Difficult time burping newborn

edited November 2011 in First time moms
Hey all!! I'm having such a hard time burping my lil one!! I've tried multiple positions and still having a hard time. I hate when I give up after 30 mins of trying because I know at some point she will spit up while sleeping...any help is truly appreciated!!!
Here are two pictures of my precious baby Zola!

http://m1214.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Sheila2363/IMAG0437.jpg.html?o=0

http://m1214.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Sheila2363/IMAG0458.jpg.html?o=1

Comments

• When I cant get little Oliver to burp I hold him around his mid section and bounce him on my knee. It works every time!

She is super cute by the way!
  • @ashley_smashley ah I see...I have not tried that but definitely will!!! And thank you!
  • My bby rarely ever burps & it doesnt bothee her. I read somewhere that burping isnt necessary unless they seem to be in pain or they start spitting up. My lo has burped maybe 10 times total & shes almost 2 weeks.
  • @Mimii36 that's news to me! It never fails if I don't burp her she spits up while sleeping and its such a hassle to calm her down again feed her again then try to burp her...lol a freaking cycle...I could only wish she didn't have to burp!
  • If she spits up then she needs to be burped...also you want to make sure that she is completely erect and not slouching. I never get a burp if Oliver is slouching. You can also try gripe water ...that always gets burps out of my LO
  • Thank you! @ashley_smashley I think I'm gonna have to try the gripe water.
  • Instead of jus patting her bak regular pat goin upward
  • I pat my little guy up and down his back then rub his back and then pat him again. I repeat this for about 20 minutes all while keeping him upright. You could also try rubbing her tummy very softly just to get things moving and then try burping her again.
  • Aydon had issues burping before we changed his formula. He would scream in.pain until he got hid burp out. Sometimes took hours. But unless she is in pain I say stick with your current formula/BM.
  • Tricks I use for Isaac (he can be difficult to burp)
    At night since he falls asleep after a feeding if I can't get a burp out of him I let him sleep on my chest for half an hour, it keeps him errect but I lean back so he isn't fully up. Then when I stand I hold him so his body stretches out and I normally get a huge burp out of him.

Durring the day I found just the softest of pats against his back going from lower back to upper back gets a burp or two.
    Sometimes ill pat his back in a circular motion.
    Also just rubbing his back helps a lot too.

My son doesn't do well with firm pats to the back, he doesn't burp and always spits up. I figured out that he does best with light taps that move up and down his back.
    Keep trying different ways you'll find one that works best for your lo
  • Sorry im no help because my little girl burps right as soon as I sit her up I just wanted to say your baby is so cute I love the 2nd pic
  • Cartier will always burp he responds to firm taps while.bouncing up and down slightly. Sometimes I put him on my knee and bounce him up and down and pat him like they did in the hospital nursery. He won't burp in his sleep so I have to slightly wake him or he doesn't get one
  • Raistlin only burps if I lay him across my legs on his tummy and pat his back and rub his lower back