Serious headaches and meds

edited February 2011 in First Trimester
Hi all... need some advice.

I have been having headaches for the past 6 years. I had a motorcycle accident and have been taking excedrin and zantac ever since. I have tried to wean myself off, and have reduced my excedrin intake to 2 per day and 1 to 2 zantac. I've tried tylenol, but it doesn't work... HELP!!!

Comments

• i've gotten migraines since i was 12 and for me pregnancy just makes them worse and much more frequent. its aweful that i can't take my migraine meds or even excedrin. My dr said only tylenol and extra sleep (which is hard to do with a 4 yo and a 17 month old...). i walk around with a cold pack on my head all the time. Hope it gets better in the 3rd trimester. Good luck lady :) the things we do/put up with for our babies!
  • I get BAD migranes and I take excedrine tension headache and wash it down with a soda. The excedrine t.h has the same stuff as tylenol but w a lil caffeen and the soda adds in some extra. My ob said its ok bc its not a large amount of caffeen. Ask ur ob about it. Its the only thing saving me from pain!
  • @momamar...
    Thanks, I'm definitely gotta try something. I am concerned. I left a message for my doc to call me back, I'll see if there is something I can do.
  • @dobiemomma,
    Thanks for that... I will check in with my doc on Tuesday, but I gotta do something quick.
  • I know I might get bashed for this as it's stronger than Tylenol, but my migraines have caused me to miss an insane amount of work, when I told my doc she prescribed Tylenol 3s. I only take them when it gets really bad as they have eased a little bit, but maybe you should ask your doc is OTC stuff isn't working. They kick the migraine in the butt and I usually feel so much better in about 10 mins which was better than crying laying on my bedroom floor for an hour
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @akmommy my ob said he'd give me that too if my migranes get too bad. He said it doesn't affect the fetus but aspirin and motroin cause the fetus's heart valves to not open and close properly. Jus fun lil info I was never told until last week!
    Feel better ladies!
  • @akmommy i took tylenol 3's at the beginning of my second pregnancy... saved my life! but my dr said i shouldn't take them once i hit the second trimester. with this pregnancy i didn't start getting them again too bad til the second trimester so im stuck with tylenol. boo.
  • Thanks @akmommy and @kerrideeRN,
    I don't have migraines, just headaches that need more than tylenol. I'm not light sensitive, just prone to headache daily. I read that aspirin is bad during the 3rd trimester, although I'm trying to kick it all the way this week. I'm also concerned about taking Zantac. Any tips?
  • @AKmommy I wouldn't worry about it I take Percocet when my head gets out of control. My ob said it's better than exorbitant amounts of tylenol.
  • I don't suffer from migranes, but have to deal with a lot of pain due to chronic pancreantitis. I take zantac 2 Xs a day, and percocet and phenreghan when I have a flare up (which happens more often with pregnancy). All these were prescribed by my ob and I'm high risk, so I don't see them giving me meds that will harm myself or my little man. My Dr also says motrin is safe up until 24wks.
  • @sgthalesbabies...
    Thanks for the advice on zantac, that is helpful. I was concerned about that because they say take other meds for heartburn and indigestion.
  • I get headaches sometimes, but the real killer is lower back pain. I can't stand it! It hurts to even get out of bed so I can go pee. Tylenol doesn't do squat for my back pain :(
  • No problem....they tried switching me to nexium, but it doesn't work as well to me. I also overheard the doc talkin to a pregnant girl while in L &D the other day about migranes, and she suggested fiorcet or midrin. How's your blood pressure, sometimes that can cause unrelenting headaches.
  • I was having really bad headaches but didn't get them until I got pregnant so I am no expert but I went to the chiroprator and it helped a TON! It was like a miracle! I've also been taking yoga which helps. And remember LOTS AND LOT OF WATER! Good luck I hope you find something that works for you!