Am I too young to be thinking about this?

edited August 2011 in September 2011
Me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years and 3 almost 4 months. On valentines day he proposed with a ring and everything, we set the wedding date for June 2nd. but this month he called the engagement off. He said we were too young to get married, he's 22 and I'm 20. My thing is: he think we're too young to get married but didn't think we were too young to have a baby, he's the one who begged me to have his child, and I finally agreed... So do you guys think he's right, that we're too young to be thinking about marriage right now?

Comments

• Well I'm going to say in your situation no.. I agree with your theory because having a baby is more of an adult decision then gettin married. Did u set a diff date or just cut it off entirely ?
  • If he was old enough to ask you to have his baby, and old enough to ask you to marry him and set a wedding date, then hes old enough to keep his word and go through with it. Unless he's changed his mind...
  • We wer married at 21 (now 28) so i'd say no your not too young, maybe he's just gettin scared/ cold feet... Men arnt like us they panic about EVERYTHING! Talk to him and try to be reasuring about it but not pushy because he probably will freak :-) they say women are hard to understand but MEN! Urgh. Good luck hun
  • Definitely not too young! Many couples I know where married at 19/20. And are still together. Myself and my husband have been together since we were 18 and married at 22. Now we are both 26. Or I will be in October lop.
  • @podgemarine no... He said we were just pushing the date back... After he called it off he really hasn't said anything about it. I've hinted around about but still nothing... we recently don't live together, we both still stay with our parents. And he doesn't make that much money at his job, I was guessing maybe he's scared of the responsibility of a family, but if that was so why did he ask me to have his baby???

Oh yeah the only time he's mentioned marriage again is after I broke Up with him and he began to beg for me back and stating how he wants to get married anger be a family. So I'm really confused!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It isnt to young I was married at 19 and my hubby was 20 its now almost 3 years and were still going strong.
  • I was just married 2 months ago and I'm 19
  • I don't think true love should have an age limit however I do feel that younger guys tend to change their minds often about relationships...so if he's not 100% committed I would wait
  • Sweetie , me and big Daddy were married @ 22 years old. Now been married 7yrs & together for 10 yrs next month. The thing he won't tell ya is that he changed our wedding date 5 times. Men
  • I would bring it up and push for it if I were u, that's the point of having a baby is to have a family and live together.. my mother got married at 16 and she is still married almost 30 years now. The age doesn't.matter its the person gettin married and maturity level. Sounds like he needs to really just grow up ..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My husband and I got together when we were seniors in high school. We have been together almost 10 years now. but we have only been married for 3. I do not think you're too young. If you know its right and its who you want to be with, age doesn't matter. I would have married my husband at any point. We were engaged for over 3 years before getting married. I was just too lazy to try/want to plan a wedding lol. Maybe once the baby is born a whole new perspective on things will change his mind again. Sounds like he is just getting scared or his friends are being naggy in his ear. Sit and have a talk and let him explain all his feeling he's having. He might just be feeling overwhelmed with all the changes that are about to happen.
  • Awww girl he's prolly nervous n may not be financially ready for ceremony ect. Talk to him. Communication is key in a relationship. Good luck
  • I dnt think u are but mayb he wants to have a stable career and b able to provide better ..but then again he should've said tht if it is the case..we mature faster than men so mayb he got cold feet..there is nothing wrong with being engaged for years until finances are straight ..that's wat my and my hubby plan on doin
  • Oh wow. Tho I think that a baby is no reason to get married I do feel like if ur ready then ur ready but one things for sure if ur discussing this..HE AIN'T READY and the last thing u want is to marry a man who ain't ready...just sayin :)
  • My husband and I got married when I was 19 and he was 20 almost 21. I'm now 20 and he's 22. We've been married for 1 1/2 years, been together for 2 years. I don't think you're too young, I didn't and still don't think that I'm too young. If you find the right person, who you couldn't imagine being without, then who's to tell you you're too young. I actually wasn't thinking about marriage back then, until I met and started dating my husband. You just know when its right.
    Do you think maybe he just got scared? since you two are having a baby which is a big responsibility and then getting married is also a very big deal.
  • I'm not married, but my grandparents got married when my grandma was only 17 and they're going on 50 years :-)
  • @Cat_SeptemberMommy I think he's probably just putting his friends get to him because he just up and said it out of nowhere and coincidentally he was with one of his friends at the time. He was saying he was to young to be tied down and that there's a lot of things he wanted to do like partying and stuff...
  • My husband and I got married at 19yrs old. We've been together since middle school so he felt confident about our relationship. He proposed, he was nervous. Came to the wedding day and he was excited but still felt nervous lol. It's a guy thing...or one of those things where they say once you get married the marital issues hit you harder that scare them
  • @mieshasmith35 My husband had friends like that. They all liked to party and go to the club, and when my husband and I started dating and got engaged, he didn't spend as much time with his friends. And they got I guess, jealous because my husband was spending more time with me. They would tell him he's too young and all that. And now those friends are the one wishing they had a relationship & wife, lol.
  • IDK about that .. but i can say i was praposed to when i was 19 and ended up calling it off because babies change the dinamic of relationships and if you survive the first year of your childs life your off to a good start.. i would be suspiciouse of the real reason why hes changed all of the sudden.. i mean it just doesnt make any sence..
  • @Cait_SeptemberMommy yeah beefier he met me he use to always be around his friends but now he spends most of his times with me... He was trilling me about how he wants his old life back, the having with friends part, being able to talk any girl (as friends) as he wants. I don't like him communicating with other girls as far as texting and talking to em on the phone unless I know about them and know what they're talking about, but he has a problem with that. He doesn't like me talking to guys either, not even on fb, not to mention on the phone. And I respect that and don't do it... So idk.
  • my husband and I gor married at 18 so no I d ok.t think your too young lol sounds like cold feet or something. Just talk to him and see whats up!