heat rash or allergic reaction? please help

edited November 2011 in Babies Health
My baby girl has a rash all over her face and belly. Its been going on about a week. I didn't think anything of it at first. I just thought it was a heat rash because she sweats so much in her sleep. I rubbed breastmilk on the rash and it would start clearing up then come back full force the next day. She is mostly breastfed but she gets formula sometimes when I'm at work or we're out longer than we thought. Someone said maybe she's allergic to the formula but I can't remember if the rash started before or after I first gave it to her. I stopped giving her formula for 24 hours but it didn't clear up at all, so if it was the formula wouldn't it start to show improvement by then? I haven't put any lotion on her or changed detergents or anything and the rash is only on her belly and face, no where else. The rash doesn't seem to be bothering her. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do. Are there any suggestions I could try to clear it up. I'm going to call the dr. tomorrow.

Comments

• When my daughter had a rash I found out it was a heat rash because I stripped hr down to her diaper for about an hour to cool her off and the rash went away a lot. Maybe try doing that.
  • My son has bad acne on face back and chest worried also cause on he's face between his eye browse it turn yellow scab looks like fungus and he's getting a Lil by he's nose its alfull my poor daddy hopefully tomorrow the Dr. Lets me do a walk n tomorrow & he sees baby
  • @mimii36 I've tried that. Anytime we're home I just leave her in a diaper but it doesn't seem to be helping. Idk what to do.

@ everyone How could I tell if it was an allergic reaction.
  • What kind of detergent are you using for her clothes? It could be the detergent even if its the dreft baby version... If it really concerns you, you can ask your babys dr.

@Roxy the yellow on his brows and between eyes and nose is cradle cap, but it goes by another name when its on the brows. Gently scrubbing with a wash cloth in a circular motion and then putting a little bit of baby oil after the bath should help some. Olive oil also works great when applied after the bath.
  • Then its not a heat rash. It could really be anything tho...baby ance, allergic reaction to anything, etc. Its hard to tell.
  • I don't think it baby acne, its starting to spread to her back. I think its an allergic reaction to something, I'm just not sure what it could be. I haven't switched her detergent since she was born. Its arm and hammer, they're free and clear type.
  • hi @kimalee2288 my baby boy is 8 weeks old now and when he was 4 weeks old I took him to ER cuz he had a rash on his head, face,neck,back & arms I thou it was the formula or the detergent & and he's Dr.told me he's head was too dry (cradle cap)and that cause the rash on his body. She told me to used cradle cap care twice a week on hes head it helps a lot you can get it in walgreens or grocery stores.
  • Could it be the laundry detergent you use on your clothes?
  • It could be your clothes..perfume..anything!
  • My son had something like that, they said it was cradle cap on his body, like someone else said goes by another name.
  • Cradle cap on body is dermatitis
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bigbelly I never thought of that, but if she was allergic to mine, would it wait until now to show up?

@eeyore @beba126979 I've never heard of that. I'm going to talk to my dr. about it, at her appointment
  • I took her to the dr. he said it just looks like heat rash and gave me some cream for her. He said newborns sweat aren't always fully developed and causing more sweating and heat rash. Thanks everyone for your input.