can a landlord do this?? second Update in comments

edited October 2011 in USA moms
My husbands job has lowered his hours to the point that he was looking for a second job and found one yesterday, we owe this months rent still.. but he spoke to the owner and the man said to just give him 500 dollars today and we will be OK til we can pay him little by little. Well for this month I have been at my mom's house because I have gone through a lot this past month. Well my husband went home today to get ready for work to find our two TVs and my laptop missing. And the door was locked and it wasn't forced. So is obvious it was someone with a key. Is the owner of the house allowed to do this? If he isn't what can I do about it?

Comments

• Id call the police
  • Um...no a landlord can not just walk into your home and take your property! Call the police! That is theft!
  • Call the cops! No one, not even a land lord is allowed to just go in your house & take things!
  • edited October 2011
    @emy @ashley_smashley @pnsw524 my husband did, he went and made a report and they are going to investigate but I am worried about getting kicked out by the owner since I owe a months rent :(
  • @kristaf22 thanks for the information and support. Ugh I am so worried about everything is frustrating..
  • I also own a rental house. In Iowa the landlord CAN NOT enter the house with out giving the renters a 24hr written notice... I hope the police find your stuff!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks I hope the police finds my stuff too, I don't want him to go to jail or anything I just want my stuff and a month so I can get the hell out of that place. @blessedbe_x3 @kristaf22 I am so worried and to top things off the jerk has his phone off
  • @ashleyfew the bad thing is that is not in writting but is not like if I plan to stay here after what he did. We will be out in a month. Since my husband got a second job we can save pretty quickly to leave way before we get invicted
  • I own rental properties too. Not only is 24 hours notice required prior to entry in most states, I never enter with keys when tenants aren't home. Being behind on rent has no bearing on the situation, either - regardless of whether you have a payment plan in writing or not. You'd have to be several months behind before you can be evicted anyway. Do you know if anyone else has keys like a former tenant? Just consider that possibility, too.
  • Ooo i can't wait for an update on this. I'm sorry he took your stuff. I'm pretty sure reguardless of if you owed money or not he can't do that. Once we were making payments to this guy on our car and he wanted my husband to call everyday to report the location of the car but hubby refused bc he isn't a child and one day went on break from work and the car was gone. He called the police and they wanted him to press charges for grand theft auto. But the guy was like 75 and it was actually his wife who drove the car off the lot. We ended up getting the remaining $400 we owed off bc this guy didn't wanna go to jail. Or didn't want his wife going to jail. He said he took thr car bc we hadn't paid fully and since my husband wouldn't call everyday he didn't want us running away with the car. Too bad for him we still had 3 weeks to pay him in full and it was never agreed he could take the car if we didn't check in. I'm sure everything will work out in your favor.
  • i know in california they have to give you a 24-48hrs notice of entry but theyer not allowed to just enter.. so.. id be susspiciouse for sure
  • and you can request to be there when they arrive.. i know we always stay home if ours needs to come in
  • So.. my husband finally got a hold on the guy and said he didn't do it and that he can't do nothing about it.. so we lost over a thousand dollars worth on property and my husband is freaking out since he is going to be working two jobs he won't get home til 9 pm and doesn't want nothing to happen to me or to our two girls.. we want to move out, I hope the landlord gives us a month to go since we don't feel safe there anymore.
  • And you believe him when khe says he didnt do it? It sounds suspicious to me! I mean come on..you said yourself there was no forced entry! Ofcourse he would say he didnt do it...he doeent want to go to jail!
  • @ashley_smashley no I don't believe him and neither does my husband but we have no proof that he was the one that did it.
  • Yes but if you go to the police and tell them these things are missing and there was no forced entry and that you suspect your landlord wont they investigate it? If not then you can always just file a claim with your renters insurance.
  • @ashley_mashley what is renters insurance?
  • So my mom offered her house for two or three weeks so we can save up and move. Is the best option we have so far.
  • Renters insurance is insurance you have to protect your property incase of theft or loss in other ways....i am guessing you dont have that
  • Renters insurance would help you with your losses. Also the police can dust for prints.
  • @amab13 thanks. @ashley_smashley @Molly I didn't know that existed til now.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No one has the right to take your personal belongings, it doesn't matter if you owe money on your rent or not. We don't live in a bartering society. There are rules to follow and systems in place like this setup so that if a tenant isn't paying the landlord is able to take them to court and have a judge make them pay. Your landlord probably didn't do it bc if he wanted to, he could get a hellva a lot more out of you guys taking you to court or letting your late fees pile up than he could with your personal belongings. Who else has access to your home? Is it an apartment? Are there maintance (sp?) people who have access? Our old maintance crew at an apartment I lived in stole s**t all the time. They have access to the home as well. Do you live in a house with the same locks that the previous tenants had? If you haven't changed the locks there is a chance that the last tenants duplicated the key.
    Good luck with finding your stuff dear. Id check local pawn shops to see if your stuff ended up there.
  • @RhyRiot well there's two locks, the gate lock was changed but the door lock wasn't. Besides he was the only person that knew we wasn't going to be home for a week..
  • @kristaf22 Is OK hun. I am just happy I wasn't home alone with the girls when it happened.
  • Make sure you mention to the police about your landlord if you havent already, cuz seriously I highly doubt he is telling the truth about him not being the one to steal it from you! I dont have renters insurance either but out here, we dont really need it, we have guns and gaurd dogs :D LOL
  • @sunshinelove oh lol i need to buy my self a gun lol