having a hard time *update & about pumping?

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
I don't know what to do :( im having such a hard time breast feeding my baby. Its hurts soooo much and she wants to eat almost every hour. And it takes about that long to feed her. I have cracked, bloody nipples and it kills me every time she has to latch. I make sure she latches on right but its still painful. Does anyone know how to cheer me up?

Comments

• How old is baby?
  • If its any small comfort at 4-5 days you should be over the hump and start to heal. If its still painful in a few days talk to a doc or lc there might be something wrong with the latch even if she is getting enough to eat. And the feeding Evey hour should start to ease up soon.
    my first bf'ing experiance was pure pain till he self weened at 3m. He had a toungtie and everyone treated me like a monster for wanting it clipped
  • oh i went through this with my first.. sorry girl.. :-( dont give up.. have you tryed lanynol.. its in the bf section at the store.. it has the consistancy of patrolium jelly.. a lil thicker.. also after each feeding while your alone.. allow you nipples to air dry.. im telling you the lanilol was a life saver.. its safe for baby.. at first you use it after each feeding and then as your nipples tuffen.. you dont need it as much.. good luck girll i hope you feel better.. and dont worry her feedings will spread out and get shorter cause shell be better at it.. and so will you.. lol.. hang in there and give it a few more wks.. oh yah i forgot to mention that its completely safe for the baby .. so dont wash it or wipe off.. and never wash your nipps in the shower..
  • I'm with @beaded_bunny as well. Have latch looked at and check for tongue tie...I myself had 2 kids with it but got it clipped within a couple months
  • @lae3 yes I have lanolin and breast pads. And ice packs. I'll go see the LC tomorrow. Hope tonight goes better than the last few!
  • @beaded_bunny I've never heard of tongue tie. What is that?
  • You should be getting over the hump. The first week is the worst, it really does get better. If it still hurts talk to someone about it a.k.a. A doctor or lactation consultant. Keep at it :) :bz were here to help if you need it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Me too!! Good luck . Mabey its her latch
  • Tongue tied is where the little flap of skin on the bottom of the tongue is too long. It makes it to where baby can't stick their tongue out or curl it around the nipples properly for a good latch. Most parents choose to have it clipped back so they can latch better plus it helps prevent speech impediments when they get older like a lisp and the ability to whistle. Look under babies tongue and see if baby can stick their tongue out or if its almost fully attatched to the bottom of their mouth. Hope this helps. Keep trying ur almost over the hard hump. It took me about a week before it got better with my son. He's 3 weeks now and its much easier to feed him.
  • my sons tounge tied.. he had no problem with it but i know some drs.. want to wait a while to see how they speek first .. if its not bad enough problem..
  • I saw the lactation consultant and her latch was bad. Her lips weren't pursed out and was causing me pain. I rented a pump and use it to store milk. The LC also said she can be feed a bottle of breast milk up to twice a day if need be, but I secretly wish I could only pump instead. Does that make me a bad mom?
  • Not at all I will love to just pump!!!
  • @misspregger6989 Why can she only be bottle fed twice a day? I have been pumping and feeding for days now due to torn nipples. Should I be worried?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @2girls_1boy I guess they could reject your breast if they're bottle fed. It comes out faster so I guess that makes sense.

I no longer pump, it is a hassle and when she vomited it freaked me out.