Flu/H1N1 Vaccine

edited October 2011 in November 2011
I had a question for you November Moms. Have you all got your seasonal flu shot? Or do you think that we should since we have a month or less to our due date? I'm 34 weeks and haven't gotten the vaccine & I'm unsure about getting it while preggo, especially since it contains the H1N1 Vaccine. They say if you catch the flu while pregnant its worse but I just don't know.

Comments

• I did :) I got mine at 34 weeks. They really do encourage preggers to get the shot, and you're right, because it can be so much harder on you to get the flu while pregnant. It's just a personal choice. Some people get so funny about shots.
  • I got mine late august since my Dr had them ready n asked me I said sure.
  • They recommend it too because u will bw around baby after born thru winter....I just got the tdap ....for whooping cough ...my husband did too!
  • I didn't get it because most of the time when I get it...I still get the flu anyway. I think I've maybe not gotten the flu like twice. So if I do get it then it will be after she is born. But my bf is getting it tho.
  • It is as important for you as it is for baby......you can pass your antibodies from the shot to your baby and then he/she can be protected for upp to six months after birth when they are old enough to get their own shot...a large percentage of hospitalized children for flu are infant less than 6 months old...you will only pass minimal flu antibodies through bf, the best protection is to pass it though the placenta....I got my shot at 36 weeks and my doc said it was perfectly safe (38 weeks now)...go for it mama!
  • I haven't gotten mine... I didn't think it was that big of a deal I've never gotten a flu shot before.. if it was mandatory or really important thee doc would probably advise it as a must have... IDK lol.. my mom said I should get it but like you said they inject you with some of it.. I was going to ask my doc thee next time I went if I should get it...
  • edited October 2011
    I got mine at 37 weeks & my dr insisted on it... she said it wats best for mom & baby & it will protect us both... i was kinda skpetical at first becuz the first time i got it i got the flu right after... but this time a wk later im still good :) if they offer it for free i wud take it!
  • The flu vaccine is not a live virus...it is impossible for it to cause u to get the flu. @firsttimeoct_mom @mommimisha @mimii36 :) so don't be afraid! Give ur baby a fighting chance!
  • @nicolek87 i was jus stating wat ACTUALLY happened to me the first time i got it however i thought my statement was influencing her to get it since i told her i just got mine & that my dr said it was a good for me & my son...
  • Wasn't attacking u hun...just giving some helpful facts is all:)
  • Just got mine on tues. The nurse I got it from was telling me I was doing such a good thing for my unborn baby!
  • @nicoleok87 Yeh I figured that but when you get that stuff they tell you.. there is a chance you might get thee flu or feel a little sick... but I might get it idk.. flu season has started so it scares me a little... I also stay inside 5 days a week so my chances of getting sick are slimmer
  • The virus is dead in the injected shot for H1N1 so you will be fine
  • I got mine today after I told my doc for two weeks I didnt want it
  • It's worth getting but the shot gave me a sore throat and a head ache for two days.
  • @nicoleok87 yes I know its not the live virus. I wasn't saying the flu shot gives me the flu. I was saying it doesn't prevent me from getting it. I always get the flu anyway..even when I do get the shot. I have still gotten the shot every year since I can remember.
  • edited October 2011
    Gee, didn't know flu shots were so controversial. Lol
  • @nicoleok87 it wasnt controversial to me. Lol. I only answered her question.
  • Sorry for all the late responses. My phone app hasn’t been acting right…

@bailey goose Yeah, it seems more beneficial for me and the baby. I just normally don’t get it.

@augustbaby I got the TDap Vaccine too & I made my husband and son get it. I didn’t want to play around with that one at all. Lol

@Mimii36 I completely agree. I normally don’t get it because it seems like I always get sick right after. But I think I am this time, I made my husband and my son get it though.

@1sttimerarmywife Thanks for the information. I’ve been needing to hear that. I’m still skeptical but my doctor said I should too so I think I’m just going to go get it today.

@mommimisha Yeah I did the same thing and emailed my doctor about it to get more information on it.

@FiRst TiMeOcT_mOm The shot is completely free and it seems like most moms get the vaccine so I guess it is smart to do so.

@nicole0k7 If it’s suppose to protect my baby from something that could be possibly serious then I need to do it.

@Pinkigirl I’m glad to know that. I just need to do it.
  • @nicole0k7 its not controversial I just dnt see thee point to be honest my body has been fighting germs without it this long Idnt see why things would change... before thee flu shot what did they have??? Nothing.. my doc told me its not that serious to get one since im pretty healthy and I never had one before... :-) so im gonna pass
  • Go for it @LoveBeingMommy! My arm hurt for the rest of the day but if you keep moving it around it goes away quickly, that's the only thing that bugged me :)
  • Got mine last week. I was 33+2 weeks. I work at a pediatric hospital so it's get the shot or lose your job. I was nervous too, but the do recommend we get it. The shot is a dead virus ; the mist is a live virus. We are NOT supposed to get the mist. They also recommend anyone who will be around baby frequently should also be vaccinated.
  • Wait we're allowed to get a flu vaccine while prego?? This is the last time I listen to my mother
  • @HopefulMom2Be Thanks for the info. I haven't got the shot yet but I have a cold so I'll have to wait a while.

@KaylaThering Yes. They say it's safe unless you are in the First Trimester but some people are against getting vaccines or taking medications while preggo. But it isn't mandatory.
  • edited October 2011
    I got mine, my son got his and I even had my mom get hers b/c she is staying with us for 32 months. My husband needs his, but he is sick right now so he can't get it yet.