how to get him to sleep in crib all night???????

edited January 2012 in Sleep
My son is almost 4 months old now n has not slept one single night in his own room or crib. Don't get me wrong I have tried multiple times! My husband and I are really worried that we have now ruined it ourselves by letting it slide this long. When I try to have him sleep in his crib he wakes every hour n wants to eat... n then around. two am. He is suddenly wide awake n smiling... any tips for me before I lose my mind...lol

Comments

• He might not be ready to sleep by himself, since he is so used to sleeping with/near you guys. It's doubtful that you've ruined anything. Some babies just need the comfort. I only sleep with my kids if something traumatic happened during the day or they have a nightmare. Day one home from the hospital they sleep in their own bed. I like my space.
  • He had a bsssinet in our room but he is just. way to big for it now.so hopefully its not that cuz then I'd have to let him sleep with us but I'm like u n I like space.lol.. I think he's trying to pit himself to sleep now, in hid crib. But I wish I could get him to sleep through the night... @Fate
  • Have you heard of the Cry It Out method?
  • Take the side off the crib and put it close to your bed maybe? That way he still feels close but you have your bed back. I just waited until mine slept through the night to transition them :/
  • Ya I just did that and now he's asleep but prolly not for long....@Fate and I might just have to do that, thanks! @Bahamamama4828
  • edited January 2012
    I wish Cartier would sleep in his room I tried letting him cry for a few minutes but I didn't let him do it too long he was getting super frustrated especially with me being pregnant again I need him to sleep in his nursery because im going to make a valid effort with my new baby to sleep in the bassinet
  • I wish I had advice for you. My kids slept in their own bed, in their own room from the first day home. My 9 week old won't sleep unless swaddled. Maybe you could try that? Good luck!
  • @ariels1stbaby Does your baby have to eat? Or is it like if he sleeps with you he sleeps all night straight threw? We have been getting Jaksyn, almost 4 months, to sleep in his crib in his own room at night now for about two weeks. He used to start in his crib and then sleep half the night in our bed when he woke up. For the past two weeks we have not been taking him out of his crib, and each night gets a little better. When he wakes up we give him his pacifier and he goes back to sleep, sometimes we have to give it to him 5 times in an hour. Progress is definatley being made, he sleeps for about 6 hours straight and then starts stirring around and fussing for about a half hour and we keep giving him the paci and then he finally gets into a deep enough sleep and sleeps another 4 or 5 hours. Our only problem is he shares a room with his 3 year old brother so we dont let him fuss much bc we dont want Logan to wake up. With Logan it only took about a week and he went straight 12 hours through the night. I think if we let him fuss a little longer he would learn to put himself back to sleep faster. You have to make sure they are warm enough and dont have gas or anything though because otherwise I dont think they will fall back into that deep sleep. I like to think of it in the way of how many times do we wake up at night time? A LOT! And most of the time you do not notice it or realize because you go right back to sleep, everytime you roll over you and waking up but you know how to instantly go right back to sleep. A baby needs to be taught how to go to sleep on their own, just like they need taught everything else, and the sooner they learn it the better off everyone will be.

Wow I didnt mean for it to be that long haha sorry for the rambling. This is all just what works for my family and in my opinion it is the best way for them to learn to sleep on their own, otherwise they will be in your bed forever and the longer you wait the worse it is. Everyones opinion is different though, some wont let them cry or even fuss it out.
  • I've been wondering the same thing @ariels1stbaby...and lesson learned from my son: 2nd baby will be in crib from day 1. It's been soooo rough getting him in his crib! Don't get me wrong I love having him in my room, but I know a girl who's 4 yo refuses to sleep in his own bed/own room now, and I'm *not* letting it get to that point! Lol
  • @preggointx I want my son also to start sleeping in his crib because we are trying for another asap.

@My2Boys He gets up to eat once and the other couple times he doesnt even take a bottle. Last night was a lot better he slept from 9-3 which is def. a first! then ate 6 oz. and went back to sleep after i let him fuss for like five min in his crib but then he woke up about 1 1/2 later and wouldnt eat at all so i had to rock him for awhile and then he kinda fell back to sleep and slept until 530ish. idk its getting better I cant complain atm but Im hoping soon he starts sleeping through the night or just wakes up once to eat then sleeps to the usual 7am. And its totally fine! Thanks for the advice :)

@mam082711 I def. wont have my second child in my room with me. He/she will be in the crib from day 1 also. and I know a mom that still sleeps with her daughter also and she is 4, I would never let it get that far idt at least id try my hardest to not let it get that far!

Thanks ladies :)