Need advice about hubby please!!

For the last week my husband has been extremely edgy and downright mean. Everything annoys him. We went to a.birthing class where they said "let him do things his way and u do things ur way" as far as.feeding baby or whatnot. And he said he feels like I am snapping at him and criticizing him about everything. I am not. I know I am not. Even so I have been apologizing profusely and paying attention to what I'm saying and how I'm saying it for the last couple of days so I wouldn't annoy him. Still, he is just as mean and snappy as ever. He says its because he's.tired and I'm criticising him, but swear I'm not!! I'm trying extra hard to hardly even speak! I've stopped asking him for any help with anything at all because I just feel like I'm a burden to him now and that if I do ask it'll just be one more thing he'll say I'm doing that's annoying him. I'm due in less than a month and we still have stuff around here to get done that I just can't do because of my belly... I'm on the verge of tears and I feel like everything I'm doing is wrong. What else can I do?!? Is anyone else going through this??

Comments

• Maybe it's just his time of the month.. I swear men get monthly periods too. Mine can get extra edgy and hormonal at times too. Wish I had advice to help make things better.. hopefully he'll get back to normal really quick for you!
  • @1stWoodsBaby Thanks! I realized about 20 mins later that my hubby has recently started taking Prednisone for a reaction to Chantex (to help him quit smoking -- his temper isn't from quitting cuz he hasn't had a craving to smoke in almost two weeks yay!) But he got a rash reaction from the Chantex and our Dr prescribed the Prednisone about 4 days ago (when he became surly and just not himself) So I googled side effects and found out mood swings, irritability and anger are possible side effects from the Prednisone. Now the.decision lies in whether I tell him he's being horrid and its due to the medication or just leave it be?
  • Sounds like stress give him a night off tell him to either go out with his friends or have a gaming night and you stay out the way something just for him with his man friends will calm him right down and you will be the best wife ever :)
  • Maybe ask him not to take that medicine today and if hes in a better mood not taking it point it out?
  • @Tammy for his bday just recently I planned a two day event like that for him and three of his best friends. Got his boss to pretend he was scheduled to work and his buddies picked him up and they went paintballing, then go-karting. Parked the cars at a hotel and were picked up by a driver who drove them anywhere they wanted to go for 6 hours (that way everyone could drink and I didn't have to worry about anyone being too drunk to drink) then dropped them off back at the hotel where they stayed and then in the morning went golfing. I planned it all ahead of time. Everything was paid for (again, I LOVE Groupon) and no one had to worry about anything other than following the directions to get to where the next event was at. It def cost a pretty penny or two, but he was super surprised and loved it. I did it bcuz we are having the.baby soon and I didn't want him to feel like he was totally tied down.

He also goes out golfing all the time with my oldest brother... In the last month he has gone out once a week... Then they come home drunk from the course and sit around watching tv or playing tiger woods golf on the xbox and drink until early morning...

I think he has plenty of freedom... I tell him he can go out anyway after he gets off work if he wants and he says no he'd rather come home. Or sometimes he stays after for a few beers. (He works in a bar) so Idk what more I can really do to try to accommodate him. Any ideas??
  • My boyfriend was the same way, come to find out he was just nervous about the birth of the baby being so close and was worried on if he could handle the responsibility of another human being. so maybe that's what your husband is going through.
  • Oh he may say he doesn't have cravings but I'm gonna put money on him being so edgy because he quit smoking.. I have not touched a cigarette in 1 1/2 years and I still have random cravings for them, but I absolutely loathe cigarettes.. they say the addiction is similar to a heroin addiction. I would say don't take anything personal cause when guys go thru struggles they take it out on the people closest to them.. just my opinion , I hope he comes around soon !
  • Wow you are the best wife he is a very lucky guy can I marry you :) Xxx
  • edited August 2011
    @JeniFurrFurr He's mad he had a reaction to the chantex, but he doesn't think he can quit smoking without the chantex. He is itchy from the rash so he has to take the prednisone to get rid of that. Our health insurance doesn't cover the.Chantex so we paid out of pocket $176 so I kind of don't want him to stop.taking that either, cuz that's A LOT of.money to waste... I guess I just wish he hadn't started smoking again in the first place. It would've saved so.much money and stress.

