fetal hiccups..

edited September 2011 in Third Trimester
Just wondering if i shoukd b worried. I feel the hiccups twice a day and they usually last anywhere from 5-10 mins. Ive read that it could b a sign of fetal distress, but ive also heard that it could be a sign that my baby's lungs are developing.. @HomeBirthAdvocate do you have any info on this?

Comments

• Don't worry, my lil guy gets them several times a day and they last a long time sometimes.
  • My baby had hiccups in my belly daily. She was born a week ago with no complications. She still gets hiccups daily lol
  • edited September 2011
    My baby had lots of hiccubs during my pregnancy and she was born with good mature lungs at 39+1
  • My baby gets them 3-5 times a day. Im 35+5 & have been feeling then since around week 24 or so. My docs dont seem worried, seems to be the norm for my baby.
  • It's normal. I feel them all day long, good indicator of how your baby is positioned :)
  • Thanks ladies i feel soo much more at ease!!
  • My daughter gets them constantly and had them for half an hour or more while I was being monitored in hospital and the staff were not concerned and said it was cute
  • @mommy2b1111

Hiccups are a sign of a healthy baby. They prepare the baby's lungs for healthy respiratory function after birth and they are related to the development of suckling and gasping patterns. A 2007 study suggests that hiccups may modulate the baby's heart rate during the third trimester. Though there is not a lot of research on the topic, it is thought that fetal hiccups usually follow a period of sucking or "breathing," which causes amniotic fluid to flow in and out of the lungs. This causes the diaphragm to contract and leads to the hiccups.

Occasionally hiccups can signal a problem if they are happening too frequently. If a woman notices her baby is getting the hiccups more than usual and the episodes are longer than normal, she should schedule an ultrasound to check for a cord compression or entanglement. Hiccups occur very frequently in the first trimester, but by the third trimester, two to four episodes is considered normal.