breast milk AND formula?

edited November 2011 in Food
I have been exclusively pumping and feeding Lilly breast milk via bottle since she was born on 8-15 (she's about 3 months and 1 week old). Lately I don't make enough milk to satisfy her but I had a stock pile so I continue to pump and she's hasn't run out yet..but I fear its coming soon. She eats about 30 oz per day and I make about 25 oz per day. I will keep pumping and giving her what I can but she will have to have formula at times. My question Is how do I do this? Feed breast milk sometimes and formula other times? Do I mix them some how? Am I crazy and should I just give up on bf and go to formula completely so her tummy does hurt when she gets 2 different foods lol? When do I give her rice cereal? I'm a ftm so please help! Feel like such a failure right now :( thanks mommas

Comments

• I do both. I just bf when im at home & sometimes give her the formula when we are out. It wont hurt her tummy to do both.
  • I give my little girl an oz of breast milk then on oz of formula every hr I only pump a oz every 2ish hrs
  • My sons bottles are 2oz breast milk 2oz formula, my pediatrician told me to do it that way there is always breast milk in it to help him digest. Also I use enfamil gentlease formula for sensitive tummy.
  • Thanks ladies!
    @pregnantelf so you just mix it 50/50?
    @darknesofnight4u do you mix it together or feed the breast milk first, then formula?
    @mimii36 thankyou!
  • I mix 50/50 or do all BM or all formula. Just depends on what I have on hand.
  • Yep 50\50 just like ta2edblondie said!
  • most start rice at 4 months or whenever babu can hold head up and sit in a highchair
  • I do both. My baby didn't life them mixed together. I just give her a bottle of straight formula sometimes. Esp when my mom keeps her while I'm at work. I'm always ruining of frozen milk.
  • edited November 2011
    I did both. i work full time so it was formula while i was at work and when i was at home it was breast. sometimes i mixed it. it worked for us and it was easier on me. only breastfed for a couple of months though. After this baby is born i will be at home so i will most likely stick with breast
  • If you want your supply to go up let baby breast-feed for a little bit if you are able. It will help boost your supply up.
  • No I don't mix them just one hr she gets an oz of bm then the next hr formula