For moms who breastfed & switched to formula...question

edited October 2011 in Babies Health
Which was easier for you..breastfeeding or formula feeding?? & why did you switch?

Comments

• I'm thinking about switching to formula bcuz breastfeeding seems to be too stressful for me but I wanna know which is easier. Thanks ladies :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I breastfed my 4 boys and due to medical problems I couldn't breastfeed the 5th and I think formula feeding was a lot stess free cause I didn't have to worry abt making sure I ate healthy all the time but breastfeeding was so much easier exspecially during the night cause I didn't have to get up and make a bottle.
  • I breastfed exclusivly and then started pumping and doing half and half but it got so exhausting and hard on me I switched to formula. Its just way easier and less stressful for me
  • @minitrip exactly how I feel I'm breastfeeding & pumping & its just way too much to keep up with for me :'(
  • For me nursing was easier. I didn't have to get up in the middle of the nite to make a bottle, my son slept with me and nursed :)
  • I've switched to bottle feeding my breast milk 2weeks ago. I can't really say what's easier but what's easier for you. Breast feeding could be "easier"; but it didn't work for us. Bottle feeding has a few set backs like washing bottles, prepping bottles, fixing bottles to go out; not to mention formula can make baby more gassy or even vomit. I pump because my LO gets sick with straight formula. But she prefers bottle nipples and it works for us. So it's up to you to decide.
  • @minirip can I ask what formula you use? Has baby ever gotten sick when you stopped giving half and half? How old was your LO when you switched to just formula?

I'm pumping but my supply is depleting and I don't have it in me to pump every 2 hours.
  • I switched to formula full time about a week ago (im on anti depressants that I can't bf while on them). I find formula is much easier for me. The only thing that sucks is mixing a bottle in the middle of the night instead of just pulling him into bed to feed from me. I didn't have time to bf him then pump after plus he was eating way more than I produce. About washing bottles tho its about the same cuz when I bf I still had to wash my pump items. Plus while bf he got thrush. He prolly wouldn't have gotten it if he was on formula cuz I sterilize bottles correctly. It's kinda hard to sterilize my boobs lol. Plus my son is lactose intollerant and I had to cut ALL dairy out of my diet so he wouldn't get gassy and upset from my milk which was hard! He's taken to formula very well but I gradually introduced it to him over about a 2 week span.
  • Plus other ppl can feed him. And if I'm away from him for any length of time I don't have to worry about his food ahead of time nor worry about breast engorgement :)
  • @kingsmama what formula are you using? How old is your LO?
  • @misspregger6989 he's 6 weeks old. And since he's lactose intolerant I have him on soy. I started with Similac advance but it was harsh on his tummy so now he's on Similac expert care with alimentum. It's in the purple can and it works great for him. He hardly ever has gas so long as I burp him well, he never burps up after eating and he has 2 poopy diapers a day around the same time of day. So its easy to see what's going in and what's coming out :) I like this brand a lot. Since its soy tho its more expensive :(
  • I was exclusively bf for the first 3 weeks but stopped bc I was just sooo exhausted she wanted to be on me all the time I couldn't even shower. And I have a 5 yr old to care for as well with no help. I switched to pumping bc I would drown my daughter, milk would just spray out and she would choke. But when I did my supply went waaaay down. I tried to bf again but by then she wouldn't latch anymore so I switched to formula. It is SO much easier! She only gets up once or twice at night to eat! She sleeps for as long as 5 hrs at a time. I can get help now bc hubby can help feed her. I have more time with my 5 yr old to help with homework and stuff. My daughter is 6 wks old.
  • @kingsmama how do you find out if baby is lactose intolerant? I'm assuming mine is not because she drinks 2 oz of enfamil gentlease without throwing up. It HAS to be mixed with breast milk though and she is quite gassy and grunts and turns red when having a bm
  • My Lo was like urs (tho he still grunts while going poo but he's a boy lol). His poop is soft tho not hard pellets! But while feeding he would suck for a min or two then he would let out the biggest screams ever and start crying. U could tell he was physically in pain. And he was gassy all the time I couldn't put him to bed cuz he'd be hurting :( she may be lactose intolerant if u have to mix bm and formula in order for her to drink it.
  • @misspregger6989 read above. Oh and they don't have to throw up the formula to be lactose intolerant. A lot has to do with how gassy they r and if it hurts them.
  • @kingsmama her poop is hard pellets. Like cottage cheese curd size. I once mixed 3 oz formula 1 oz breast milk and she was screaming and kicking her legs for almost an hour. I gave her gas drops and she eventually got passed the pain but it was terrible to watch. I'll talk to her ped and definitely look into getting soy based formula.
  • @misspregger6989 omg u need to see ur pediatrician ASAP. She should not have solid poops at all! ur gonna have to change her formula I guarentee it. She's lactose intolerant if she's fighting her feeds with formula and pooping pellets. The gas drops will only help her for so long too before they stop working. Well u know what formula my son is on but talk to her ped about her bms and her fighting to take it. The ped will prolly have u try enfamils soy formula 1st. But do call her ped and get her in soon cuz its gotta be extremely painful for her especially to poop!
  • I breastfeed my baby when I feel like it. Like if im at home I breast feed her. If im out she gets a bottle. Or if I breast feed her and shes still fussing and I dont have it in me to breast feed anymore I give her a bottle. she usually just has breast milk all day then at night I give her a bottle after a feeding so she will sleep better. Or in the midsle of the night I have my man feed her a bottle so I dont have to wake up at all. My way works perfecr for me and her. Ive also been thinking about just doing formula. But I would be sad if I didnt breast feed so im trying to hold onto it for as long as I can. Just trust ur instincs! Ur gut is always right. Either wayur baby will be well fed.
  • I do both aswell. If we are out then ill use formula. At home its strictly breast. When i go back to work im hoping to pump enough for that but ill use formula to back it up..
  • I changed to formula because my son wouldn't latch on to my nipple because it wasn't long enough. I had to pump than feed and I have a 2 year old and it got way to stressful. The other reason I switched was because I had ppd and I didn't feel comfortable taking meds to help with it even though they say it's safe I didn't want to change it.
  • I'm not producing enough milk
  • @misspreggers6989 I used similac. I got coupons for it so that's the main reason I used it. I tried enfimil or whatever and she didn't like it. And she was about 2.5 months. And yea she has a stuffy nose and cough now. But its about that time colds go around and weathers changing. She was running a temp one day though when I was bf. As much as I love the fact that breastmilk protects my baby and its the best for her imo, I want her also to fight off some of those viruses and sickness by herself as much as possible to make her immune system strong
  • I supplemented breastmilk an formula with my oldest an it was way more stressful. I didn't nurse my 2nd bby at all and I breastfeed exclusively with my 3rd an I love it. I love the bonding time, I love that its healthier. An it forces me to stay healthy for myself also. And nightime feedings r my favorite cuz he jus snuggled up with me aftr he's done nursing. It's the firearm thing! :)
  • My Son Never Latched On, So Im Pumpinq & Feedinq Him Throuqh Bottle. I Have Had 4 Different Lactactions Counselors Come & Try To Help Me. & I Didnt Succeed :( So He is Fed Throuqh Bottle. Lately i Havent Been Producinq Any Milk So He Is Gettinq Half Formula & Half Breastmilk. I Personally Think Formula Is So Much Easier For Me ! The One He Is On Is Already Ready & Made. Its So Stressful To Get Up & Pump After Every Feedinq. I Wish i Could Have Breastfed Exclusively ! But i Know i Tried ! :)