This is only going to get worse, isn't it???

edited September 2011 in Parenting
My daughter is 1 week and 4 days old... and she sleeps best when she's laying on my chest or in my lap. If I lay her on her back on a flat surface, she will only sleep for a short period of time before she wakes up. If I lay her in her infant carseat, she sleeps for quite a bit longer than that, almost double. But if I lay her on my chest or in my lap, she sleeps solid til I put her down. I held her for about 3 hours earlier (I had nothing to do except be on the computer, so I figured why the hell not), and I had to put her down so I could pump. Now she won't go back to sleep! I'm afraid this is only going to get worse. :(( How do I get her to sleep on her own? It's not really that big of an issue right now, because I'm single and don't have to worry about babysitters for a few more weeks, but eventually, you know??? And I don't want to make it worse! :((

Comments

• Oh man that happened to me with my son.. sadly it only got worse he slept with Me til he wlol3 he's only 5 now lol . Have you tried a swing? That's the only place mu nephew would sleep for the first few months
  • @mythical It is impossible to spoil her with too much physical attention right now. Holding her will at this age will not cause her to be clingy and will actually increase her security feeling. She will learn to sleep without being held, enjoy the cuddles now. :)
  • I wish I could help, but my son is the same way with me. Hubby can put him down with no problems if he's holding him, even if he's semi awake. And our son just passes out. But if I try it he's instantly up. So hubbys pissed cuz I'm not "helping" around the house as much as he thinks I should....
  • My daughter liked to sleep on her side at first now she sleeps on her tummy
  • In my childbirth class they told us that babies have a "fourth trimester" and that they need that kind of attention for the first 6weeks—3months after birth. They also said you can't spoil a newborn. Basically baby feels secure like they are still in the womb.

Idk how to help you I just know this from class..... like someone said enjoy it while you can :)
  • I agree with @ashes its true. Your heartbeat and body temp is comforting. It's tough esp when u have to pump and baby won't let you :)
  • My son was like that.... He ended up sleeping in ny bed till he was 10th months... This time I plan to do a little more tough love
  • You can't spoil them! 6 months is when they should be.more independent!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2011
    Yepp papasan swings are lifesavers but my son is 7 weeks old and he still picks sleeping on mommy's chest over anything. He's sleeping on me right now :) I just let him. When he's older like 7 years old, I know I'm gonna ask him to come nap with me and I'm gonna get the "mommy no, you're weird" look lol. So I cherish this time when he loves cuddling with me :D
  • I feel the same