Do you follow "rules" or do you wing it??

edited January 2012 in Parenting
Just curious about everyones parenting style. My daughter is 5 months old and I have definitely given up on trying to parent "by the book". That only lasted about 2 wks until I realized it was so unrealistic lol. Some examples:

We cosleep, and I'm trying to transition her to the crib, but I'm starting with the pack n play bassinet in our room first. I'm not super strict about it, and am letting her go at her own pace instead of forcing it on her. Some nights she'll sleep in there for 4 hours, some nights only 1. But I don't let it stress me out.

I gave up on tummy time around 2 months. She hated it and would face plant and I couldn't listen to her muffled wails. I worried that her muscles wouldn't develop right but my bf convinced me she would be fine. Well lo and behold, at her 4 month check up she was lifting her head and doing the mini push up after receiving virtually no tummy time. And last night I put her on her belly and she rolled over twice!!

So I've pretty much come to the conclusion that when she's ready for this or that, she'll let me know. I'm really not trying to mold her into the "ideal baby" that books and other sources try to say is right. I truly believe that nature has its own way and I'm going to do my best to not interfere, but to just be her guide :)

Comments

• I kinda do a bit if both, i won't co sleep... not because its wrong but because we've had sids in our family and it scares me. i just sorta judge by what the baby wants really :-)
  • Every child/baby is different. If u "go by the books" u will go insane. Just gotta go w the flow sometimes. Sounds like ur doing a good job. ;)
  • I do my own thing for the most part!
  • @lyndsay1983 lol I'm scared of the crib for that reason. But I'd anyone first hand that has dealt with it.

@mommyof3girls aw thank you!

@whoaababy me too!
  • I'm a ftm so I was by the book, WAS but we just had to figure out what works for us and our baby. My baby was Co sleeping and now he sleeps in his crib all night. Trying to go by the book will drive you crazy IMO.
  • Im a ftm. And I just wing it lol its bad but I still do it and Ive had no problems. But thats just me
  • @hot2cold87 how did you get him in his crib??

@lolasbabynum1 I don't think its bad at all!
  • edited January 2012
    Lol...the same thing you are doing with your baby. His crib is in our room so I place him in his crib to sleep and he would sleep for a couple of hours, wake up and cry to get in bed with us, I would get him and let him sleep the rest of the night with us. Then he just started waking up later and later until he had began to sleep in his bed all night. Also I let him nap in his crib in the day time.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm just winging it. I am 10 years older than my youngest brother so I helped raise him a lot so. I kinda had some experience. This Is our first and my husband will say " how do you know..... something" and I say "I don't, we'll find out how it goes". Babies are smart, if you know and pay attention to your baby they'll let you know what's going on.
  • Well lol he was napping in his crib in the daytime now I lay a blanket in the middle of the livingroom lay his blanket down lay him on the blanket and he naps on it unless we have company b/c our bedroom is upstairs and checking on him is a workout lol and he rolls so laying him on the couch is a no!no!
  • @hot2cold87 ok that's what I figured would eventually happen :)

@kristaf22 exactly I just follow my instinct!!

@cupcake22 its funny to me that tummy sleeping is frowned upon now, but when my mom had me the Dr told her it was the best way! Lol I think it depends on the baby. My daughter slept on her side for the longest time and even though her Dr said to put her on her back I didn't. She startled herself to easily that way. Now she's starting to roll on her back herself :)
  • @hot2cold87 I'm finally having my baby nap upstairs since I got a baby monitor. She used to nap in the living room but some noise would always wake her up lol
  • Lol...when my baby sleeps he SLEEPS! He sleeps with the t.v. on, me and dad talking, dishes click clacking lol; however, apparently I'm extremely loud on the telephone lol! And my baby naps quietly for hours SOMETIMES I always check and make sure he is breathing I'm still very paranoid!
  • I totally wing it
  • @hot2cold87 Tessa used to be like that, now she's like a sleep diva, you can't disturb her or make the slightest noise lol its crazy!
  • Lol sleep diva soo cute! I hope he doesn't get like that we would be in trouble when around family my mom is like the loudest person in the world! And when school starts back he will be spending a lot of time with grandma!
  • @hot2cold87 Omg my mom is sooo loud too!! Lol
  • I like to read the "books and rules" but following.... not exactly. I usually take what they say and change it to what works for us. Especially with this being the second child I dont really care as much... well I would not say it is that I dont care, but maybe rather I'm less worried or less picky about it. My first son had a strict bed time routine and we always stuck with it and it worked great then, but now with two kids it is harder to have two seperate schedules so we have to mix the two and make it work, so we do not follow them quite as strictly. I have learned to just go with the flow, because it is less stressful and makes everyone happier.
  • I wing it. No books here just mothers instinct.
  • edited January 2012
    I read the books because they do have helpful imformation and a lot of good advice. But, the author of the book doesn't take care of my baby and doesn't know my baby like I do, so I take the information and just use it when it applies. My son isn't a big fan of tummy time, but he's also not a big fan of baths and he still gets those once or twice a week :) As of now, my son doesn't roll around on his own, so we keep teddy bears at the foot of his crib, even though thats a no no. But my son has the reflex where he'll move his head if his face is covered so I'm not too worried about him right now. when he gets more active I'll worry about his crib :)