Does anyone have or had children with add or adhd?

Didnt know where to post. Does medication help?

Comments

• I don't have a child with it. Well I do. He's 25 ;) he was on meds for a few years like 6 years. he said it helped him a lot until he grew up and could learn to control it. To make himself focus on what he's doing. Children have a hard time focusing on things and to have add ontop of it makes life nearly impossible. So the meds helped him husband. When maturity kicked in he no longer needed them and has been off meds since he was like 18.. good luck mama!
  • My son was just diagnosed with adhd a couple months ago. We're currently working on the right dosage but it has helped tremendously. He is now able to spend the majority of the day in the classroom. He still has an issue with distractions in the classroom but is able to be redirected. The school is amazing with working with us and he gets to go to the principal to read a book and get a prize when he has a good day and every day at 11 he gets to go on a walk around the school to burn off a little energy.
  • My 8 year old niece is diagnosed with adhd, odd and ocd.. Idk what meds she is on but I do know that they have def helped!!
  • edited January 2012
    My nine yr old was diagnosed a yr ago. We tried the meds but they made him moody. We decided to see an alternative doc and now he is Med free and shows no signs :)
  • My son is bipolar and adhd and he is on meds. He would have been expelled by now if not for medication. I was totally against meds at first becuz he was only 7 when diagnosed and we tried behavior mod and an iep first but he was getting worse. My son is not perfect, he still has his days but for the most part he is stable and can concentrate long enough to get his work done.

