quad screen

edited September 2011 in Second Trimester
I have my quad screen tomorrow at 16 3. How many people have gotten a false positive??? And what all does it intail?

Comments

• They just take blood and not sure how many had a false positive
  • Okay thank you. Im not worried about a false positive because im going to love my baby anyway. I just know if i do get a positive i will have more ultrasounds.
  • @mommyfor3 thank you.
    @oregonmama maybe they will give me an ultrasound and we might be able to find out gender.
  • I had a false positive! Put me through hell for about two months until I finally had an amnio and found out my little girl was normal and healthy. I hate that quad screen now and will never have another done with future pregnancies, it's not worth the stress. Anyhoo its just a blood test that will test 4 different hormone levels in your blood, abnormalities in those levels may be because of chromosomal problems (down syndrome, spina bifida...) based on your results your dr will lower or raise your risk of those diseases. For example my screening came back with a 1in67 percent chance of down syndrome (normal for someone my age with no family history is near 1in2000). If your screening is positive the second step is usually a level two ultrasound where they'll go and look for physical markers of the disease you tested positive for, after that you'll probably receive genetic counseling and be givin the option to get an amniocentesis done.
  • Thank you. Im prepaired for a false positive but im hoping for a negative. We will just see. I have no family history of ds but we only know back to my husbands mother. She was adopted at 9 months old.
  • @feb2012mommy. They told me that the quad screening was now done as a ultrasound and bloodwork at 12-13 weeks. So I had my ultrasound last week at 12+5. Everything came back normal, but the ultrasound tech said that it is hard to get a accurate mesurement because the baby has to be laying properly to get the measurement. For the longest time my baby had its chin touching its chest so he couldn't get the measurement tell the baby finally moved.
  • Mine was positive & I was so stressed out. My numbers came back to basically a 96% chance of baby being normal, 4% chance for Down Syndrome., which they said was extemely high for my age, etc. My very 1st u/s I had was 19 wks which was also to find out gender. It was very long & tedious & I was so nervous as the doc & u/s tech took measurement after measurement for Down Syndrome markers. They said according to the u/s baby looked perfect. I received genetic counseling & they said although the u/s results were very promising, amnio is the only way to know for sure. I denied the amnio cuz I'll love my baby no matter what. But other u/s @ 35 wks was also great. So that quad screen jus stressed me out for nothin, I'll never get it again.