Baby sucking thumb

edited November 2011 in USA moms
My 2 1/2 month old just started sucking her thumb she spits out the pacifier and puts her thumb in her mouth when she sleepy or hungry now I have 2 figure out which one is it..im just afraid she wont stop sucking her thumb and grow older doing it anyone with this problem?

Comments

• I had that issue. The thumb won but hopefully she won't be like her older sister and like the stuff that helps them stop
  • @bahamamama4828 lol i know right. At least she doesnt suck it as much
  • O man hope not I have a cousin sucked her thumb all the way until she was 18
  • I think Dr. Sears might have an article on his website about this bc he talked about it on the Doctors the other day. Basically you dont want to keep him from his paci or thumb bc at such an early age this is how babies get comfort. Dr. Sears did say that a paci was preferred to a thumb bc u can take a paci away but not a thumb. Good luck!
  • edited November 2011
    My baby has been suckn his thumb. I suckd my thumb til I was 5. Thank god my teeth wernt messed up. It doesn't really scare me to think how long he wil suck his thumb...an I hav got to admit it melts my heart cuz its the cutest damn thing...lol

• Thank u ladies..mom2bee u r rigjt paci u can take away after 2 days they 4get...breewashinton they do look cute..but not cute when they get older lol thannx again 4 the info and also the links
  • Try a different paci. We had to go through a couple with my oldest, although the hospital shaped ones seem to work the best. I had to offer it to the new baby a few times before she figured it out.
  • My son sucked on his thumb in my belly we have an ultrasound pic of it. Now he sucks on his pointer finger lol. He is almost 4 weeks. And he is so picky about what pacifier he will use. There are only two out of the like 30 we have lol.
  • I've gone through literally every pacifier made and my son won't take any of them. Idk if it's from his tongue being tied or what, bc he'll suck on it if we hold it in but it seems like he can't keep it in himself. However, once he gains control of his hands a little better he'll most def suck his thumb. He gets it in his mouth but usually pokes himself in the eye so it comes right out haha
  • Oh, and although it's cute...I'm gonna have to break it before he gets too old...I had a 31 yr old male patient once who was sucking his thumb when I went in to take his vitals. I think I had a look on my face of surprise cuz his roommate chuckled. Haha
  • Sometimes it works & sometimes not it seems as though there thumb they can just put it in there mouth faster than a paci..samantha that is cute in ur belly..@mama 31 yo he should b ashamed of himself lol
  • My little one is 2 months and 3I days and she's been sucking on her hand since she was born and she found her thumb a month ago but wasn't really sucking her thumb but she sure is getting there but she only does it when she's hungry I don't really mind out now but im going to get her to stop before she's starts teething don't want her teeth to be messed up
  • My baby tried to slide his thumb in I slid it back out and he didn't make an issue of it
  • Yea thats what I say now is ok because there still little but if I see her doing it as she gets older I will put a stop to it
  • @trinsha718 oh he def should be ashamed. he was chatting away on the phone all the while sucking on his thumb. didn't notice my look of surprise though, or if he did, he didn't care lol