My philosophy was this...if he could be successful in school without meds i wouldnt put him on meds. But if he was failing or not able to get a good education i would try meds.
  • @redhead25 that school is amazing
  • My daughter has had it since kindergarten and she's now in 3rd. She is on adderall xr 20 mgs. It helps her out a lot. I wish I could wean her off of it eventually but when she doesn't take it she's a holy terror but then again sometimes she's like a zombie and doesn't do anything but mope around. I feel bad for her on those days and she's gets real grumpy when you ask her if she's OK or if there's something wrong. She's been on concerta xr and that didn't help.so we are to adderall and its working. My brother had it badly and he went through all kinds of drugs until finally he was a Ginny pig for stratera (sp) and it worked! He's 21 now doesn't take pills at all but he still shows signs of it. Everyone has adhd and add a little bit in them already regardless if they want to admit it or not!! Some peoples/kids are just way worse!!!!!
  • My 17 yr old brother has it. He's a jr in high school (was diagnosed as a 3rd grader). He takes medicine for it and it helps him so much. So much so that he wants to take the medicine.
    My 25 year old husband also has it. He took it in school but stopped taking it once he graduated. I'm trying to get him to start taking it again regularly because it helps him so much. He takes it every now and then, but not regularly.
  • My 6 year old has it. We control it by monitoring what she eats and drinks.
  • Not sure if my son has it yet cuz he's only 3 months but my husband has add and adhd, so severe he was diagnosed as a toddler..he took meds when he was a child/teen and says it did help him concentrate and he was able to get passing grades when he did take it..he honestly should probably be taking meds now cuz it still kinda affects him but he can control it better than he could as a child and its not as bad now he says
  • I have it. I was diagnosed at 8 and was on meds till 16 then stopped and then at 18 I was diagnosed bi polar and I'm on meds for that. my husband also has it he was on meds from 6-17 and he is now bi polar undiagnosed bc of the military. My son is 3, 4. In April. And his doc wants him in daycare asap so they can begin testing him before he starts pre k.
  • @fate I dont want to sound rude but I had it. Abs I was on meds and my stepmother monitored my food and drinks and I was miserable growing up bc my Sis could eat candy and drink coke so I started sneaking it and it just got worse for me and the family. I was just over all miserable. So I dont wanna tell you how to parent just give you another perspective on the situation. Ya know ? :)
  • ^^^ the meds were enough to were I didn't need drink n food monitoring. The meds help you control yourself as uoi get older and gain more self control they ween you off the meds.
  • My oldest son who is 8 has it. He has been on concerta 18 mg the last year..that's the lowest dose of concerta....and he has doneway better in school with it. He was on 27 mg which we lowered bc it was making him too tired. He was not diagnosed until 1st grade but I always knew he was ultra hyper...very hard yo calm down. He is the sweetest, nicest boy but wayyy hyper! He had a very, vety hard time focusing, sitting still and getting work done in school. It has made things way better in school! Only problem is it affects his sleeping some but he takes an herbal supplement at night to help with sleeping.
  • @jnlelrod I want my son on meds he is sooooo hyper its rediculous! When did you start noticing him getting super hyper?
  • @ripkaydence He was always really hyper since he was like 1 lol! But it was hard to tell if he really had adhd bc you know boys will be boys and he could have just had a lot of energy. When he was about 4 or 5 in preschool teachers would mention how hyper he was and would just say they would wait until he gets in school and if it starts affecting school work then go from there. Also, my brother has adhd so...that's why a red flag kinda went up. When he got in kindergarten is when it started affecting school work. I kind of ignored it I guess thinking he would grow out of it. Well when he got to 1st grade it was causing a lot of probs. He was falling behind...couldnt focus and just not having a good time. We went and saw a psychologist and he was diagnosed. I didn't want him on meds unless he really needes it but he really did and it changed things a lot. We still has some issues here and there but it is a lot better! He can usually sit still and get things done now :) His younger brother is a lot diff. more calm and does good in school so....I can see a difference in them.
  • @jnlelrod me and his dad have it and I'm already seeing signs. He is extremely hyper, he never just sits still, when I tell him to do something he says ok and then gets distracted. He literally runs from 8am to 930pm when he goes to sleep. The thing that is the most irritating is I have to ask him like 20 times to do one thing bc he gets distracted on the way there lol. Then after 20 times of asking ill spank him bc he isn't listening like unless I walk behind him he will forget. My doc wants to evaluate him but wants him in daycare first. He gets bored so easily too like we went to subway was there for like 10 min I asked him tt sit in a Booth, 1 min later he was running and sliding on his knees!!
  • @ripkaydence yep I know what you mean!! LOL!! It is so frustrating...it's like you love then but it's so hard to deal with! Yea if you and hubby both have it I am sure he's higher risk for it. Even though he is on meds I still have to remind him of stuff a lot. Most days are good but sometimes bad. Last week my hubby went to drop him off at school and he drew a lion on the front seat with pen X( I don't know what the heck he was thinking but....he never does stuff like that! We were beyond upset with him! I mean he is 8 years old! He knew better! He is still.being punished for that lol
  • @jnlelrod OMG! A lion? Sorry but I chuckled a lil bit. That's crazy. Yeah I'm taking him yo the doc tomorrow for his rash abs I'm going to talk to the doc again tomorrow, I'm tired if spanking him for not listening him when it might nit be his fault that he forgets ya know? But the drawing lions on seats I have to agree he knew better! Lol
  • @ripkaydence Yea it was terrible lol!! I really have no idea what he was thinking or if he just wasnt thinking lol!! omg we were so mad! Yea I would def. ask the dr about it..they might refer you to a psychologist then see what they say and then if they believe he has it they will give you options :) I hope all goes well at the dr...I saw your other post about the rash....poor baby :( I hope he feels better soon! Let me know what they say about the adhd and all when they find anything out! Good luck :)
  • @jnlelrod I will def tag you. Thanks a lot!
  • edited January 2012
    @ripKaydence She's allowed to have candy and soda. LOL. It's dyes she can't have... Like red 40, yellow 5. A bunch of them. Those effect her... Not sugar. :P Even some strawberries have red dyes in them to boost their color. Btw, she isn't on meds and hasn't had any outbursts or behavioral problems in almost a year.
  • We do a similar diet as well @fate but we add in whole food plant based. From somewhere I know they aren't dyeing the food :/
  • @fate dye??? Really? How? I didn't know that! Can you explain more I'm super interested. Maybe I can change Joe's diet
    How do you know if it has dye?
  • My fiance is 28 and was a terror as a kid but refused to take meds... there are some days that I have to remind him to think first and control himself... That hyper silly side of him was a huge part of my attraction to him though. So far none of his children displays signs of it thank god!!!
  • @ripKaydence I'm not sure what diet she does but if you look up GAPS diet that's what we do.
  • I have ADHD. Before I got pregnant I was on adderall xr 30mg but I had to stop it because of my pregnancy..I hope I can get back on it soon. I hope i grow out of it eventually. I've been on meds since I was 5 years old..my fiancee has it also I really really really hope our son doesn't have it! the adderall made me feel so boring and like a zombie..it also is an appetite supresser(sp) I gained so much weight when I was off of it.
  • @Chels when I was in hs I was 85lbs and on 72mg of concerta! I hated it I felt like a zombie. My stepmother used to make me take it infront if her and then id go upstairs and throw it up. I kept telling her it was too much but she didn't believe me.
  • My parents made me do that too because they were afraid I was going to sell it lol I was 125 now I'm 175