Weird bug bites???

edited July 2011 in Health
I've been getting these weird bug bites every night... I suspect bed bugs, but I can't seem to find any evidence of them being in the couch where I sleep. I've got about 20+ bites on my forearms, and a few around my ankles/feet, and a few on my hands/above my elbows. Every morning I wake up with more... but, while they do appear in a line, there are never more than two in a row, and sometimes only one. The bite itself is a small, hard red lump that's about a quarter of the size of a pencil eraser. They're EXTREMELY itchy like a mosquito bite, but they don't whelp up and get bigger when scratched. They don't look infected or anything, they're just annoying and very itchy. There's no definite pattern... it's all random and seems to be isolated to my extremities. Any thoughts on what it might be? I don't think its PUPPPS... I'm going to ask dr on the 4th at my next appointment, but I just want ideas on what to research in the mean time?

Comments

• Nope. Only one dog in the house, and she has absolutely no fleas. I've seen an odd-looking bug flying around in the house this afternoon... it floats like a mosquito, but doesn't look like one. But I haven't gotten a very good look, cuz it's always just a glimpse. :S
  • Good luck figuring it out. I'm covered in mosquito bites so I know how uncomfortable you must be!
  • @mollybygolly thanks, hun. and yeah, it's extremely uncomfortable! D: Tried any calamine lotion or anything to take the itch away?
  • Yes. It doesn't help much! So itchy!
  • @mollybygolly I'm sorry, hun! I haven't found any itch remedies, either. :( If you find any, let me know! Good luck, hun!
  • @babyluv11 that's actually a myth about chiggers... The best clear nail polish would do would keep you from scratching at it because you can't get to it.... which might actually be a good idea right now. lol. I might give it a try. :) But yeah.... If you look up info on chiggers, you'll find that they actually are microscopic bugs that sit on the surface of the skin. The whelp left from chiggers is actually a tube-like thing left inside the skin from where they were eating. Your body takes a long time to break down the tube, which is why it itches so. But yeah, thank you. :)
  • Could it be the start of scabies?
  • Maybe it could be. Pupps. Its a pregnancy rash
  • I have the same thing too! I thought it was bugs but none of the other 3 people in my house are getting bit. I now have one under my arm that is the size of a quarter under the skin and is hard.
  • Puppps is a rash you usually don't get until the end of your pregnancy and its usually in your stretch marks.

Your rash sounds exactly like bed bugs, and you may not see the bugs or their poop until the infestation is really bad. We got them from our neighbors at our last apartment and I had the bites from Dec to April before we found evidence of the bugs and realized what it was. We had the Orkin guy come and spray for 6 weeks and then we moved, because in apartments, they just travel from apartment to apartment and I did not want to deal with them more than once.

My suggestion would be to get the couch out of your house immediately, shower really well and sleep somewhere else tonight to see if the rash goes away or stays the same. Then if it is, you need to call a pest control company, because that's the only real way to get them gone. Good luck!
  • @katiep8610. Bedbug bites don't make everyone itch, the itches and bumps are caused by an allergic reaction. Ours went on for so long because you can't see bug until your infestation is pretty bad and I was the only one with bites, so we thought I was just allergic to something or that it was dry skin.
  • Lift up the cushions on your couch and check all the crevices for dark red spots, especially in the seams. Use a flashlight. Some of these pictures might be helpful:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp

We lived in an apartment temporarily and got them. It was awful. We had to spray everything, clean all of our bedding and then we put bed bug proof covers on all of the matteresses. UGH!!! X(
  • It might not be the best advice but put mothballs in the couch I heard that helps
  • Rubbing alcohol takes away the itch.
  • try using a lotion or body spray that contains phermones...phermones are natural sex attractants but they work wonders keeping bugs away...i use body spray and lotion with phermones every day especially while up at camp and i never get bit up at all
  • That's bedbugs. Its a pain in the butt to deal with but you need to do it cuz the problem will just get worse. Research online. There is also a great site u can report cases on. Its called bedbugregistry.com

• I've got flea bites all over my legs and tummy my rms have a ton of animals baking soda paste works great for the itch just mix it with a little water and put it on the bite let it stay until dry. Also gold bond itch cream helps. My daughter found that mixing a little a&d diaper rash cream and some cocoa butter together helps for itchy skin we didn't have anything else at the time and she was going nuts so she started expermenting
  • So how can I get my mom to listen? :/ she thinks I'm being paranoid and refuses to listen. :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @angieahrens hydrocortizone?
  • Did you ever find out what was making you itch so bad? I have pupps and nothing is helping :( I going crazy!!!
  • @texasmom3 no ma'am, but they finally stopped popping up with new ones. As for the pupps (which I might actually have the beginnings of on my belly.. it gets itchy an I have small red pinprick spots on it. Idk.) I would suggest a cool terrycloth rag. Might help quell the itch. Good luck, momma!
  • Thanks! Now I'm freaking out cause it says it's more common if your having a boy...I was told that I'm having a girl :) my doctor better not be wrong! Lol everything is pink :o
  • edited July 2011
    @texasmom3 same here! Oh, and I do have one new bite.... On the bottom of my foot! I walked to the bathroom and discovered it was extremely itchy! D=
  • Of no one else has them, its prolly not a bug. Idk bout any remedies tho, cuz the stuff we keep around the house for itches is prescription. It's called voltaren gel.
  • How on earth did u c the bottom of it own foot?! I went to put on socks for the first time in a couple months and could barely get my leg up high enough for that.