delayed cord clamping

edited September 2011 in Giving birth
Just looking for more information or stories from anyone who did delayed cord clamping. I had never really heard of it and just watched a video clip about it but would love to hear from other mums before requesting anything from my hospital...

Comments

• My midwife delayed clamping my sons chord until it stopped pulsating. The benefits to baby are great including reducing risk of anemia. I didnt deliver in a hospital but hopefully your doc is amicable to this.
  • edited September 2011
    @mom2be my hospital is pretty good with special requests and because im low risk I only deal with midwives unless there is a problem. I had never really heard of it till I stumbled across a little bit of info online but would rather hear from other mums than overload myself with info via Google lol
  • I'm going to wait until the cord stops pulsing to cut it, its really beneficial to the baby :)
  • @mommylovessparkle thank you for your input :-)
  • You can try searching but that option stinks here...or maybe inboxing @homebirthadvocate shes pretty knowledgeable about that sort of thing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • how long does it take for the cord to stop pulsating? @homebirthadvocate
  • My mom noticed that with all 7 of us, only my sister didn't have her cord cut right away and she was the only one who didn't have jaundace (spelling?)
    Not sure if it played a roll, but hey it could have :)
  • Well I will certainly be discussing it with my midwives and probably adding it to my birthing plan, thanx everyone for your input :-)
  • @cupcake22 like I said I had never heard of it before either, my son was cut fairly quickly and had mild jaundice when he was born so im very interested in seeing the differences between the 2 when this bubs is born
  • Well if there are no down falls I think its a great idea :) something to look into.
  • From what I have read there arent. I did read one story about a woman who had a baby that wasn't the same blood type as her and it caused an issue, but it was hard to understand what she ment with her story, it wasn't well written, but everything else seems positive @jules
  • My baby girl didnt have jaundice. They were surprised it was super low!! They cut her cord really fast cause it was wraped 3 times around her neck and once around her body
  • I did with my second I think its great tge first the hospital clamped straight away his cord was all squashed n knotted amazing 3rd they cut for "medical reasons" to which I have no idea 10lb12.baby 2lb placenta I think maybe she got a bit stressed cause she pooped on her way out n the labor was only.3 hrs n she didn't have much fluid I dunno all 3 are happy n healthy so meh who knows doesn't hurt them thats for sure
  • Im loving the stories guys keep them coming :-)
  • I did it! I was even high risk, but since he was ok at birth they left him attatched til it stopped pulsating which was about 5-7 mins. I think it helped him a lot. He had no problems at all :)
  • Ya we looked it up a little last night out was a doctor explaining it all so far so good.
  • @jules let me know if you find out anything interesting about it :-)
  • I forgot to mention that I plan on delaying the cord clamping/cutting until its done pulsating. :)
    Figured since there is no down side, might as well do it to give my baby the best start to life.
  • My dr delayed clamping and cutting as well
  • We are taught as midwives to delay as well. I read an article about a still born baby who was left still attached and managed to start breathing on their own after a few minutes. It is beneficial for preemies as well in the resuscitation process. I'll look for article later :)
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Will do I got this whole weekend off of work so I will have time to check it out :)
  • @bahamamama4828 thats incredible, I will be looking it up for sure!!!
    @traciesbaby I will delay clamping for a short time, but by the time she has been out an hour I want family to be able yo visit etc, so think I might not wait that long lol
  • @tricesbaby I will be doing am.hour of skin to skin once she is born then as soon as we are both cleaned up family will be allowed in. Im so over waiting, hope she comes soon :-(