fetal heart doppler

Any mommies use one with any of their pregnancies? I for sure will be getting one the next time I am pregnant purely for peace of mind.

I am just curious if you really had to get authorization from your Dr. before the company you chose to rent/purchase from issued it to you because Doppler ultrasound technology is FDA regulated.

What was your experience with it and what kind/brand did you get? I'm looking at some on this site http://www.babybeat.com/babybeat-display-recorder-doppler-bb250a.html and I was also considering just purchasing this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonoline-B-Fetal-heart-doppler-Backlight-LCD-3mhz-FDA-battery-and-gel-included-/310353706513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484285be11) for waaaayyy less money and it'd be mine to keep. I am just a little iffy on the quality though.

I'd love some feedback please!! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• They sell them at walmart they worked fr my friend I didn't have one not sure of the brand but it was the only one they sold
  • I used this during my 1st and 2nd tri. (Its the blue one, 2nd top left. I didn't know they had the pink one at the time...lol) it works just like the ones at the dr's office. I had to stop using it though. This lo is fiesty, whenever I apply pressure to her, she moves. So it became hard to find her heartbeat. Its worth getting though! I see a lot of people renting them which is a waste of money. The one I got was around $300 originally nowits $52, you can't lose. It also comes with lube

http://www.pulseoximeteronline.com/fetaldoppler.html

• I bought one for my wife and will soon be selling it since we have finished having kids. Just have to see as her sister is possibly trying soon so may give it to her as a preggie present
  • I used one from a website called bellybeats. Picked up hb at 11-12 weeks!
    (the ones at walmart dont normally wrk until much later)
  • @preggointx I've never seen them in Walmart but then I don't really shop there. I HATE Walmart. lol

@babybubba123111 I saw that one on eBay. I haaave to have one next time around.

@dadof2n1togo Aaaw how sweet. Did you have to have written consent from your wife's ob/gyn to obtain it?

@Mimii36 I also checked bellybeats.com out. Their prices seemed a little more reasonable than babybeat.com but, babybeat.com said theirs detects fetal heart rate as early as 9 wks. Did you have to have consent from an ob/gyn before they would issue it to you?
  • Yes bellybeats says as early as 9 weeks also. they both use same kind of doppler tho. For some ppl its 9 weeks & for some its later. When they send it to you it says as early as 9-12 weeks. I could hear the hb faintly & only for about 5 seconds at about 9 1/2 weeks but it became VERY clear & distinctive at 11 weeks. Thats y I said 11 weeks instead of 9 1/2. & no you dont have to have consent first. Its not harmful or anything! I dnt see y any website would make you have consent.
  • @Mimii36 yeah I know they aren't harmful but there are a lot of fakes and knock offs out there. And I saw that they are FDA regulated, I guess I was wondering if anyone hard a hard time gettin one because of that.

Thanks for the info. :)
  • Oh no. You shouldnt have a hard time. BellyBeats is real legit tho! & I got behind on the payment once & they never even contacted me until the NEXT payment was due. Just thought I would share that too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AngelMaxwellsMama
    No we are in australia so it is not restricted like america etc. I just bought it from ebay and it worked great. Wish we had one for our other 2 kids really.
  • edited December 2011
    @Mimii36 oh okay! Appreciate all that! I deffo need one next time around. I regret not tryin to get one this last time but I didn't think it was necessary. I had a stillbirth at 31 wks and I still have self guilt because the last time I felt him moving really well I had some slight abdominal pain but it really was not anything unbearable and everyone tells you some pain and discomfort is "normal" during pregnancy but I know now what's normal for Sally may not be normal for Sue. Also I had just seen my Dr. earlier that day and everything was fine so I foolishly changed my mind about going to get checked. Two days later I noticed decreased movement and my worst fear was true...our little boy was gone. :'( I just feel like had I had a doppler on hand, I would have seen that he was in distress/trouble and I'd be on my way to L&D pronto. I already told my husband that if my Dr. doesn't consent for me to get one, I'll find a Dr. that will. I really need some assurance next time around.

@homebirthadvocate yeah that's why I was thinking they would want your Dr. to consent to in-home use of them. I'm aware of some of the risks associated with u/s technology and I sure do plan to keep use minimal if I get one. I really need it for the latter part of pregnancy cause that's where I ran into trouble last time. I refuse to have another failed pregnancy. Tired of having empty arms. :-(

And oh, I can only imagine how hard it is to find the fhr early on cause at my 12 wks appointment with my son we had a little difficulty, I'm a little overweight though. lol
  • edited December 2011
    Omg..thats so sad. Im also the type to not go get checked even when I think I should because I fear I will just look crazy when nothing is wrong. Your story opens my eyes alot! Were the able to tell you exactly what happened? Good luck this time around sweetie! Youre in my prayers!
  • @Mimii36 Thanks. Well I don't care if I look crazy or not girl long as my little one is okay next time around. My bff already said they might as well be prepared to give you your own personal room for the next nine months cause I'm sure you're going to be getting on their nerves. I told her she was absolutely right...lol. seriously though, I was just wrapped in a blanket of a false sense of security cause I had just seen my Dr. If my appointment had not been that day, I'd most likely would have gone.
    It was a cord accident. His cord was kinda twisted around itself so he wasn't getting any more nutrients. And where the cord connects right at the baby's navel was kinda smaller than the rest of the cord so it was only a matter of time before he would have broken away from his umbilical cord in utero.
  • The ones art walmart are only for late 3rd trio so they are no good early on. I want one I'm 15w 5d now
  • @babyluv8 yeah I certainly didn't plan on getting one from Walmart. I don't even shop there. lol
  • @babybubba123111 is that the same place you ordered it from?
  • @Babyluv8 if youre reffering to the link I posted, yes. That thing became my best friend after I got it. Its not the cheap commercial ones they sell in the stores. I got that kind with my ODD and I couldnt hear anything until I was 6 months. With this one I heard a hb at 9 or 10 weeks (thats when I, purchased it) You have to put it very low by your pelvic bone in order to hear it though. And you may mistake the placenta for the hb. The baby' s hb sound more like a galloping hoarse. Compared to the placenta that has a swish swish sound.
  • I got the angel sounds one from amazon it was really cheap easy to use and gave me peace of mind and relaxation listening to his little train like beats!
  • @babybubba123111 I just get freaked out ordering stuff online hoping I get a visa gift card for xmas and then I will order off of that site!