pet owners

edited October 2011 in Third Trimester
My cat has started peeing everywhere this week. At first I thought it was bc the litter boxes were dirty but they weren't really...I made bf change them anyway. He still continued to pee so we went and bought another litter box bringing the total to 4 (we have 3 cats) still peeing. He's 10 and weighs 25 pounds so I was thinking that he might be having a hard time going downstairs to go pee so we moved one upstairs and he's still peeing! Bf is to the point of wanting to give him away. I'm 35+3 and is wondering if he might know that I'm going into labor soon and that might be the cause. But I had him when I had my first and don't remember him peeing everywhere. Any ideas of why he's doing this and how to get him to stop?

Comments

• Maybe he has a uti? Or another health issue. My sisters old cat always had urinary problems and when he was in pain he would pee everywhere. It's like their way of getting your attention.
  • The majority of the time when a cat stops using the litter.box its because they are sick not something behavior related.
    Take him to the vet to rule ut any illness first then move in from there
  • @starrxoxo9 the vet was my next option...I just didn't want them to run all these tests on him to try to find something wrong and leave me with an astronomical bill. So most likely they'll just treat for a uti then?
  • I would get him checked at the vet. Unfortunately my cat did it too when my second baby was born. And he didn't do it at all with my first. So now he's an outside Kitty! :(
  • Is he fixed?
  • yea i agree get him checked by a vet
  • @jericka08 yeah he's fixed.
    @littlefae @blessedb_x3 @darknesofnight4u I made an appt for the vet today. I don't want him to be in pain...hopefully this solves the problem.
  • They will probably check for a uti or urin crystals first and hopefully thats all it is.
    Hope you find out whats wrong and its an easy fix
  • Weird...my dog was peeing everywhere last week and that is VERY weird for her :-?
  • My cats were doing this they are 8 & 9i have 3. The vet said we need 4 boxes. And cats are very picky. Mine were peeing on to of each others pee. Basically marking there territory.we had to rip up the carpet it got so bad! They no longer do it, because my husband cleaned it with alot of chemicals and what not he found online. Good luck. our one year old carpet was unsavagable :(
  • i hope so to for you ::)
  • @littlefae @darkneofnight4u they said he might have the beginning stages of a uti..his urine was cloudy with a lot of red blood cells but there weren't any white blood cells. So they gave him a shot of antibiotics and if he doesn't get better in a week or so then I have the bring him back in to do a full blood work up which is $100 and I dropped $170 today for this. Mamas broke now :o(
  • Aw, well hopefully the one shot works. Vets arr so expnsive! It cost me a 100 just to get a stupid torn nail on my dog clipped
  • Were gonna get rid of my little king.. he pees everywhere and the smell is disgusting. I refuse to have a newborn around all tht urine.. i just cleaned my carpet and now hes an outside doggy until we can find someone to take him to.
  • Ugh I know the vet is ridiculously expensive! Hopefully he gets better!!
  • Mine is only a year and a half old and started peeing too, no health problems but apparently it can be a cry for attention so must sense our babies coming! We just have to leave nothing on the floor like a towel or he will pee on it, give him more cuddles and watch out for him digging on stuff!
  • @littlefae @starrxoxo9 if I didn't love this veterinarian I would find a cheaper one but he's the only one that my bfs cat won't bite. He talks to them like they are people and talks them through the procedure or what he's doing which is interesting to watch but it works.
  • @redhead25 Cats, especially boy cats, can get a sterile (not infected) inflammation of the bladder that puts blood in their urine but not much else and they pee everywhere 'cause it hurts, just like a person's uti. That condition if it is mild will usually get better in about 5 days no matter what you do about it. I hope kitty feels better! If he's stressed because of all of the new baby stuff coming in the house, adding some enrichment for him like a cat tree or one of those crinckle sack mazes can help reduce his stress, which can actually bring on the peeing. I hope your kitty feels better!!!
  • @1sttimerarmywife the vet said it should clear up in 5 days...so he didnt need the shot...I paid for a $50 shot he didnt need?
  • @redhead25 He may have needed it, a lot of times those "sterile" cystitis issues can develop bacteria if you don't treat it so it is more of a prevention thing to actually save you more money in the future and having to be on stronger meds...believe me, giving pills to a cat sucks big time :p Plus, if you treat for any possible bacteria now there is less chance the pee problem will get worse. Let your vet know right away if he starts peeing blood or straining or anything like that...fingers crossed it clears up!!!!!
  • @1sttimearmywife he got the shot bc he's extremely large and it would've cost $90 for the liquid antibiotic drops. So the shot was the cheaper route.
  • Is he just large or is he fat? Not to be rude or offensive but my aunt and uncle had a problem like this with their overweight dog and it turned out the dog has diabetes. They have to give it insulin 2 times a day.