Nursing Snuggie

edited October 2011 in Just for Fun
I live in Michigan in a 92 year-old house. Despite our best efforts to winter-proof the house, it is still very cold/drafty (that is if we don't want to incur a $300/month heat bill...and we DON'T!) Last winter I had my preggo hormones to keep me warm. Plus, I always layer myself & the kids up to stay warm. This winter, I will still be nursing. So I've been looking everywhere for a snuggie/slanket-like thing that opens in the front. I havent busted out my sewing machine in years, so that option is a bit too ambitious...Does anyone know where I could find such a thing?

Comments

• You get a snuggie at walgreens, walmart target anywhere...
  • Try a moby wrap there is a way you can nurse with having that on. They are at target for about 44 bucks. Google it and you will see the different things you can use it for.
  • What about footie pjs that zip up the front?
  • Just wear the snuggie backwards!! That's how I always wore mine anyway lol.
  • Hahaha @starrxoxo9 that's a great idea I want one now!
  • @garagebandfan & @queennique i'm looking for warmth+boob accessibility

@jazzi89 yeah, I found something called the "forever lazy" that's like adult footie-pjs but I really think the blanket/dress style of the snuggie looks so much more comfy

I might just try to make it myself. There are patterns and directions to make a snuggie on the web. I have an idea for criss-cross openings in front (comming off both shoulders) that would look like a baggy collar when buttoned. But, could be buttoned over my daughter when she's nursing
  • @starrxoxo9 ooohh, I didn't realize the snuggie had an opening in the back...i thought it had a hood!!! Problem solved, ty!
  • I live In a older house too an one way we keep it a lil warmer is by puttin plastic over the inside of our windows. They have kits to do it at wal-mart an its so simple!! Jus a tip I no its kinda off topic
  • Yea its basically like a backwards robe if you wear it how its intended, but I wore mine with the open part in the front because it was more comfortable that way :)
  • @jericka08 already done! Unfortunately my four draftiest windows are in our family room, where my 2 yo spends the majority of his time, and he has already started pulling the plastic up on two of them...i have a feeling I will be redoing these windows quite a few times this winter!!!
  • @starrxoxo9 awesome! Thank you so much!!!
  • No prob!! Fyi though, I have the actual snuggie brand and its pretty flimsy. Just a lightweight fleece. You might want to research other brands, there are tons of knock offs that might be thicker and warmer.
  • What about a nice heavy flannel or fleece robe? Its adjustable so when u are nursing u could fasten around u and baby. I live in mi too and am not looking forward to the cold winter they are predicting with a newborn :-( good luck mama!
  • @314babymama1120 bleh...i didn't know we were in store for ANOTHER cold winter...yuck!!! Cant we get a break?
  • @math_mommy thats too funny my dogs always tear them atleast once a winter! This year we are doing a thinker plastic on tge outside as well. Hope it works better
  • @jericka08 yeah, I was thinking about doing the outside but didn't know how it would hold up to the elements... Do you know if there is special kits for outside?
  • Theres a thicker plastic you put on the outside windows, its n a kit, I believe we got it at ace hardware
  • @jericka08 thanks! Now, I just have to dig out my ladder (While my bf/bd is wonderful in so many ways he is the LEAST "handy" man I know, so all the home repair-type activities are left up to me. I was shocked the first winter we lived together that in all his 28 years, he had never put weather-proofing plastic on windows!)