how do u get a baby to take a pacifier

edited August 2011 in Babies
My daughter won't keep a paci in her mouth but will suck on me until she falls asleep (took three hours last night)

Comments

• bought 10 different kinds til she found one she liked.. we have a crap ton of pacifiers now. lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2011
    she doesn't seem to prefer one kind ( I also have a bunch she does like the ones from the hospital)@ittybitty @mama0811 she likes them just doesnt seem to be able to keep them in her mouth....does ur son like to suck on other stuff alot or is he not a sucker?
  • Is funny to see this post, I have seen posts on people trying to take the pacifier away.. XD but never on how to get baby to take one.. Well maybe she just doesnt like them.. My daughter didnt like them at all
  • Just keep sticking it in there. The mam ones are really good, so are avent
  • @mama0811 im trying to get her to take it cuz she has been using my breasts as pacifiers to the point they get sore and i cry( not a latch issue she is great at bf) @Janet_2011 if she would suck her thumb i would be in heaven but she cant really seem to coordinate that. If i hold it for her she will suck on them but cant seem to keep them in her mouth unless im holding them or if we have something against it holding it in
  • I've heard of people dipping the paci in a little bit of their milk to try & get the baby to take the paci?
  • My daughter and older son didn't ever take to them. My youngest who is 7 weeks today takes them though. It varies! I do know that if I wiggle the paci in his mouth he'll take it unless he REALLY doesn't want it!
  • Put it on their mouth and gently tap on the outside of it until they start sucking. I know exactly, 100% how you feel. My daughter wants to suck on something but seems to be too lazy to hold it. The tapping thing seems to work for us!
  • My sons would not hold the orthadontic teat in there mouths but the cherry teats were perfect.
  • My 2 oldest hated the paci but my youngest loved it... I finally got him off of it... I will fore sure not give my lil girl one when shes comes in sep... Those things are hell lol to break them from and i dont want to go threw it again.
  • We would have soothies on hand for my son *I was his pasi also so I know how you feel, except we did have latch issues so. . .*
    I would hold him like we were nursing but have the soothies over my nipple and kind of wedge it in with my breast. It didnt always work but it was a bit of relief when it did. After a while I could pop it in his mouth after He was asleep and he seemed to sleep better for it. But since he never really learned to rely on them I never had to ween him off
  • Some babies just dont like them when my little brother was born he wouldnt take one at all. It really wasnt a problem to my mom tho. She was ok with it.
  • If she wasn't using me for one I'd not be trying to get her to take one