How long should I keep her awake?

edited November 2011 in Ages & Stages
So my lo is 3 weeks now. She getting where she doesnt sleep all the time during the day now. I read that I should play with her when shes up to help her get her days & nights straight. My question is how long should I keep her awake before I let her go back to sleep?

Comments

• Good question, bump!
  • I kept mine awake as long as possible. She'd fall asleep whether I was trying to keep her awake or no when she was real tired.
  • @1stWoodsBaby do you remember about how long she would hold out at 3 weeks old? My lo only stays up about an hour before she gets fussy.
  • It sounds crazy but I read an hour and a half..then if they sleep another hour and a half...its time to eat...then do it all over again! Keeps them from getting overly tired ..an over tired baby gets super fussy and won't he able to sleep...really helps eastablish a nice routine.
  • That's about how long she could make it too at that age.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My son sleeps way too much I asked his doctor about it but she said it was fine he is 3 months and still sleeps all day and through the niht. I try to keep him up but he goes to sleep she says there is nothing wrong with his brain development and he seems very alert.
  • My baby is 5wks tomorrow I keep her up as long as possible but the most she stays awake is 2 hours an that's around 9pm then I put her to bed
  • I never used a schedule with either kid but I would keep them up for over 4 hours in the evening before bed and it worked
  • edited December 2011
    4 hours at one time! Omg my 3 week old would never last that long without screaming her heart out! Lol @proudmomma
  • Lol I forgot she's 3 weeks. I did that when she was 3 months. Babies figure day and night on their own. Just give her time:)
  • I wouldnt keep baby up as long as possible bc they need sleep to help their brains develop. Troublesometots.com has a good chart that gives you research based guidelines for sleep. A 3 week old should only be awake a max of 1 hr 45 min between naps.
  • @mom2be thank you. Just the kind of info I needed.