 4 weeks at least so as to reduce nipple confusion but if it hurts because of engorgment, I may need to pump..? That was a long thought, hopefully that made sence lol. Thank you
    @cmasat4 that's good to know that they give you lots of stuff! You sound like me with hiding stuff..I even do that when we go to hotels with shampoo and soaps :) I'm so gonna try to get as much as we can to head home with! Cause hey..you gotta save $ where you can right? :) thanks mama!
  • @babynumber02 I didn't even think to ask the hospital, that's pretty smart ;) I don't want to have too much to haul home (I had a dream I had so much and was so overwhelmed we forgot the actual baby lol!) But I want to be prepared too. I will call and ask them and maybe there's a couple things that I packed that can be removed and lighen the load a little! Thank you so much for that advice!

See ladies were getting a pretty good list going! Thank you all for helping me out, so lost without you gals!
  • edited July 2011
    @momtob My nurse had me hiding those little bottles of premade formula, i felt weird at first until I got home, those little bottles come in handy the first day/night home let me tell ya! At least I know now going into it. Oh and you won't forget the baby because they checked my wristband and the babies ankle band before we got into the car!!! They have to go to the car with you to check the carseat usually.

• your welcome. glad to help, :) maybe i missed it on the list,but maybe some bibs?
  • @ the hospital you will have more than enough diapers and wipes so that isnt necessary @Cmasat4 i agree do take "extras" from hosp (diapers,wipes etc) i stashed a pack and asked for more lol hey every little bit counts in saving u $ they also usually give u a paci too but if you prefer her to use the one u bought then go ahead....

*an extra outfit is good,

*socks is a must! seems like hospitals are sooo cold at night,

*the mittens for their hands r good! usually hospitals put on those long sleeve shirts that have them attached but just in case!

*pack like 3 onesies if u put those underneath the babys out fit it is usually the first thing to get soiled!

*Hat

*Blankets

*anything u might want in the pic: a little stuffed animal or special blanket, if youre having a girl then maybe those cute head bands? lol

*lotion you will not need

*Dont forget the CARSEAT! and if you have those special cushion things to help keep their head in place in the car then put it on now so that u dont forget! And if u live in a place where around that time ur due it starts to get cold then those carseat cover things are a life saver i loved mine!

I was overwhelmd with my 1st born as i packed so much stuff and also had people give me presents that it was just so much to haul away!!

Are you going to BF? Check with your hospital but sometimes they give you a breast pump to take home! And if you are going to BF theres more to the list to add for your personal stuff...just saying lol (breast pads, BF bra, they give you ointment for ur breasts)

Dont forget your insurance card, and all the info youll need for baby too (pediatricians #)

Are you doing a scrap book thing? if u are it is a good idea to bring it so that when they do the footprints on the certificate they can also put it in your book! :)

Ofcourse dont forget the camera!!

