need advice, moms on foodstamps in ny

edited November 2011 in USA moms
So I'm trying to apply for foodstamps but I hear they put the father on child support. I don't want to have to go thru that cause he helps a lot but I just need that extra help because I'm on maternity leave with no pay right now and I have low income. Did any of you ladies find a way to get around putting your bd on child support for food stamps?

Comments

• In order for them to help you out they have to make sure that the father isnt in the picture. They dont want to give away free money if they can have someone else do it, kwim? So they will have somewhat of a warrant out for him to pay up. With my daughter I applied for foodstamps since I wasnt working. One of the first questions they asked me was "where is the father?" He wasnt there for her birth so he wasnt on her bc. They asked me where he lived so they could track him down, but he wasnt even in the country at that time. So they gave it to me. This was 8 years ago maybe things have changed since then. I do know that they will give you emergency money (ebt card) to get groceries the first month before all of your docunents are submitted. Maybe you can get that for now. I got $300+ for the month with that. Good Luck!
  • I got it but bd and I are together just not married. They included his income. You could always just say you're together (if you're not) and just include his income. Or if you are together tell then you live together and have a common child. ( your baby)
  • Call and ask questions. You don't have to tell your name when you call. Or ask hypothetical questions but your state is the only one that can give you the correct answer.
  • i live in ga they dont put the father on cs here for foodstamps they only go after the father if u are recieving tanf wich is money from dfacs sorry no help
  • No they dont its only if you apply for welfare that they send you to child support not food stamps
  • here in oregon too, they dont go after the dad unless you get tanf money not foodstamps
  • In Wisconsin and Maryland they go after them for food stamps but there is a safety waver you can sign saying that you don't feel safe having the father contacted. They don't need reasons or proof in my experience in those 2 states.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My ex husband is on my daughters birth certificate, but is not her father (has been proven). My ex was very abusive, and I do NOT recive child support from him. In both Maryland and Wisconsin I signed a do not contact form due to the fact he is a threat. I did NOT have to prove it. I still got foodstamps.