Thoughts on crying it out

edited December 2011 in Sleep
My daughter has been fighting sleep so bad lately. I feel bad letting her cry it out and fall asleep because I read that if crying is their way of communicating and if you don't acknowledge them then they'll stop trying. But sometimes I feel there's nothing else I can do. Any thoughts on if it's okay or no. idk...I just feel so bad

Comments

• Bahamamama posted a VERY good link, I loved it! Its long, but worth the read, you will se things diffrently.
  • edited December 2011
    If Tessa is screaming and sounds really frantic I don't let her cry. But sometimes if she's in her swing she'll whine and cry a little, and usually will fall asleep on her own or with a binky. I think it depends on the type of crying. When she fights sleep I will keep it dark, play with her a little (for like 30 seconds) just to calm her, and then try patting her to sleep again. I repeat the cycle until she calms down and it usually only takes 2 or 3 tries.
  • Oh but to clarify, she always falls asleep for the night in my arms lol. When she's in the swing its just during the day for nap.
  • I never let my son cry...I just can't handle it. I read that if you don't acknowledge that something is wrong and fix it when they cry that the baby will grow up thinking that what they want doesn't matter... :(
  • mine cries for like 30 seconds if i put her in her swing when i need a shower or something..otherwise if she wants to cry i hold her when she does because at night, the whole day has overstimulated her or she has her "witching hour" and cluster feeds all night (but personally i dont believe in leaving baby alone in their bed to cry themselves to sleep esp at a very young age when they are learning trust)
    and yes i posted a couple links one recently, another awhile back :)
  • It depends on the cry. I think sometimes you also need to do whats best for you. If bubs is hysterical no, but if its just sooking and you know everything is taken care if yes. There have been a couple times my daughter has gotten upset and I have been in the toilet, doing something for my son etc and she has had to wait 2-3 mins and I rush in asap only to find her fast asleep. As long as its not all the time and only when your super stressed and need a break I think its fine.... And I read the articles posted, it was helpful, but some of it I didn't agree with.
  • @tinka1326 i agree..some things in the article i dont agree either :)