Oh yeah, and for the last 11 years he has delt with stress by smoking. So Idk of it truly is the prednisone making him irritable or if @Tammy is right and he's stressing out cuz.baby is almost here... But his parents are both TERRIBLE at handling stress and Always either smoke and/or take it out on whoever is closest to them at the time.... So I worry how he is going to handle the stress plus lack of sleep... :-( I don't think I can handle being screamed at all the time.
  • @mieshasmith35 I hope ure right
    @podgemarine wow! Really?? that is insane. No wonder people relapse so often. Good job on a year and a half not smoking tho!! Idk if he is just saying it or not... They say the chantex is supposed to take away all urges to smoke, but Idk??
    @Tammy haha if he isn't back to my hubby in a week its a deal!!
  • Hhs ve you read the reviews on chantex?! They have some major lawsuits against them for changing peoples personalities and other crazy things!! Its got a black box warning and a lot of drs wont even prascribe it anymore.. I hope his mood isnt from that because effects can be permanent.

My husband is currently trying to quit smokin b.s. and after I read all that & 2 drs in my family plus the one my husband was going to said they would never proscribe it to people we changed our plan of attack!

Good luck & keep us posted!
  • man well chantex did NOT work for my hubby. it was terrible- he puked EVERY time he had to take the pill. he took it for 3 days and lost 15 lbs. it was insane let me tell you. he couldn't do it anymore and i don't blame him, who could, right? sadly he still smokes something crazy and it pisses me off more than anything he does.
    i have taken prednisone many many times and the hot flashes and irritability i have goes through the freakin roof. it's terrible.
    i would mention to hubby that you love him, regardless of whether you are getting on his nerves or "picking" at him isn't the point. you have done your best to darn well stop talking to him because you are upset and hurt you upset him. then tell him you are stressed with the baby coming and you need help with things so you are ready for when baby arrives. reveal the side effects of the meds he is on and discuss it. or just tell him and let him sit with the info for a while. either way you are stressing and it's not fair.

my husband got the same way with our first baby. so in addition to him being the only money maker and all the other stresses we had going on i could tell he was stressed. he usually is passive, but he was a tyrant before we had our first. some of it is probably his being a nervous wreck to. whenever i get to 36 wks is when my hubby darn near loses it and goes from "oh it's ok, it's just the baby" to "OMG is it time to go! is the bag ready? do we need to call you parents to come get the kids?!" every guy is different.
  • Ya its an awful addiction..I did it cold turkey so I'm not sure what side effects chantix has so it could be makin it worse .. and thank u. :)
  • @pnsw524 I googled it and it looked like a lawsuit from 2007 about people becoming suicidal? I read if someone has underlying psychosis problems then it can increase the symptoms of that. Is that right?? My hubby hasn't shown any symptoms of that nature. Just the crankiness/irritability.

@survivormommie3 Thank u for ur advice. I did mention it to him today (in a very non accusing way) and he was very receptive. We had a lazy day today, just ate and cuddled together so nothing too crazy could make him agitated. I told him tho how I was worried it was the prednisone, possibly the chantix from what @pnsw524 was saying about chantix too.

I asked if he was nervous or stressed about anything, he said everything. >_< I asked if we could find a new way for him to deal with stress besides him smoking... Maybe running? The endorphines and such that working out releases... Hopefully we can find a way.

@jtmoon98 Good idea!! Mellow him out so he's slow grumpy!! Haha ill have to remember that if there is a next time.

@podgemarine Idk, it could be... I hope not!
  • i am so happy that you had a decent day! and i am glad he was able to listen and not jump the gun and accuse you of things in return. hopefully he will take to the idea.
  • @survivormommie3 thanks!!
    @jtmoon98 haha REALLY good point! And makes for a.relaxing day