Nipple rings, anyone?

edited February 2011 in Breastfeeding
I've had mine in for almost a year. Is it possible to breastfeed after they're out? Anyone have any experience in this area?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I have mine done. Got them done a month before I found out I was pregnant. I'm due in April and I'm going to be breast feeding too. It's going to be very annoying taking them out and putting them back in so I'll probably take and keep them out...I don't want to but I also don't want them to get infected either. :-? Errr.
  • Yes I had mine pierced during my first pregnancy, took them out and left them out. You can choose to put them back in after every feeding, but if you've only had them for a year, it may be painful to do that several times a day.
  • I'd like to know if anyone has complications due to having them. i have had mine out for years, but had them done about 4 times so i'm wondering if, when i do get preg, i'd still be able to with the scar tissue? anyone?
  • @mrsrocketfield1221 you are crazy girl, 4 times lol, ouch! Honestly I don't know with that amout of scar tissue, may have to contact a lactation consultant for that one...
  • I removed mine to breast feed my daughter and I never put them back in. No problems at all. Milk production was plentiful but it did squirt out the holes when engorged.
  • lol. im sure mine are closed... do you think it would be more of an issue for me with having them done multiple times? -not at once. i either didnt like the placement, or they started getting "pushed" out... hence why i haven't had them for a while!
  • I got mine done 6 years ago and u can breastfeed with them in as long as the balls are tight and u clean them before every feeding
  • @kkmommy lol i've heard that many times when people find out (although not something i usually talk about... but since were here! lol) it is crazy. i guess i will find out some day, but will surely get more info when i get pregnant for sure! i dont think anyone can truly answer until we find out for ourselves on this one!
  • I'm planning on taking and leaving them out until I'm finished breastfeeding completely. I just didn't know if the milk would come out of the holes as opposed to the nipples themselves. I planned on asking my doctor at my last visit, but I chickened out.
  • I have nipple rings that have been done for over a year. I was told if you take them out early enough in the pregnancy, you can breastfeed just fine. But, if you leave them in, you may (or may not) have a problem with leaking excessively (sp?).
  • Milk didn't come out through my holes, I didn't have any issues or weirdness at all
  • Milk Comes out the holes. But I didn't leak. Your nipples are kind of porous. Not one place it comes out. But it's usually all in the tip. After a piercing it comes out the sides too. Took mine out as I didn't want to chance them being swallowed. Never felt like getting them back. And I breast fed both my kids no problem.
  • Mine hurt too bad when my boobs first started getting bigger so they're gone. I do occasionally notice a bit of liquid coming out of the holes, so im sure they will end up leaking pretty bad lol. Oh well I hated those damn rings anyways :p
  • Iv had mine for about 4 years. It did not even occure to me to take them out untill my husband asked me about it. I looked it up on line some say it helps to get milk out and some say take them out asap so you have time to heal before baby comes. They say it takes about 8 months for them to heal. I did notic that my nipples are so much more sincitive now then they ever where before.
  • I had mine for about 5 years, I took them out the day I delivered my son, actually right after I delivered him, and I breastfed him the same day. Not a big deal at all. The milk will end up coming out of all 3 holes. I have now had mine out for 4 years, and I am breastfeeding my 3rd baby, and the milk still comes out of all 3 holes, even though I have not put the rings back in! You will be fine!