NT scan.....What to expect?

edited August 2011 in First Trimester
So I just scheduled the NT scan for next Tuesday, I will be 13 weeks. I was never offered this scan with my daughter 2.5 years ago (or it so new). I know they are looking for certain markers such as down syndrome, but that's all I know. I kinda just jumped on it when I found out I could get another in depth ultrasound. Anyone have anymore info on it?

Comments

• They look at the baby's neck, for fluid which is the actual nuchal translucency. They measure the bones of the arms and legs just to make sure they are at the normal length they should be. They also look at the heart structure and areas around that. They also look at the brain. It is actually kind of neat that they can see organs and stuff when they are so small. I had one done at 14 weeks and I am 33wks now.
  • Is it the same image quality as the anatomy scan?
  • I believe so... It was for me, but it depends on the drs office and their equipment. I am a plus size mommy and so it was kinda hard for them to see everything, bur they did. It didnt help that at that point she liked to hide behind my pelvic bone. Lol We got like 12 pics from it too
  • @stillsurprised. I've heard from people that sometime that can tell the gender (mostly for boys). Could they see the gender of your baby?
  • No not at that point. It all depends on how the baby is sittin though. My little girl was stubborn, it took 2 anatomy scans for her to cooperate lol. But she has been stubborn for the beginning hehe. They might be able to give you a "it might be a...." But they need to be a little bigger to tell for sure. Usually the earliest they will make a guess is like 16wks from what I have been told.