Questions about feedings(breast & bottle) HELP PLZ!

edited November 2011 in First time moms
Ok so my lo is 4 days old & I formula & breastfeed. So when it comes to bfing..do I put her on a schedule or just let her bf whenever she seems to want it?

& with formula feeding. Sometimes she will take the bottle as sometimes she wont take it? I want her to learn to like the bottle also. I go bck to wrk in 6 weeks & I obviously wont be there to give her the boob. & also when she drinks from the bottle she only swallows some &the rest just comes out her mouth. I have the slow flow nipple but it still seems like maybe its coming out too fast. Is that what it is?

Comments

• With my son I take the bottle out every few seconds to give him a chance to swallow the milk since he is used to working for it he sucks harder and it comes out faster in the bottle. I don't want him to choke and boob milk is like liquid gold so I don't want it wasted lol. And I feed on demand. When he wants it. Except when I make daddy give him a bottle then I usually pump because my boobs will hurt and I want to keep my supply up. But they know when to up your supply either from growth spurts or help your milk come in by cluster feeding.
  • @samantha does he take the bottle well?
  • He does now. He didn't the first few times it was a work in progress. I think he didn't like the formula cause when I pumped and put it in a bottle he took it a lot better. But he only got formula the first few days.
  • Breastmilk tastes a lot better than formula, that might be the issue, he prolly just wants B milk! Lol I'm 3 months post partum & back to working 2 jobs (bartending & nannying) and i just had to make a surplus of frozen breastmilk ( i have a 2months supply backup) and pump while I'm at work. . Its not so difficult once u get the hang of it ;)
  • @samantha @BellaRust yea Im hoping when she gets my breast milk in a bottle it will be easier. I dont have a pump yet but im getting one 2day tho because my breast are FULL!
  • Good luck. What kind of pump are you getting
  • Have u tried the drop in bottles ? There like the breast they have to work hard to get the milk at 1 wk old I had to go get the medium flow cuz my baby is only bottle fed an it was taking her like 45 mins wit the slow flow to eat since ur baby is breastfed she may take them pretty good.
  • edited November 2011
    @samantha im not sure yet. Going to walmart to get it now. My breast are sore im in tears!
  • @Mrz_Jackson2anpreggo what brand? Does it matter?
  • The Playtex drop in bottles an liners
  • Don't get the playtex pump. I have it. Its awful. I got the manual one its purple Idk the name lol. They have an electric one too I think for $150 ish. The manual one works great ill be getting a different electric one later. But yes drop in liners are awesome
  • The little ones already come wit slow flow nipples an have sum wit cute gurly designs lol .
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok @ashleyfew @samantha I got the evenflow manual pump..thats all they had at walmart. My sil is giving me hers when she comes in town Monday & she has an electric one. They hurt so bad im scared to even pump!
  • @2ndbutfirst they didnt have any browm nipples. Hopefully this will work better than what im using now tho.
  • Did u buy any of the drop in bottles?
  • Do you feel.better now that your able to pump??
  • Start slow on the pump you dont need to push the handle all the way in you will cause yourself unnecessary pain. I did it. Lol. Increase the pressure over time.
  • @ashleyfew I know now lol. Now if I could just pawn it off on someone lol.
  • My nipples got really jacked up the whole first week I was pumping :( they were blistered and dry and cracked and bled a little on my nursing pads, pretty sure I started off way too quick, but lansinoh nipple cream saved my life, I put it on before I pump, after I pump, and before and after I shower, I'm 10 days pp and my nipples are back to normal and it doesn't usually hurt to pump anymore :)
  • That cream will be your best friend I use it all the time. Maybe get a nipple shield as well. And the gel pads saved my life in just days my nipples felt better.
  • edited November 2011
    @garagebandfan it feels a little better but not much. It hurt soo much to pump!

@pawgio yes mine were already hurting very bad from bfing. The pump made them worse! I think I started too quick also. I pushed it all the way onto my breast. I hope I get relief soon. I dont think I can take it if not.

@samantha yea I realized a couple times that it felt a little better with less pressure but I wasnt sure if that was right so I continued with the pressure. Now I know. & ive been using that cream but it hasnt helped much yet. Maybe it will get better.

@Mrz_Jackson2anpreggo yes. I was showering while she was being fed but my bf said she did better. Hopefully she did.

@EVERYONE who answered questions about pumping. The first time you pumped, how much did u get? & my boobs are still hard and painful! Does that mean I stopped too soon?

• Try a hot shower then pump helps bring out the milk or a hot cloth and massage boobs while doing it. And I just recently started getting a decent amount (4oz) different times of the day you will get different amounts. Morning is best I read my first time I got 2 oz from each boob. However I wasn't able to pump or feed fore 4 hours and I was almost a week pp. Also breast milk helps heal nipples.
  • My son is 3 weeks and I read 3-4 weeks is when milk really starts coming in. Just keep pumping and feeding on demand and it will come in good.
  • That's great hope the work out for u !
  • @samantha I pumped 3 1/2 all together. 2oz from one side 1 1/2oz from the other. But they still feel soo full! Do you know if thats normal?
  • Mine felt the same way I got some relief but not a ton. Idk if its normal or not though. Try the hot rag or shower if you're still uncomfortable. I took a bath right after and more milk leaked out and that helped a ton
  • @samantha I took a shower before I pumped but not afterwards. Maybe it will get better soon. Thanks for your help.
  • It does get better. Just not soon enough lol. I'm still sore sometimes and my son is 3 weeks.
  • It's stressful, but don't give up :)