Y breastfed babies get constipated?

edited December 2011 in First time moms
My baby is only breastfed but recently has not been poopon. he didn't poop for two days then he went sunday cuz I gave him juice an now he hasn't gone since an this is wednesday. Watis causin his constipation? Is it somethin I'm eatin?

Comments

• Breastfed babies don't always have to poo. Because bm is easier to digest. What you want ti watch for is if your lo is straining to poo then they may be having issues but if he isn't straining don't worry about it.
  • I'm having the same problem. My lo is 6.5 wks old. Thursday he pooped. Then didn't poop again until Sunday afternoon, but only after i put a thermometer up his lil butt. N he pooped a LOT. Then the same thing happened. He didn't poop again until last night after i put the thermometer in again. So I know its just building up, dunno y he's not pooping on his own anymore. He used to be a regular pooper. I think its the zantac his doc prescribed.
  • @alilboulding if the poop wasnt hard balls then baby wasnt constipated. try not to do the thermometer thing too much, baby will rely on that to poop after awhile. and breastfed babies can go days and days without pooping like mentioned above :)
  • Yes I definitely wasn't going to do the thermometer deal again. So even tho it was a Lot of poop (literally looked like 3 days of poo and it wasn't hard balls) that wasn't constipation?
    He's been having problems for the past few weeks w.digestion. he cries so hard when he has gas and back when he used to poop. I watched my diet, we do bicycle legs, I massage his tummy and do gas drops, but he still really cries when he has gas. N when he reeeeeeally cries we give him gripe water. This is on top of zantac. I feel so bad cuz i feel like I'm pumping him w.drugs n nothing really helps. Then when he stopped pooping, I worried that it was making it worse. @bahamamama4828
  • I called the advice nurse an she said he's a lol constipated. She told me to give him apple our pearjuice a warm bath wit bakin soda an if that don't work suppositories