The best advice i got was "pack like your going into labor tomorrow" Have everything ready bc once u get home, you will not want to do a darn thing lol have the carseat base in the car, all laundry done, meal plans? etc..... Have it all ready bc it sucks to come home to do more work!
  • So I just did my hospital tour and I am not bringing anything! This is baby #2 for me. The hospital provides everything your baby will need. Anything you bring will be extra just for personal comfort. I will bring my own hygeine stuff and other items for me and labor stuff like music and candy. For baby I will bring a few outfit, snugly blankie, socks, mittens and a car seat. The hospital told me once I. Have baby I will be moved to a post pardum room. Baby will have his lil bassinet which is fully loaded with everything he will need. And every morning a nurse will come take him weigh and re stock the cart. with my first son most of the stuff I brought I didn't use. No one needs a magizine after having a baby duh lol. The hospital said to bring 1 outfit for baby to wear home and a car seat. I think they want baby to wear what they provided while in hospital I should of asked. If I have to stay for 2 days I am gonna get bored and want to dress him up.
  • You are very welcome :)
  • @mamato2boys good advice..thank you SO much!! Take out the lotion, add another onsie to be safe :) I'm installing the car seat base this weekend with shaun, to be sure he learns how too lol, then were gonna have the fire station check to be sure its right. The car seat cover won't be nessisary, were in idaho so we have a little longer till it gets cold..and I am packing the baby book too! I'm trying to get as much done before she gets here as possible but its a lot lol! I stilll need to do the meal plans but I got some recipies today for good casseroles and things to make then freeze, were gettin there, slowly but surely ;) Thank you again for the great info :)
    @socalmomma2boys I agree about the magazine lol, I think we will be plenty occupied and excited with the arrival of our first baby :) I need to find out what the hospital provides (kinda wish I was bright enough to ask before I started packing the bag cause now it seems might have too much and have to repack anyway to get it right lol). Don't even get started on my hospital bag!! That'll be a whole different post cause, holy cow, I'm not sure where to start with that! Thanks for the advice tho cause its close to d-day and I'm freakin out a little, I won't try to lie lol :)
  • @momtob i dont think ull have to pump at the hospital but if u feel more comfortable taking it just in case maybe a manual is sufficient. theyll give u little bottles of formula at the hospital im sure. that should help as well. good luck!
  • @momtob don't worry as long as you get there you will everything you need. I remember my first I was a mess I just hate the fear of the unkown. I like to plan and visualize and know what I am getting into and that is just not possible at all when having a baby. Just don't worry about it I promise you will have everything you need. Let me know if you want me to post the full list from the hospital on what to bring I don't wanna type it all if ya don't need it haha
  • I'm a ftm but also a new RN and in my L&D rotation our professors gave us advice to give to the new moms. I plan on doing as @cmasat4 suggested: taking complete advantage of the nursery to get some rest and being woken for feedings. It's the only time many of us are going to have the extra help to get that much needed rest. My fiance looked at me like I was crazy when I told him that but you're gonna need it after delivering a baby! I also don't want visitors right away, and my family's well aware of that. There's so much to learn in a very short amt of time and there'll be plenty of time to come see the baby when we're home a day/2 days after he's born lol I also am not bringing anything for my baby except a going home outfit, a swaddler, a blanket for the car ride home, and the pacifiers I want him to use bc the hospital has everyyything you need...remember to stash some away too! It will help when you get home.
  • @Cmastat4 not every hospital has a nursery..my first they did and my second did not. Believe me I was like what do you mean there's no nursery??? They had a room next to the nurses station where if you needed a shower or something and nobody was with you, they'd take the baby but they wouldn't do it overnight.
  • @socalmomma2boys thanks! Would you please post the list for me? I plan on calling the hospital later today to see what they say I will need but I have a lot to do and I'm stressing about it lol. Thank you :)
    @mam082711 thanks for the info..I'm definately worried about not having enough or having to much to haul home. Thanks for sharing your experience and what to expect from your nurse point of view :) sounds like the hospital will have most of what we need other then clothes and
  • @mrs_shu wow I didn't know that! That's crazy to not have a nursery! I bet you were flabergasted! Bummer, I am glad they have nurseries here in colorado! Thanks for telling me that, I love learning something new!
  • Don't stress not good for the baby! Just take a deep breath and know its not like if your forget your pillow babys not gonna come. I will post it in a new thread and tag you let me just get my lazy butt outta bed :)
  • omg!!!!!!!!! i just remembered what else i stole i mean took i took that "aspirator" thing the one they use to clean out baby's nose and mouth! those things are great and the ones they sell in stores are so cheapy and don't work well lol w my 1st son i didn't think of it so i didn't take it and they just throw it out anyway after u leave but i had bought one and it didn't do its job of taking those boogers out i hated hearing my baby breathe w a stuffy nose so when i had my 2nd baby i took a bunch of them lol i think i still have one in the package!!!
  • My son is 4mo. Old ...Mittens, receiving blankets, desitin, more changes of clothes because they need it I only brought two and I had to use the gifts they brought for more, bby hats, burp cloths, bibs, pacifier. Other than that they give you diapers wipes nose plunger etc.
  • I called my hospital this morning and they told me if I don't want to run my bill up to not use what is in the room for baby. (Diapers wipes etc) I can bring my own. Or I can Just take baby a coming home outfit and car seat n they will provide everything else. And baby never leaves me. They have no nursery.