mucus plug?

edited September 2011 in Pregnant
Do you always loose mucus plug before going into labor?
with my son I don't remember ever getting it but my water did break. Also what does the mucus plug look like

Comments

• I am wondering this also.... so bump!
  • From American Pregnancy:

Passing a mucus plug is a sign that your cervix is dilating and your body is starting to prepare for birth. Labor could be hours, days, or even weeks away as the cervix gradually opens over time.

What does a mucus plug look like? A mucus plug may be clear, slightly pink or blood tinged in color. It may be stringy mucus or sticky discharge. Some women may not even notice the loss of their mucus plug because there is already an increase in vaginal discharge during pregnancy.

When should I call my health care provider? If the mucus seems normal in color, there is no need to contact your health care provider immediately. You may just want to let them know at your next visit.

You should call your health care provider immediately if your discharge suddenly becomes bright red and the amount is more than an ounce (about two tablespoons). You could be experiencing a complication such as placenta previa or placental abruption.

The only thing I would add is that it is very thick mucous...you can't miss it. It's almost the consistancy of rubber cement.
  • Oh, and I started losing mine at 36 weeks and ended up delivering DD on her due date.
  • I have a pic on one of my threads lol
  • @jazzi89 of ur mucus plug? Lol
  • Lol yup. I wanted to make sure that's what it was lol