He cant put himself to sleep!

edited January 2012 in Parenting
My son is 5 months old and he will scream until he throws up if I do the self soothe method.I'm not sure how I feel about crying it out...but it can't he ok to this extent...he had awful reflux and colic so he is used to heing rocked or held at nap n bedtime. Will sleep fine on his own once he's asleep..but rarely falls asleep on his own......I don't know what to do ..I'm going to go crazy!!!!

Comments

• Try the ferber method, but extend it to where you do 5 minutes for a couple days
  • If he's not ready, he's not ready. Trying to force it is just gonna give him anxiety about bedtime and it will make it worse. 5 months old is still very young. My daughter is 5 months and I think expecting her to fall asleep on her own is very unrealistic.
  • A swing might work.
  • Anyone else? I know he's young but he's not getting easier he fights it while rock him but if I just lay him down screams til sick!
  • Do you bathe him and feed him before he goes to bed?
  • @monkey_girl our nighttime routine works pretty well..its naps that he bad about! He fights us at night but asleep within 5 min. We bathe bottle and bed and it works most of the time
  • @Augustbaby my daughter is fussy before bed too. If I put her in her bassinet awake she'll cry!! So now I lay her on my bed and she'll lay there until she falls asleep. You have to find what works for the both of you. Good Luck!
  • HE'S A BABY! Babies cry to communicate, he wants his momma! Allie (3) would cry and cry until she would vomit, her pediatrician suggested I get used to cleaning up throw up every night. So she was always held at nap time and bed time.I would hold her until she fell asleep and then laid her down. There is nothing wrong with it. Everyone has different situations, you have to do what works for you. The doctors and the books are good sources of info,but not babies are not all alike!
  • @mom924 I get he's a baby....pretty sure I even stated I know he's young.. I also said that he fights being rocked and held sometimes....I'm not raising him from a book I was just asking for suggestions from other moms. Not to be talked to like I'm an idiot Thanks tho
  • That's not how I meant it. I'm sorry. I was saying this to reassure you that you're not alone! I know how you feel because I went through it with my first. I'm really sorry, I never meant for it to be taken that way.
  • @mom924 I'm sorry. I just took what u said wrong way. There are so many people on here who say things just to argue..so I appreciate ur input.. and appollogize
  • I co sleep takes stress of me and bub.During the day i give her a feed n put her in the cot she cries for 2 secs n goes to sleep. If u put bub down sit next to him n touch his back pr hand so he knows ur there for abt a wk then dont touch for a wk then move away a bit till ur eventually out the door might work. Also it could be to bright in the room. Or have u tried wrapping him. Really helped my kids when learning anyway hope u figure it out. Goodluck xx
  • @bummy87 thank u! Will try!
  • @augustbaby. I really didn't mean any harm. I do understand what you mean about the arguing. I just remember taking her in for well visits and the pediatrician would force it on me to let her cry it out. And she would make me feel like a piece of poo. Fortunately, holding her when she needed to sleep worked for us. And my almost 3 month old sleeps with no problem so far. I wish I could give you some tips. But, I do know what you ate going through to an extent.
  • @mom924 Im sorry again! ...truely! Its just so hard when he is ready to nap when I'm getting ready for work ...I will Lay him in his crib or on my bed or swing and he just screams ..he will until he chokes and vomit..I can't watch it...I just pick him up n rock him...its so hard
  • My son zac always was held til he fell asleep and I decided he needed to go to sleep on his own so I could have some mommy time and so I wasn't rocking him to sleep when he's 2.we do a bath at 9 and do the lotion massage right after and then a bottle and then bed. I put him in his crib and turn his mobile on and leave the room. He does so good. Doesn't cry or fuss unless he's super tired and just wants the bink. Normally out in a few mins. Veryyy excited that he goes on his own! Makes bedtime easier for both of us!